'I want to be a Welsh speaker because...'

I’m a little late doing this as I fell behind a little on the course! Anyway, I want to be a Welsh speaker because I am Welsh (50% at least), born and raised in Wales, live in Wales now and I love the Welsh language.

4 Likes

I hope in the future my wife and children will learn too so I can speak with them in Welsh. In the mean time, I’ll have to make do with my brother!

3 Likes

I want to be a welsh speaker because I feel I missed out when at primary school. The class I joined was considered too old to be learning welsh with 11+ looming.

3 Likes

I am totally with you! I always felt like an imposter being fiercely patriotic and coming from a Welsh speaking family, but not speaking Welsh myself. Also my grandparents first language was Welsh. My gran had Alzheimer’s and reverted to Welsh, before she lost her speech and I wish I had found this course before! But we are here now and doing it :grinning:

3 Likes

Ditto :blush: into my wish I had found this way of learning sooner, I’m sure our respective grandparents would be proud of us both

1 Like

I want to be a Welsh speaker because I fell in love with the country, the culture and the language when I visited Wales 22 years ago - it’s that simple. And because J.R.R. Tolkien said that Welsh is the language of heaven. :blush:
I hope that when I return one day I’ll have the courage to strike a real conversation with a native speaker. Until then, I’ll try to learn enough Welsh to start reading books and listening to audio books.

2 Likes

Croeso (Welcome)…and depending on where you are there might be Welsh Speakers nearby …and there is the Welsh Speaking Practice option if not - where you can hook up with other learners and speakers only.

Rich :slight_smile:

I want to play a full part in my children’s lives

2 Likes

I am learning welsh ‘properly’ because the incidental welsh we use in our english medium primary school just wasn’t enough for me any more. I’m excited and privileged to be helping the next generation to become bi-lingual welsh people.

4 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because I am Welsh, live in Wales, but don’t (yet) speak it. I’d love to be able to speak Welsh with my Welsh-speaking friends.

3 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because my 5 year old is in Welsh speaking school and I want to help him as much as I can with his education (and preferably speak to him in Welsh without him finding it funny that Mummy struggles with it so much!)

4 Likes

Same here. I was born and brought up on the South Coast of England. My father was English and my mother Welsh. Don’t know why but I always felt very patriotic for Wales and even as a youngster would proudly announce that I was half Welsh. I even sang the Welsh national anthem at primary school on St David’s Day. Grew up supporting Welsh rugby and loved hearing my mother and grandmother talking Welsh. Just wish my mother had taught me. Now living in Wales and so happy to have discovered SSiW so I can realise my dream of speaking the language.

6 Likes

So many reasons. But the main one is that I have a ten-month-old son now, who was born in Wales, and I want to help him to grow up bilingual so that he can feel more connected to this beautiful country and its culture. I would love to continue to learn alongside him so that I can keep up, and the thing that I hope will happen as a result of me learning is that we can chat away in Welsh when he’s older.

4 Likes

I have similar reasons Robert - I moved to Wales two years ago, and I want to be able to confidently speak the language of the country I live in, to respect the culture, the language, and the people.

3 Likes

Me too, Paul, I moved to North Wales from England two years ago and I want to be able to confidently speak the language of my adopted country.

Me too Carole - I moved to North Wales from Cheshire two years ago. I live in Wales and therefore I really want to speak the language of my adopted country.

I love being Welsh…and I want to have a proper conversation with Heulwen! :smile:

2 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because I want to show the children in my future classroom (I am a trainee primary school teacher) that the Welsh language is not dying. I am so proud to be Welsh and will be even more proud if I can say that I can also speak our beautiful language!

5 Likes

When visiting a county I would always learn the basics of the language…so now living here, it would be rude not to!

3 Likes

Because I live in north wales and people speak welsh here

I hope to be able to understand what is going on at my children’s school!

2 Likes