'I want to be a Welsh speaker because...'

Prynodd fy nhiwtor trwmped Cris o Pwll beint o gwrw i mi yn y Bryngwyn Newydd :sunglasses:

I want to learn Welsh because for many years I have visited an area where Welsh is the first language and it would mean a lot to me to be able to speak with friends there in Welsh.

3 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because I am proud of my nation. I am embarrassed that I cannot speak my native language, but do look forwards to the day I can converse on a fairly equal basis with those who can.

5 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because I have lived in Wales longer than I lived in England, I feel I should have learnt by now, my daughter is Welsh born and fluent in the language

6 Likes

Iā€™d like to speak to my wife and two sons in Welsh.

5 Likes

I have created this wordcloud picture of all the comments on this thread (as a diversion from my masterā€™s work). It is somehow quite mesmerizing to me after reading all comments in this threadā€¦

9 Likes

Having lived in Wales for 30 years I need to finally say Iā€™m a Welsh Speaker, not a Welsh Learner!

4 Likes

My boyfriend and his family are first language welsh - weā€™ve been together 8 years so itā€™s about time as itā€™s really important for him. I want to speak welsh to better fit in, and to be able to communicate properly with my 3 year old nephew!

5 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because deep down I have always wanted to speak Welsh -was discouraged as a child -and always thought it too difficult as an adult. Though I considered it I couldnā€™t afford the time/money for intensive classes.
I am proud to be Welsh and my hope is that Welsh speaking friends and others will accept that Iā€™m just as Welsh as they are, as I know they havenā€™t really because I didnā€™t have the language. And now I willšŸ˜Š

5 Likes

Next time I am in a room of Welsh speakers I want to understand what they are saying and even more importantly I want to join in the conversation!

5 Likes

I was born in Monmouth and I have always felt that Monmouth people have never had an national identity - there was always that general feeling that you are more English than Welsh. I have always felt closer to Welsh culture and learning the language will give me a true sense of national identity.

I work for the Welsh Ambulance Service and I am hoping my knowledge of the language will open up opportunities in working further afield in Wales.

7 Likes

I want to be a welsh speaker because i have lived in Wales for 20 years & recently discovered my great-grandfather was welsh.

4 Likes

Iā€™m half Welsh! I settled permanently in Hay-on-Wye, which is just inside the Welsh border, three years ago, and I want to be a Welsh speaker because my father was Welsh. It feels like the land of my fathers. And anyway, if you live in a country, it seems to me that you should learn to speak its language, whether youā€™re the same nationality or not. It seems like the right thing to do.

6 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because I am a Welsh linguist (I speak 4 languages) and itā€™s a regret for me that I never took the opportunity to continue Welsh to an advanced level after school.

3 Likes

Yay! Another Monmothian! Good to have you here Philip :smiley:

2 Likes

I live in North Wales and it will benefit my life and my community to keep the language alive

5 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because my family can speak Welsh and I want to join them; and because I live in Wales and want to see Wales thrive as a nation. One thing that I hope will happen when I am a Welsh speaker is that I will be confident in shops, pubs, cafes and restaurants in Welsh-speaking towns and villages. I will feel ā€œat homeā€.

6 Likes

Like Chris (above) we have Welsh-speaking grand-children, and daughter and son-in-law. Loving living in North Wales I hope to be able to use the language and feel more at home. As a Methodist minister I want to be able to encourage the English-speaking churches to be more open to using Welsh and welcoming Welsh-speakers.

4 Likes

Dw iā€™n caru Cymru a dw iā€™n caru yr iath cymraeg

2 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because I would be able to connect more with the Welsh culture. However, I have a long way to go yet.

5 Likes