'I want to be a Welsh speaker because...'

I want to be a Welsh speaker because… I AM Welsh, but have never learnt to speak Welsh fluently until now …! So, one day when I am confident enough to do so, I look forward to understanding and engaging in conversation with the other Welsh speakers on our football supporters club coach - the look of genuine surprise on their faces will be the ultimate reward!

4 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker so I can speak to my neighbours and the local people in Welsh. I feel it is respectful to try and want to support the local culture. I tried some sentences in the health clinic today and got a laugh when I said in Welsh that I had been learning but that I couldn’t remember how to say anything else…we discussed saying very good/well, which is different around here than on the tape. I am able to pick out words and phrases overhearing Welsh speakers now. When lockdown eases, if lockdown eases, I’ll be doing more of that.
Also, my mother was of Welsh heritage, and lived here during the war. It is nice to honour my mothers memory by learning the language now.

4 Likes

Ooo well done @ruth-cullen - with that approach you’ll be chatting away in no time! :dizzy: :dizzy:

Rich :slight_smile:

I want to be a Welsh speaker because I live in Wales and I love Wales.
I would like to have a conversation with Welsh speaking friends and family.

Dw i isio siarad Cymraeg achos Dwi’n byw yn Sir y Fflint a Dwi’n caru Cymru. Liciwn i siarad Cymraeg gyda teulu a fy ffrindiau.

3 Likes

I am welsh, I used to speak it as a child then moved to England. I want to relearn as I try and be in wales as much as possible. I want to hold conversations and pass my culture to my children.

3 Likes

I have had holidays, lived and worked in Wales since the 70s, and always passed on chances (some free!) to learn the language. I have a sister who lives in Llangammarch Wells, is a more advanced learner herself (with SSSI), and we share Welsh ancestors from both North and South. I had decided to learn more Welsh than ordering drinks some time ago, and the lockdown offered the chance to do just that.My ambition is to be able to speak Welsh conversationally with my sister, her friends, and other speakers in general.

2 Likes

I like your sense of priority - drinks first!

1 Like

My mother did not speak English until she was 11 going to secondary school in Bala, and as we lived in London, she never passed it on - now I’m back living in North Wales, I want to discuss beer with the local farmers (among other things)!

4 Likes

Achos…I was born in Wales, I’ve spent two thirds of my life living in Wales, I live here now but I could say only a handful of phrases in Welsh…a shameful state of affairs which I’m now putting right at last and it’s a most beautiful language. I’m excited at the prospect of my first conversation with Welsh Speaking friends!

3 Likes

I have lots of Welsh speaking friends! Also because I work in a lot of Welsh speaking schools and I’d like to be able to understand what they are saying in the staff room ;0)

3 Likes

Because I am part Welsh and plan to visit Wales in two years to celebrate my 65th birthday!

3 Likes

My partner has been making fun of me because the program hasn’t taught me how to order drinks yet! I’m going to have to look it up I guess

4 Likes

I live in Wales.:slight_smile:

3 Likes

I love my country, but as I live in Pembrokeshire, there is not a huge amount if welsh spoken. I want to be able to have a convo in Welsh with those few welsh speakers around

4 Likes

I’ve always wanted to be able to try to converse with my dad, other family members and friends in their 1st language, and use it at work where possible.

4 Likes

I’ve lived in Wales most of my life and feel I should learn the language. I would love to be able to converse with friends and neighbours. I could also help my grandchildren whose school has recently been re-classified to all Welsh.

4 Likes

Lets hope it’s not to long before we get to order our first drinks in a pub in Welsh, Sarah.
My local butcher has warned me that he expects me to order my meat next week in Welsh…could be interesting.:grinning:

3 Likes

I’m a passionate Welshman I won’t to be able to speak my own language

4 Likes

I am a proud Welshman who has always been embarrassed and disappointed that I am unable to speak my native language. One of the important things that I will be able to do when I can finally speak welsh is to have a ‘one-to-one’ conversation with my grandson who goes to a welsh speaking school and is already fluent.

4 Likes

Learning Welsh is making me feel so proud of myself.

5 Likes