'I want to be a Welsh speaker because...'

I’m really excited now, @nigel-doyle - you mean that when I’m fluent in Welsh, I’ll also be able to play the trumpet?

1 Like

only if you have a Welsh first language jazz trumpet tutor and you understand II-V-I progressions and tri-tone substitutions!

1 Like

Because I want to embrace my heritage and be able to chat to my friends in welsh, as well as customers when I’m at work :star2:

3 Likes

I want to be able to speak Welsh in the home with my wife! I moved from Bristol to Cardiff last November when I got married to Sara, and while she usually speaks English with most friends and in work, she was brought up in Newtown going to Welsh school, so does still speak Welsh with some of her friends! I love the idea of developing that new way of connecting with Sara, and getting to feel more ‘at home’ in my new country!!

3 Likes
  1. I want to be a Welsh speaker because I don’t believe I can and I want to prove myself wrong.
  2. I hope I can one day watch Hidden in Welsh and understand some of it.
4 Likes

… I want to converse in Welsh with my Welsh speaking friends and because, after living in Wales for 50 years, it’s about bloody time I did.

4 Likes

I work in Elderly care and it is important to me to be able to atleast chat a bit with my patients whos first language is Welsh .

3 Likes

…in general learning another language can only be a good thing; and more specifically because N Wales is now my home and it feels right. :smile:

2 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because it will give me the opportunity feel more apart of Wales and the welsh culture. It will open up a whole new world for me.

2 Likes

When I was a child, growing up in the South Wales valleys in the 60’s making my O’Level choices (GCSE for the youngsters), my memory Is that we were told, take French as it’ll be more use to you.
Later I moved to Cardiff to train as a nurse where my accent was sometimes mocked.
I love reading and the English language, but I always found myself saying defensively that I was as Welsh as any Welsh Language speaker, and believing it.
However for years, as I brushed shoulders with, and had friends who were Welsh speaking, I wished I could speak it. With a busy life I always told myself it was too hard.
Lately I tried Duolingo but felt it didn’t help with having the confidence to speak. Then during Lockdown a lady in my street mentioned SSin and I was off. A bit late at 67 but better late than never. I LOVE if from the first introductory sentence. Struggle a bit but surprised how much goes in so I hope to be pretty fluent by 70😊. Thanks all at SSin.

7 Likes

And that above why I want to be a Welsh Speaker

4 Likes

I want to contribute to keeping a language alive. I am English with no base knowledge of Welsh and I started off wanting to make my Welsh fiance proud. Now, I feel proud of myself for sticking at something I found hard and enjoying the act of learning and getting things right (and wrong!)

5 Likes

I spoke it as a very small child then all my elder family that spoke it passed on. Now my nieces are fluent I want to talk to them in my mother tongue and feel the connection I have lost over the years.

6 Likes

Continuing the discussion from 'I want to be a Welsh speaker because…':

I tried to learn Welsh through 3 different schools - a total of 6 years! It just wouldn’t go in so I came to the conclusion I cannot learn languages! I married a Welsh man and our 3 children are all totally bilingual, and I have often thought how nice it would be to join in their conversations without them having to speak English for me! I am hoping this course will succeed where others have failed!

5 Likes

It’s going to be a long sentence … I want to learn Welsh because I met my partner, who is a first language Welsh speaker, and I want to learn his language, and be able to chat to his family without them having to switch to English; because I have lived across Europe and learnt and studied many languages but until VERY recently had never heard a word of spoken Welsh, and had no idea it was such a living and thriving language, and had never been to Wales; because during lockdown my partner and I were apart looking after our respective children, and starting to learn Welsh has been a lovely way of feeling close to him whilst apart; and, lastly, because although I happily identify as English, having been born and brought up here, I also feel very British, and my personal ancestry is a mixture of north eastern England, Scottish borders, and Ireland (sadly no Welsh), and I am thrilled to be discovering another facet to my British heritage, and hope to one day be able to understand more of the literature, heritage and culture associated with the Welsh language. (Phew!)

7 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker, because I fell in love with the language and I look forward to discover Cymru and not “only” Wales when I’ll visit it one day (soon, hopefully).

5 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because it’s beautiful and part of my (albeit) distant heritage.

Since starting dysgu Cymraeg, I have felt as if it’s my “should-have-been” language. I love the sounds - the rolling and the hiss of it. Like waves and foam.

4 Likes

I love your reason. There is a publisher called Seren Books which has put out a lot of Welsh and English books on Welsh themes. They have a series “New Tales From the Mabiginogion” by modern authors that you might like.

1 Like

Thank you Christie. I’ll have a look at Seren books, looks like it would be right up my street. I read a novel when I was a teenager (many years ago!) which was based on one of the tales from the Mabinogion and it has stuck with me and haunted me a bit! I love your sentence too and your description of the roll and hiss of Welsh. I feel a sort of uncanny familiarity with it (not that I’m finding it easy) and I love to speak it. Or try to :joy:

2 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because although Welsh was taught in my primary school, (stariung 67 years ago!), and for two years in the grammar school, I, like nearly all the kids who came from English speaking homes, never achieved fluency, a situation that has annoyed and frustrated me ever since.

3 Likes