'I want to be a Welsh speaker because...'

I feel exactly the same way. Have a good day !

3 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because itā€™s something Iā€™ve always wanted to do. I am Welsh, live in Wales and love the language. Learning Welsh makes me happy.
Iā€™m looking forward to being able to speak to family, friends and colleagues in Welsh.

7 Likes

I can relate to this. My Mam was brought up Welsh speaking but sent me to an English speaking comprehensive school, which I suppose I wasnā€™t bothered bout at the time, but as the years have gone by, I regret not being able to speak my native language Iā€™ve tried to learn in dribs and drabs over the last few years but never lasted long. Iā€™m in week 8. I watch Pobol Y Cwm (with the subtitles) but cn pick up quite a few words now, though sometimes they speak too quickly for me to process it. Iā€™ve also downloaded some Welsh music, and again, I can pick up the odd word. This week itā€™s time for me to get stuck into Radio Cymru.

8 Likes

My son and his family have moved to Wales where their boys have been immersed in Welsh at school. I wanted to be able to share some of this with them, though I am a long way from trying it out with on them yet

8 Likes

Lovely encouraging post, thank you. :hugs:

1 Like

Rachel,
Donā€™t wait to speak to your grandchildren in Welsh. If you wait until you think youā€™re fluent enough, you may be speaking to your great grandchildren! Start as soon as you see them next, but with small phrases that you feel comfortable with (and that you might have practised a lot in advance). Phrases that encourage them to respond (yn y Gymraeg, wrth cwrs) are good, like asking them if they want an ice cream, sweets, present, Ferrari etcā€¦
Their positive responses will spur you on to speak more with them and give you confidence to speak to others.
Well done for starting the journey.

6 Likes

Dear Rachel and everyone fearful of taking those first few steps, donā€™t put off starting a welsh conversation with ANYONE. Honestly, itā€™s so much better to just let go of inhibition than to ā€˜nurtureā€™ it. If nurtured, it will take a hold, like creeping ivy and youā€™ll be buried under its weight. Like the wall set free from said ivy, BASK in the glory of speaking welsh, delight in its warmth and take pride in so doing. xx

8 Likes

I assume you mean the Italian Welsh coffee :grin:

1 Like

I want to speak Welsh because I want the language to continue and I would like to write poetry in Welsh. Which I think is:
Dw i isio siarad Cymraeg achos, dw i isio yr iathe parhau a liciwn ysgrifennu barddoniaeth yn y Cymraeg.
Please correct me if Iā€™m wrong. Iā€™m also going to stay in Wales with friends at the end of June!!
(Shifted by moderator to existing thread)

7 Likes

Very close! ā€œlanguageā€ is spelled iaith and I think you need an i after liciwn - so ā€¦ liciwn i ysgrifennu ā€¦
(edit to add:) Oh, and the C at the beginning of Cymraeg softenes to G in that phrase.

3 Likes

Thank-you :grinning:

3 Likes

I wish Iā€™d taken an effort when my Grandad tried to teach me years ago.

5 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because I want to speak the language of my country and I want to pass that language onto my (future) children.

The thing I hope will happen when I am a Welsh speaker is feeling a sense of accomplishment and achievement.

5 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because I married into a Welsh-speaking family over 40 years ago (although my husband ā€˜lostā€™ his Welsh at school) and we finally moved from Oxfordshire to very Welsh-speaking, North Pembrokeshire 5 years ago.

I hope that eventually my friends and neighbours will no longer automatically switch to English for me, or explain to others on my behalf that donā€™t I donā€™t understand Welsh. No-one has minded my lack of Welsh in the slightest since I have lived here and there are huge variations in the fluency of the locals but the few who know I am learning are already excited for me!

9 Likes

Iā€™d like to be a Welsh speaker so I can converse in Welsh with my kids and interact with anyone who speaks Welsh, as itā€™s important to learn the language of the country in which you reside. Plus out of all the languages Iā€™ve learnt, this is one of the most enjoyable and itā€™s positively challenging.

8 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because I am moving back to Wales after thirty years. I am so excited and canā€™t wait to find opportunities to use the language again.

8 Likes

Welcome home, @alison-blasdale! Let us know where youā€™re coming to, so we can put out the bunting!

5 Likes

Donā€™t worry, better late than never, Maggie! Good luckā€¦

2 Likes

You said what I hadnā€™t really realised! Diolch yn dda iawn!

2 Likes

This is my favourite and most similar to my reasons. I love being welsh I sound English but once I speak welsh there will be no mistaking me. :slight_smile:

6 Likes