'I want to be a Welsh speaker because...'

because my late parents were Welsh speakers, I live in Aberhonddu and I love the sound of the language.

5 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because I love learning languages and Welsh is my favourite!

5 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because I have Welsh ancestry. Also, when I visited Wales, I was impressed to hear Welsh being spoken. But it was hearing Only Boys Allowed, singing Calon Lan, on Brittanā€™s Got Talent, that pushed me over the edge to learn.

I hope to be able to use it if and when I get to visit Wales again. In the mean time, I would like to find someone on line to practice with. Either by skype, zoom or Facebook messenger.

4 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because, when somebody asks me, ā€œCan you speak Welsh?ā€, I can reply ā€œYesā€.

6 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because it was taught poorly at my school and I now have time to do something about it. https://ssi-cyhoeddus.s3.amazonaws.com/uploads/recording/1493/6min_10_onesentence.mp3

4 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because me and my son moved to South Wales two years ago after I fell in love with the country on many holidays, and my son will need to learn Welsh for GCSE, so I want to support him and also I feel it is a respect thing to move to Wales and try and learn Welsh! :blush:

5 Likes

I write novels set in medieval Wales, and I want a better understanding of my characters.

AND, I want to be able to go into a pub in north Wales and understand and reply to what people are saying :slight_smile:

7 Likes

I want to be able to speak to my Godsons in Welsh as they are going to Welsh medium schools.

5 Likes

It is something that I have always wanted to do

5 Likes

Are you in the free Welsh Speaking Practice Slack group, @davidhamilton? There are people there happy to set up online chats. Send an email to admin@saysomethingin.com and request an invitation if youā€™re not a member and youā€™d like to join :slight_smile:

I tried Slack through a link in one of the lessons. It was time consuming and not successful. I am not hopeful that it may be an option for me. And I have Skype and zoom and Facebook messenger that all work very nicely and easily. But, thank you for the email link. I will try an invitation. But not promising to spend a lot of time setting it up.

1 Like

Once youā€™re into the SSiW 6/6 Support Slack, you can ignore everything except the #group-video-sessions channel, if you like. Thatā€™s where the Zoom session links are posted, so if youā€™re familiar with Zoom, that will work a treat for you. The timetable for the Zoom sessions is in the #1-start-here channel.

my wife and children speak welsh , her family speak welsh. I want to talk to them in Welsh. I dont want them to speak English for my sake.

4 Likes

@sarahwoodbury - are any of your books for sale anywhere? Love the topic!

2 Likes

Oh, thank you for asking! Yes, they are available worldwide at all retailers. You can find all the links on my website: https://www.sarahwoodbury.com/
Or hereā€™s my web page at Amazon: https://amzn.to/3zQp5CS
Best to you!
Sarah

5 Likes

I was born in wales and although my father was a welsh speaker, my mother was not and so we children grew up speaking English. My Nain spoke welsh to me when i visited her but she died when i was only eight. I went to a welsh grammar school and learned some welsh there but as a foreign language. I can remember being rather jealous of the boys and girls from a welsh background who could speak it fluently but they were taught in separate classes. I went to university at Bangor and many of my friends there spoke welsh as their first language and so i became quite competent after four years. Unfortunately, I spent the whole of my working life in England and so never really had much chance to speak the limited amount that i remember. This course has been very interesting so far and dwi mwynhau dysgu cymraeg eto.

7 Likes

I moved to North Wales (Rhyl) two years ago and hopefully now when I travel to different areas in Wales I will be able to have a little chat in Welsh.

6 Likes

My fatherā€™s first language was Welsh. He died when I was three. Iā€™m 69 now and I want to learn Welsh and be a part of a Welsh community. Iā€™ve got to Level One, lesson 20. Iā€™m amazed how my memory is improving.
Iā€™m not a confident person but hope to join in a walk with Welsh speakers in nearby Shropshire soon. X

6 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because I want to understand the culture and landscape of these islands through the lens of this ancient language and I very much want the Welsh language to continue in the future. Also I had a Welsh Primary School teacher from Anglesey when I was 9 to 11 and I was totally fascinated that her first language was Welsh. And she got me totally obsessed with Welsh stories and legends. One thing I hope will happen is that speaking Welsh will open up a new way of understanding the world.

6 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because I want to feel complete, knowing I speak the language of my ancestors, and I want to be able to connect with all aspects of Welsh culture.

4 Likes