'I want to be a Welsh speaker because...'

Gruss Gott David.
Sind Sie Deutsch oder Englisch? Wo wohnen Sie in Deutschland?

Anyway, avoid the fear - don’t let the journey end.

1. Don’t stop learning Welsh.
  2. If you get to the end of level 2, you will be a Welsh speaker, even if you can’t/don’t use it much.
  3. Come and visit Wales. I went to Frankfurt last month after 27 years of wishing to go. I stopped wishing and did it!
    Chuss (sorry no umlauts)
    Chris
3 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because I want to enrich my life with Welsh language, literature and culture and get the many benefits of learning another language.

The one thing I hope will happen when I am a Welsh speaker is that I will be able to watch (and understand) “Pobol y cym”.

4 Likes

Hi @sl1

I believe @Deborah-SSi - one of the SSIW staff members - was brought up in Mew Zealand and also (I think) learned Maori - although I’m not sure how many different types there are… so there you go - you may have at least three languages in common soon… :smile:

Rich :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes, I grew up in Aotearoa in a rural area with a large Maori population so we naturally used some Maori words in our English as children. I then learnt a little in college after school, and understood some of the common phrases, but that was a long time ago and I haven’t used it since. One of our recent bwtcampers lives in Aotearoa though and is also learning Te Reo Maori.

2 Likes

I am a raving welsh nationalist who wants to live in an independent, bilingual Wales :smile:

5 Likes

I want to be a welsh speaker because it’ll enable me to help & converse with my Welsh Medium Educated Children. My wife is also a Welsh speaker, so I’m the only one in our family who can’t speak it!!

4 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because I want to help preserve the language of my ancestors. I also want to communicate with Welsh relatives in their first language!

6 Likes

that way I can share the passion of my wife - Welsh language, culture and literature.

I went to Wales and could hold an ordinary conversation with my wife’s Welsh-speaking friends.

3 Likes

… I want to understand what I am singing and I want to want to watch Pobol y Cwm without subtitles (perhaps I need SSIWenglish for that?)

4 Likes

I’m copying this link to another thread here in case it applies to anyone who might be interested :slight_smile: Has anyone learnt Welsh due to their interest in Welsh music?

2 Likes

I spent every holiday during my childhood on Anglesey and my Grandfather was from South Wales. My family still visit the island as often as possible and, for me, there is something indefinable (and inexplicable to me) about the pull I feel towards Wales, its language, and culture.

I wonder if it’s something to do with an awareness of how oppressed the language appears to have been and a developing sense of admiration for those who fought so hard to maintain its integrity and visibility.

Beyond that, I came across SSiW completely by chance … I gave Week 1 a go whilst we were on holiday in Anglesey, just for fun, and now I seem to have been bitten by the language learning bug!

Thanks so much to everyone involved in such a wonderful initiative.

3 Likes

I wanted to learn Welsh because I now live and work in Wales. Hopefully by the end of this course I will be able to converse in Welsh throughout my daily life both socially and at work.

2 Likes

That’s great to read! My kids go to Welsh medium ysgol and it’s teachers like you (soon!) that can excite them about the Welsh language - da iawn ti a pob lwc!

I want to fully understand my children speaking Welsh, to be part of my local welsh speaking community and develop an even greater sense of belonging in Wales…the change…not being afraid to use my welsh out and about

3 Likes

I live in Wales, and want to speak to my freinds and neighbours in their own language.

5 Likes

I want to be able to speak with my patients in their own language. I am an anaesthetist and I find that many of my first language Welsh patients ‘wake up’ in Welsh even if they converse perfectly in English before they go to sleep. It is also very noticeable to me how any confused or demented patients respond so much better if I am able to speak even a few words in their first language.

11 Likes

I completely agree with that sentiment. Good luck!

I want to be a welsh because I live in a Welsh speaking village - Llangadog and I don’t want to be a newcomer now I’ve lived here for 20+ years!

3 Likes

I want to learn Welsh to be able to speak my own language! As a teacher (hopefully I’ll get more work soon) I want to be able to have confidence in speaking to help put things right. It was appalling that our language was stolen from us and that teachers (nasty ones) helped by doling out corporal punishment to little children who were only doing what came naturally…speaking their own language. I want to swap the Welsh NOT with a Welsh CAN!

I met up with other SSIW students at Blaenau Ffestiniog on Saturday. It was a lovely day for my first meet up, but I found it difficult to pick up on most of what was said of the History talks. I did have a go at conversational Welsh. I’m sure I’ll get better in time. Also I was interviewed for the Brocast Ffestiniog (I jumped between Welsh n English to survive!). There will be another gathering in St Fagans Museum of Welsh Life, Cardiff in December. Hopefully I will have developed my confidence by then.

5 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because…
We have visited Wales many times and I have always felt as though I was missing something by not being able to understand the language, having recently discovered that my Great Great Grandmother was born in Cilcennin I feel even more of a pull to learn her native tongue.
As for the change it will have, well…we are planning to relocate to N Wales when my husband retires in a couple of years and I hope it will help me to fully integrate into the community.

5 Likes