'I want to be a Welsh speaker because...'

I want to be a Welsh speaker because I want to play my small part in keeping the language alive - diversity is a wonderful thing! And I want to do it out of respect to my Welsh friends and colleagues.

9 Likes

I am Welsh

5 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because it will will help connect me to me Welsh ancestors.

One thing I hope will happen after I become a Welsh speaker is that I will go to Wales and have a conversation with a native speaker.

8 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because Wales has been my adopted home for several years now and I love living in Wales and it has been my dream for a while now to have a conversation with my Welsh family & friends in Welsh.

8 Likes

I know what you mean! Iā€™ve been in Wales for a long time now, and so many of my closest friends are first language Welsh speakers, I feel itā€™s important to be able to engage with them in their preferred language.

6 Likes

It is absurd that I cannot fluently speak the language of my late father, a member of the Gorsedd and something of a name in Welsh literary circles. This is what happens if youā€™re a Londoner albeit one made entirely of Welsh stuff. Although I can speak a certain amount of Welsh my vocabulary is inadequate and needs a big improvement. When this happens Iā€™ll feel a bit more fulfilled.

7 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because it is my own language, yet I can only use this foreign one (English) at the moment. I look forward to reclaiming a major part of my heritage and culture.

8 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because it will give me confidence and I want to be part of the million Welsh speakers project, and I will learn useful skills like how to master SoundCloud along the way,

7 Likes

Why: I want to be able to speak the language of my home country.
What: To be able to have conversations with my grandad in Welsh.

7 Likes

after more than 40years of living away I am beginning to realise that Iā€™m probably not going back on a permanent basis, so learning the language, after many false starts, is my way of preserving my identity as Welsh.

7 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because my Dad was Welsh and, although I was born and brought up in England, I feel more Welsh than English - I also want to surprise my Welsh cousins when I visit.

7 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because my mumā€™s family are from South Wales and were Welsh speakers

5 Likes

if I moved to Spain, I would learn Spanish. I moved to Wales, so I want to learn Welsh.

5 Likes

I have had a fascination with the Welsh language since I was a student in Cardiff living with Welsh speakers - I have now moved to North Wales, so a wonderful opportunity to make speaking Welsh a realityā€¦

6 Likes

I have always believed that if you live in a country, you should make the effort to speak the language.

6 Likes

This is one of my reasons too!

2 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because Iā€™ve always wanted to learn a second language and Welsh is beautiful.

5 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because I think it will change my life :blush:

6 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker as growing up in Liverpool, we spent our summers in North Wales & I loved listening to the language. I then lived & worked in South Wales for a few years before moving back to Liverpool. I now have 3 children & I am loving sharing my new knowledge of the beautiful language with them.

6 Likes

Iā€™m Welsh, but have a terrible record of leaning languagesā€¦and never had a single lesson of Welsh in school (in 1970s!). Now Iā€™m 56 and really want to try and attain at least a basic conversational capability in Welsh.

Diolch
Mark

6 Likes