'I want to be a Welsh speaker because...'

Hi Sarah, I am the same, leaving Wales at 18, and loving to sing! Although I still have my accent. Where do you live now?

2 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because my farther was born here in South Wales and Welsh was his first language until he was 12. Unfortunately he moved away and lost the gift and cant help much in my learning butā€¦. after completing SSIW #day5, I called him up and said my first sentence in Welsh to him this morning.

Quite emotionalā€¦ā€¦I have to continue.

6 Likes

Hi Emma, I live in Surrey at the moment. How about you?

1 Like

Iā€™m in Sheffield now, born in Merthyr. Let me know if you want a chat in Welsh!

1 Like

Because my son is in welsh school and I want to be able to talk to him and help him with his native language and be proud to be welsh like me.

4 Likes

Shw mae Sarah. I am on challenge 6 and enjoying learning. I love singing in Welsh as do my grown up children (all born in England). Amongst some beautiful songs, one of my favourites is ā€œYdy Yma O Hydā€ by Dafydd Iwan. The translation is meaningful and the chorus is really easy to learn - compulsory if, like my family, you are Scarlets supporters.:rugby_football:

2 Likes

Sarah thats my sloppy Welsh slipping out - the song is called Yma O Hyd (and its ā€œry ni yma o hydā€ not ydy yma :slight_smile:

I was born in Newport. Great idea - Iā€™m up for trying to chat in Welsh sometime. Iā€™m only on challenge 3 at the moment though! :smile:

Shwmae Jonesz! And thanks! Iā€™ve just listened to Yma O Hyd - very rousing! Had tingles on the back of my neck listening to that.

I know some of Calon Lan, but thatā€™s about it. Would definitely like to learn more songs to sing in Welsh. ā€˜Ar Lan y Morā€™, for example, I think Iā€™ll try to learn.

1 Like

Canu wych chwarae teg.

1 Like

Hi @emma-ireland

@Jane who comes to the Yorkshire meeting in Leeds (in normal circumstances) lives in Sheffield - and I think Eileen (ditto) used to as well.

We have switched to doing the Yorkshire meeting online (noon on Saturdays) during the lock down for when you feel ready to listen or join in!

Rich :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ah thatā€™s brilliant, thanks for letting me know! Id love to come to the Yorkshire meet up on zoom, I donā€™t think Iā€™m ready yet, but Iā€™ll ask for details when Iā€™ve done a few more weeks :grinning:

2 Likes

Because my mother and father were stopped speaking Welsh as children and this is me fighting back. Griff jeff Jenkins

3 Likes

My partner is welsh. I love the language and would like to one day go to back wales and talk with her and her family without them having to speak english when Iā€™m in the room :wink:

3 Likes

I want to be a welsh speaker because it is my husbands first language and we are raising our son as a welsh speaker.
When I am able a welsh speaker I hope to be able to have a conversation with our welsh speaking friends about our children.

6 Likes

I know that living in a bilingual country is a blessing and I am not fully taking advantage of this wonderful part of being Welsh unless I can feel comfortable in both languages. I feel I am missing out on something very special.

6 Likes

I want to connect and identify with my cultural roots and heritage

5 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because I want to be able to have conversations with Welsh speakers (including my children)

This should hopefully mean that when things get back to ā€œnormalā€, Iā€™ll be able to have short bursts of conversations in the pub

4 Likes

I now have more friends who speak Welsh and I would liketo be able to chat to them in Welsh, as well as being able to use it in shops.

3 Likes

I already answered this question some time ago, but had to put things down because life took over.

But, one year down the line, Iā€™d like to answer again.

I want to be a Welsh Speaker because Iā€™m Welsh, my son speaks fluent Welsh, and I feel like Iā€™m missing out on a special part of his life. Itā€™s been something Iā€™ve wanted to learn for a very long time, and this time Iā€™m really determined to make it work. Iā€™m really enjoying it, and Iā€™m pleased to say, I now know 100% more Welsh than I did 4 weeks ago!

5 Likes