'I want to be a Welsh speaker because...'

Dw i’n cytuno
Tom

2 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because… Im welsh and want me and my wife(who is also learning) to be a Welsh speaking couple, to share many conversations with each other and other Welsh speakers we meet along the way. It will also give us the ability to pass on the language to our future children and become a Welsh family.

6 Likes

Several reasons:

*I’ve lived in Wales on and off all my life and always wondered what some of the house and place names mean; now I’m beginning to understand some and that’s fun
*I always try to learn a few words when I visit other countries yet I’ve never bothered to this for Wales; how rude of me!
*at this time in my life I have a little more time and learning a new language helps keep my little grey cells functioning

7 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because I live in Conwy, North Wales, my partner is a Welsh speaker and so are many members of his family. I think that it is important if you live in a country, you learn their language and culture.

6 Likes

Although this isn’t really my reason for learning Welsh but -

As a grandparent it would be really handy to say something to my wife in front of my grandchildren like “Look there’s an ice cream van. Let’s go a different way back so they don’t have sweets before tea”, using a language they don’t understand.This rather like the teachers did in my school although it didn’t always work as there were native speakers from the LLynfi valley.

5 Likes

Hi, I have very similar reasons, I have children in Welsh medium - plus I am a teacher so have had to learn Welsh in order to teach Welsh since we moved from England 3 years ago (my husband is Welsh). Just an idea that worked for me for the sentences - I’ve pasted them on the outside of my shower cubicle so I can see them on the inside - since doing this I’ve been much better at doing them daily than before. I love long showers so there’s plenty of time to get through them all! It sounds like you’re braver than me - still haven’t used much welsh with my children’s teachers… Pob lwc!

4 Likes

Because I love languages. I’m not from Wales but moved here and want to respect and be a part of the culture. My husband is from Wales and has always thought that he couldn’t learn Welsh. However because I’m learning he’s now trying and we’re practicing together. My hope is that this continues!

9 Likes

I love the voice of Elan Catrin Parry(17). Her first language is Welsh and she sings mainly in Cymraeg. Here she is with a favourite song of hers and mine. :smile: Going to music events in Wales would be SO rewarding- if I could follow the lyrics!

6 Likes

I am Welsh, live in Wales and have always wanted to be a Welsh speaker. I want to be able to speak Welsh on an every day basis whether that’s at work or in my free time and live the bilingual life!

6 Likes

I want to understand place names

5 Likes

In the Last six months, we have made many Welsh-speaking friends, and although it is still difficult to talk to them in Welsh, they really appreciate my efforts to develop my understanding. And we feel much more integrated in Welsh society as a result of developing my language skills. I still find it very hard to cope with the double-speed listening, but am persevering!

9 Likes

I am Welsh and the fact that the language exists makes me feel I should speak it. A second language is a beautiful thing. Won’t be easy but want to try

8 Likes

Blwyddyn Newydd dda. My first post…

I want to be a Welsh speaker because I want to reconnect with my heritage and pass Welsh on to my children. It’s my new year’s resolution to keep progressing!

10 Likes

I moved to South Wales about 9 years ago and always regretted not making the time to learn this great language, last year I moved north to live near Blaenau Ffestiniog, in this area it really is their first language and rightly so they are very proud of it, some days I don’t hear English unless its someone speaking to me (because I don’t speak welsh) so….

I want to be a Welsh speaker so that I can feel like and be a real part of the wonderful community here.

10 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because I moved to Carmarthenshire almost three years ago and live listening in bars, cafes and towns - I want to join in!

Learning to speak Welsh will help me integrate more.

8 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because my new partner and his family speak Welsh and I want to be able to join in their conversations

8 Likes

I am Welsh and it’s part of my heritage. I was born and grew up in Wales (Gogledd Cymru) and went to Welsh Chapel. I now live in England but am very proud of my Welsh roots but also feel slightly embarrassed that I can’t speak my own language fluently. I can speak ‘pigeon’ Welsh, but really want to become fluent.

9 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because I love everything Welsh (especially North) and when I was growing up in SA my father wouldn’t share anything Welsh with me or allow me to ask anything so I hope he might feel some pride on the other side!

8 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because we are hoping to move to Wales this year and I want to communicate with the local people in their language rather than English

12 Likes

How lovely! Thank you for sharing this.

2 Likes