'I want to be a Welsh speaker because...'

I want to learn Welsh because Wales is now my home and I like the idea of being part of a community!

4 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because I would like to travel to all parts of Wales and be able to engage in conversation no matter where I was in Wales. I also feel speaking Welsh will allow me to progress in my job.

5 Likes

(For challenge 15) I want to be a Welsh speaker because I want to deepen my connection with Cymru. I donā€™t know where that connection comes from (I have no Welsh relatives as far as I know) but Iā€™ve felt it for as long as I can remember. Also having just read Aranā€™s book (recommended), I want to do my small bit towards helping Cymraeg to thrive. I hope that one day - when I finally manage to speak Welsh in Wales - I will get a surprised smile from a Welsh speaker!

6 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because while my Welsh partner does not speak Welsh, I would like to understand the language when we are on holiday and if we ever decide to move to Wales permanently. (Plus Iā€™ve always wanted a second language so why not Welsh!)

5 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because I live in Wales.
I hope I will be able to have conversations with other Welsh speakers, in Welsh.

5 Likes

Iā€™m not sure mine posted, so Iā€™ll try again. I am Welsh born and bred, yet I canā€™t speak the language of my home. Iā€™m proud to be Welsh, and I want to be proud to be able to Speak Welsh. I also want to talk to my grandchildren whose first language is Welsh. I want to be proud of myself. 3 reasons!

6 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because: a) I believe that I should make the effort to speak the language of the country in which I live; and b) I am expected to teach Welsh to my class so I want to upskill myself.

5 Likes

I want to be able to speak Welsh with my sisters

4 Likes

I want to feel like I belong properly in Wales. Despite growing up on Ynys Mon and having loads of friends and family there, I donā€™t speak confident Welsh. Iā€™d love to be able to move home and live and work there speaking Welsh. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

ā€¦I want, as a Welsh person born and bred, feel a true connection to a country I love.

7 Likes

Iā€™ve lived in Wales for 12 years and have picked up a few words but would like to be able to speak/understand more. Also I speak reasonable Spanish and a bit of French but at the moment it looks like my travel horizons are restricted to Wales so I feel I should learn the language and I want to prove that I can!

3 Likes

i am hoping to relocate to wales if this virus ever allows me to and i want to speak welsh so that i can become part of the community . other than latin at school it is the first language i have ever felt i am making progress with and to be able to hold a conversation will be a big tick off my bucket list.

4 Likes

ā€¦I was born in Cardiff but lived most of my life in Englandā€¦but now Iā€™m back!

3 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because I am a proud to be Welsh and I could then talk to my children and some friends in Welsh

4 Likes

I want to be a welsh speaker because Iā€™m having more fun learning the language than Iā€™ve had with any other in years; itā€™s really clicked for me.

6 Likes

I want to become a Welsh speaker because it is our native language and I dont want it to die out.

I also want to ā€˜surpriseā€™ the Welsh speakers in the school where I work by joining in their Welsh conversations :black_flag:󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳ó æ

3 Likes

because I want to be able to chat with my Welsh neighbours without them feeling they need to switch to English when Iā€™m there.

4 Likes

I want to be able to speak Welsh because I am meant to be ( if covid ever letā€™s me get my house sold and buy one in wales) moving toWales and buying a small holding . Although the area where I am moving there are a huge number of English people, I have more respect for the area and the people than not to at least attempt to learn the language.

It will also be fun when my adult sons come to visit if I can talk to their dad (who is also learning) in Welsh and the boys wonā€™t understand . But thatā€™s just a fun bonus.

1 Like

I want to be a Welsh speaker because I grew up in Cardiff. I only had one year of Welsh in school and when I retired I thought I would like to 1) start something ā€œnewā€ 2) exercise the little grey cells and 3) be reminded of where I come from (I now live in Germany).

1 Like

I want to be a Welsh speaker so that I can speak to my many Welsh cousins in OUR native language and no longer feel quite so disconnected from the culture of the land of my birth and upbringing!
A bonus will be speaking the language to people Iā€™m not related to as well of course!

3 Likes