'I want to be a Welsh speaker because...'

Great reasons that strike a chord for me. Pob Lwc

4 Likes

Diolch yn fawr

I want to be a Welsh speaker because it is the missing link to me being Welsh. I am a proud Welsh man but I have never took time to really learn our beautiful language. My great grand parents were Welsh speakers but somehow the language has been lost over the last few generations. I would like it to re-introduce it, speak it on a regular basis and understand the football and rugby coverage on S4C…

9 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because that would help me further integrate into the local community having moved here 5 years ago. Not many people actually speak Welsh around here (Eastern Brecon Beacons) but it would help by letting people know I’m trying.
Hypothetical outcome: A farmer at the local agricultural show speaks to me in Welsh and I successfully respond without looking a total idiot, even if only to say I don’t speak much Welsh but I’m learning. Ideal reaction from the farmer: “Well, at least you are trying, which is good to see in an Englishman”

12 Likes

Me too!

I want to be a Welsh speaker because I’m moving to Gwynedd and want to connect with the people around me in a more genuine way :blush:
(Reasons number 2 and 3 would be: I want to be part of the Cymraeg 2050 project, and I want to understand the lyrics in Welsh rock so I can go to gigs and know what they’re saying!)

11 Likes

Not sure where to put this - can’t find a ‘my big reason why’ thread on forum:

My BIG reason for doing this is: I WANT TO! I think I should be able to speak Welsh. This is for the following reasons: I was brought up here, (have returned many years ago to) live, and work here. It is relevant to my every day dealings with people at work and outside it. People, on hearing my (English) accent expect me to be a Welsh speaker. I learned German (while living there) - so can do it. My Welsh should be better than my German.

8 Likes

Like a lot of folk posting on here, my father was welsh speaking, but as he was in the army we lived outside of Wales. We went to his home in Betwys y Coed for holidays, but he died when I was 17, having taught me Sospan fach and a couple of other things. I always wanted to learn, and have had various attempts to connect with my heritage but now hope I can finally do this at 62, even though I live in Cornwall!

8 Likes

I want to become closer to the community I have moved in to.

4 Likes

I hadn’t thought of the football and rugby coverage! Excellent !

1 Like

I don’t know whether I will ever be a Welsh speaker but I want to be one because I feel a mysterious connection to this language, Wales and its people :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :love_you_gesture:t5:

6 Likes

because… I AM Welsh!

8 Likes

Lucky you! :sparkles:

2 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because some of my elderly patients struggle with English, so I hope to make things a little easier for them while they are poorly.

15 Likes

…being able to speak our language would make my Welshness complete.

9 Likes

Ah, Padawan…your journey to the iaith-side awaits. Can you sense the power :person_fencing:

3 Likes

I want to become closer to the community I now live in.

6 Likes

I want to be a welsh speaker because I work with lots of welsh medium nurseries. I want to be able to understand what is being said around me and join in conversations. I’m loving the sense of ‘making progress’ this method gives me :smiley:

5 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because I’ve wanted it since I was about 13 years old (some 50 years ago). I’ve lived in Southern California most of my life, learned German in school, and have a few words of Spanish and French. Now I’m retired and am taking my best shot at Welsh!

7 Likes

Blockquote What’s your WHY ?
How would you finish the sentence ‘I want to be a Welsh speaker because…’?> Blockquote

…because I fell in love with this beautiful language as a child, and have dreamed of being able to speak it ever since.

Blockquote And what’s ONE thing you hope will happen when you are a Welsh speaker?> Blockquote

Well, I have spent over 20 years dreaming of a move to Ceredigion…over the years numerous obstacles have inhibited me, but I know that my ability to speak Welsh will not only strengthen my sense of connection to the place that has always given me a sense hiraeth, but I feel sure it will ensure that I realise my dream and I’ll actually get there! (Positive thinking and all that!)

7 Likes