'I want to be a Welsh speaker because...'

It’s part of me, in my blood.
I’d like my Auntie Margaret in Tynant to be proud of me…

4 Likes

I have no Welsh ancestry, and live in the US and have never visited Wales. However, I wanted to try learning a Celtic language, and read that Welsh has the highest number of speakers who use the language on a daily basis, which sounded cool. I discovered SSiW and wanted to try the method. But then…the music (especially large male choirs!), the poetry, the landscape, the connection to an ancient past, the sense of welcome from speakers and learners of the language—all reasons to continue learning more and more.

7 Likes

because I live in Wales, near Lampeter, where Welsh is widely spoken … it just seems rude not to try. And i love languages. Welsh is fascinating and so different to the languages i grew up with…English, French, Italian, though there are recognisable Latin words.

4 Likes

I want to learn Welsh because I’m hoping to move to Anglesey, my favorite place in the world, and I want to learn about Welsh culture in the language of the country. I hope to be able to go into shops and speak Welsh with Welsh speakers when I’m on holiday in Wales.

Dw i isio dysgu Cymraeg achos dw i’n gobeithio symud i Ynys Môn, fy hoff le yn y byd, ac dw i isio dysgu am ddiwylliant Cymru yn iaith y wlad. Gobeithio, mi fydda i’n medru mynd i mewn i siopau a siarad Cymraeg efo siaradwyr Cymraeg pan mi fyddaa ar fy wyliau yng Nghymru.

5 Likes

The best kind of holiday maker to Wales! Da iawn ti!

2 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because I think it will be a huge help for mastering Middle Welsh, and because it is by far the most beautiful language I’ve encountered.

7 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because I’m passionate about our Welsh culture and preserving our language and traditions.

6 Likes

I have two granddaughters ages 5 and 8 who are Welsh speaking I am encouraged by them. I now live with them since lockdown. One day I hope to speak and write all this in Welsh confidently :hugs:. Diolch yn fawr SSiW.

6 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because the next time I go to the National Eisteddfod I want to feel part of it, and not a visitor to it.

6 Likes

I will be able to connect with friends and neighbours better, it’s respectful to living in a Welsh speaking village and I’ve just found out 8% of my DNA is Welsh :grinning:

6 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because it will allow me to have better conversations with my Welsh brother-in-law, niece and nephew!

4 Likes

I have lived in Wales for the past 20 years and feel it is about time I learnt the language. The area I live in is mainly English speaking, but we frequently go further into North Wales and I hear Welsh spoken. It would be lovely to understand and be able to join in the conversations.

4 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because I moved to North Wales six months ago and feel like it is essential to integrating properly in the community. Plus it will be a nice challenge to see if I can learn a second language.

5 Likes

So I can speak Welsh to my grand children.

6 Likes

I have recently moved to Aberystwyth where Welsh is spoken widely and I feel it is a mark of respect to learn the local language and help it survive (and it’s fascinatng!)

7 Likes

I moved to a village near Lampeter at the end of April. My great grandfather was Welsh and owned a shop in Blaenau Ffestiniog and my nan grew up there and was a Welsh speaker. I want to return to the Welsh roots in my family and for me an important part of that is to be able to understand and speak some Welsh. So here I am! I wish my nan was still alive to speak Welsh with. She would have loved it :slight_smile:

6 Likes

I’m Welsh and have come home to live near Aberhonddu.
I want to be able to have a conversation in Welsh with my cousins.

6 Likes

I have retired to Wales and don’t want to miss out on all the local gossip!

5 Likes

I want to be a welsh speaker because i want to understand my grand childrens school plays one day !

5 Likes

Started the 6/6. Officially I’m on week two but I have rushed ahead and completed challenges 1-5. But my week two email asks me to answer this important question. So here goes. I want to be a Welsh speaker because…

I love the sound of the language – it feels good to speak

I have family connections with Wales – my father and my aunt - and Cornwall through my mum. Cornwall isn’t Wales, but the languages have the same roots

I am interested in the history and culture of the Celtic regions of these islands

I am enjoying the challenge of learning an interesting new language and hope it may be good for my brain!

4 Likes