SSi Forum

'I want to be a Welsh speaker because...'

I’m a passionate Welshman I won’t to be able to speak my own language

I am a proud Welshman who has always been embarrassed and disappointed that I am unable to speak my native language. One of the important things that I will be able to do when I can finally speak welsh is to have a ‘one-to-one’ conversation with my grandson who goes to a welsh speaking school and is already fluent.

Learning Welsh is making me feel so proud of myself.

I can speak to my children in welsh and learn all their secrets!

… because I now live in Wales and want to communicate better with my Welsh speaking friends and family, and with people in my local community.

My wife and I both started learning from scratch with SSIW a few years back and she got on much better than me. We’ve been watching ‘Pobol Y Cwm’ ever since, and whilst she copes pretty well without subtitles, I need them, so to be able to watch and understand without would be a minor triumph. Whilst neither of us have any Welsh family connections, we come for holidays, at least once a year as we love the country, particularly Anglesey. I really look forward to actually being able to carry out normal conversations in Welsh in shops and pubs, without feeling a complete pillock!

I want to be a welsh speaker because my boyfriend is first language welsh. I know how much it would mean to him if I could talk to him and his family in Welsh, also it will be useful raising our future children who will speak both languages :slight_smile:

…I live in Wales! I should be speaking the language of my nation. I will be able to speak to everyone I meet…and understand them - at my daughter’s school, concerts, the Eisteddfod.

I want to be a Welsh speaker because my much adored aunt Gwen; who lived with us when I grew up; always felt a sense of regret that she was part of a generation who were discouraged from learning Welsh. I am doing this for her. I hope to be able to do her proud and visit her grave one day and say a few thoughts in Welsh for her at last.

When I was 11, the children’s choir I sang with was part of a Welsh concert with a number of other choirs and performers. We sang a verse of All Through the Night in Welsh, and it was around this time I found out my great great grandmother was Welsh. I decided then that one day I would learn the language, and finally, here I am.

I have just gone back over previous weeks and realised I had missed this step!

I want to speak Welsh as I love hearing my colleagues speak to each other in Welsh in the office. It is such a beautiful language and I would love to be able to join in! :slight_smile:

I want to be a welsh speaker so that when I visit family in Wales I can surprise them and speak welsh with them!

Because I moved to North Wales earlier this year & want to appreciate the language. Also some of my parishioners are Welsh speakers, and prior to lockdown we held a monthly bi-lingual service. I’d love to be able to surprise them by saying a few words in Welsh when we return :blush: in

…that sounds like it could fun :smile:

Rich :slight_smile:

I want to be a Welsh speaker because I want to talk to my Welsh friends in their own language. If I can become a Welsh speaker then I will feel truly Welsh

I want to be a Welsh speaker because it will help with playing jazz trumpet

Dw i’n moyn i siarad Cymraeg achos bydd helpu gyda canu trwmped jazz

I want to be a Welsh speaker because I work for the ambulance service and being based in Gwynedd, I quickly found the majority of people are first language Welsh - I’d love to be able to communicate with my colleagues and patients in their first language.

I’m really excited now, @nigel-doyle - you mean that when I’m fluent in Welsh, I’ll also be able to play the trumpet?

only if you have a Welsh first language jazz trumpet tutor and you understand II-V-I progressions and tri-tone substitutions!

Because I want to embrace my heritage and be able to chat to my friends in welsh, as well as customers when I’m at work :star2: