SSi Forum

'I want to be a Welsh speaker because...'

I want to be a Welsh speaker because I love Wales, it is the language of my ancestors I would imagine (Williams) , my wife is Welsh, our eldest son is called Myrddin, and with Brexit I shall now speak another language than English in another country right next door to where I live (Bristol). I have always wanted to learn a Celtic language. When I can speak Welsh I shall feel like a real Welshman.

I want to learn Cymraeg because I am Welsh and I want to connect more with the culture, history, literature and people of my country.

I was born in NW England but, from a child, always felt ‘at home’ in Wales. I believe this feeling comes from the fact that my Dad was Welsh, his parents marrying in Merthyr. I now live in Pembrokeshire and have done so for 20 years so to me it makes sense to try to speak Cymraeg. Moreover, it’s a beautiful language which I want to continue to be spoken and grow in use. Anyway, my Dad would be very proud to learn that I am (at least) trying to master the language.

I visit Wales often as I love the country, so it would be nice to speak the native language.

I had that Eisteddfod experience too!

I want to be a Welsh speaker because…
my boyfriend is Welsh and it makes me really happy to speak to him in his language - and yes, I agree, feels like being part of a secret society especially if you speak it abroad! :slight_smile:

I want to be a Welsh speaker because my husband is fluent and my children will be going to Welsh school. Also because I have a Welsh name I am asked constantly if I am a Welsh speaker and I want to be able to say yes!

because Wales is heaven on earth, I am coing to live in a Wales and I am part Welsh and because the welsh people are gorgeous !

I am a very proud Welshman but do not speak Welsh which at times makes me feel very embarrassed!!
I would like to have the confidence to be able to converse with any Welsh speaker.

I wanted to talk to my friends in Wales in Welsh but they say they don’t remember the Welsh they learned at school. Now I find I’m just enjoying learning the language and may want to learn more about Welsh history later on.
If I ever get the chance I’d like to live near Llanelli/Kidwelly. Jill

I love Wales, it’s a beautiful language, I want to enjoy the music better and my late father spoke Welsh so it’s part of my family history.

I want to be a Welsh speaker so that I can speak Welsh to my many Welsh speaking friends. They have encouraged me to become a Welsh speaker for so long and they deserve this from me.

it is something I wish I could have learned as a child in school.

I think it is important to support use of the welsh language, especially as I now live in Wales.
I hope that local people will be pleased that I am trying.

It will open up a new world for me when I move to my new life in Wales and I want to try and surprise someone who mistakes me for a native Welsh speaker…if I ever get that good!

@thane I’ve been there a couple of times. It’s wonderful! It usually only lasts a couple of minutes. But more often it’s been more like, Where do you come from? You sound Welsh, but you’re not from around here.:slightly_smiling_face: