'I want to be a Welsh speaker because...'

I want to be a Welsh speaker because I want to be able to speak to my grandchildren in Welsh as they are going to go to Welsh school. Also I am Welsh and should be able to speak my own language - at last.

6 Likes

@jane-holland Hi Jane, Dw iā€™n byw yn Caerdydd hefyd. Ond dw iā€™n dod o Brynmawr. Mae gan fy neiaint newydd ddechrau ysgol Gymraeg. Be nice to speak sometimešŸ˜Š

1 Like

I want to be a Welsh speaker because . . . I want to understand the Welsh spirit and culture, which has fascinated me since I was a child in Wisconsin, growing up near the Wyoming Valley of the Wisconsin River and the town of Mineral Point, where the Welsh pioneers settled in the 19th century.

As Iā€™ve listened to Aran, I realize that Iā€™m now part of a movement to help an ancient and beautiful language survive and gain currencyā€“and Iā€™m all in on that, too.

One thing I hope will happen when Iā€™m a Welsh speaker is that Iā€™ll be able to visit Wales and appreciate the places I go more deeply than a non-Welsh-speaking tourist.

5 Likes

What beautiful sentiments - croeso i Gymru, @Anne-D!

1 Like

Diolch yn fawr, @BronwenLewis.

Hi Christine,
diolch am y neges. Hoffen I siarad weithiau hefyd. Mae eisiau I fi ymarfer mwy!
I am still navigating my way around the forum and Slack and have a lot to learn about how it all works.
Hope to speak soon
Hwyl
Jane

I really like the way the Welsh language sounds and I think it would be interesting to be able to tell people that I speak Welsh! And it is fun to learn!

5 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because I want to move back to Wales and participate in a Welsh community. Diolch.

5 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because I spend a lot of time there and I think it is a beautiful language. I speak French, Italian and Spanish and ,at 71, thought it was time to challenge myself.

4 Likes

I live in Wales and feelI should be able to speak the language.

3 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because I want to know the language my grandparents spoke, and the first language my Mum spoke, and because I know it will make my Mum and my aunts very happy if someone from the next generation learns Welsh again.
What I hope will happen when I can speak Welsh is that my Mum and I will be able to say funny, slightly rude things about people in England (where we live) without them understanding, just like my grandparents used to joke about people and make my Mum crack up, and none of us could understand. But actually I love the language. My Grandma taught me the alphabet and how to say Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantisiliogogogoch when I was a boy, and it feels so silly not to have run with it. And also - my grandparents werenā€™t allowed to use their language at school. The fact that they were completely bilingual, an amazing skill, wasnā€™t valued at all, and they both left school at 14 undervalued. Itā€™s about time I honoured them by learning their language properly.

8 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because I find the language is beautiful and poetic. Unfortunately I donā€™t do it justice at the moment :joy:. I also want to connect with the Welsh culture more.

4 Likes

ā€¦I shall be living in Wales, and it will be the first language that I have properly learnt, which for me will be a considerable acheivement,

5 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker to help myself, and my children feel greater belonging in our home.

4 Likes

ā€¦because I want to learn alongside my 1 year old. We both live in England now and I would love for us to experience this wonderful language together.

5 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because I think Welsh is such a beautiful and mysterious language. I hope to go and live in Wales in a year or so and look forward to being able to go to Clwb y Bont in Pontypridd and Welsh theatre and being able to understand some of it!

5 Likes

Jec
5 Minuter

Sep 21

I want to be a Welsh speaker because itā€™s a beautiful language from a beautiful place, itā€™s honouring my ancestors and I want to live in Wales one day.

What it will change is that as a discipline/accomplishment it will prove to me that I can still really exercise my mind and become expert at something new.
[/quote]

Revisiting as part of Challenge 16. One thing I also hope will happen is that I visit Wales more when weā€™re able (I live in England) and have conversations with strangers that they can actually understand.
I also really need to use this forum more and get to know people here; I should have more free time over the coming weeks so am looking forward to that.

4 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because I want to be able to hold conversations with my welsh friends and colleagues. I hope when I am a welsh speaker it will allow me to access the welsh language to a higher level and showcase the great language that is Welsh!

3 Likes

I want to be a welsh speaker because I was born in wales and have always been proud to be welsh. I want to be able to converse with other welsh speakers

4 Likes

I want to be part of ensuring that the Welsh language stays alive and I hope it will open the door to more creative opportunities.

5 Likes