SSi Forum

Irish Gaelic?

Just registering my vote for a course in Gaeilge.

I’ve just re-published (in honour of St Patrick’s Day…) an item by Joe Mitchell, who created the first Welsh-Gaelic dictionary. The article is trilingual, so you can read Irish, Welsh and English next to each other, which is pretty cool!

That is cwl. Ond-don’t tell my wife I said this; but St Pat was borrowed from Cyrmu…sshhhh

Sásta Lá Fhéile Pádraig / Diwrnod San Padrig Hapus Iawn

… ha Gool Padrig Lowen :shamrock:

I’ve mostly been sticking to Welsh, since I find it hard to stop peppering in Irish words if I go back to them. I revert to saying “lon” for lunch, instead of cinio, for example.

Duolingo is good for some grammar tips and vocabulary, but it’s so idiosyncratic in its overall approach. I’d like for them to give some more practice of the grammar points, too. I find that I do better with the memrise Cwrs Mynediad/Cwrs Sylfaen offerings, and I’m contemplating purchasing the official Cwrs Mynediad and Cwrs Sylfaen apps for the northern dialect to review the grammar and vocab I’ve been practicing on the free sites. I want to concentrate on northern speech patterns, if possible.

Has anyone heard about the new Michel Thomas Method Irish course? I noticed it’s going to brought out later this year by the company. As we don’t yet have a ‘SSI’ Irish course, this might be a good course for you would be Irish Gaelic learners:

https://www.michelthomas.com/learn-language-irish/

https://www.hodder.co.uk/books/detail.page?isbn=9781529374612

I wonder if they’ll expand the Michel Thomas Method to more celtic languages such as Scottish Gaelic? Still, I’d much prefer these languages to be available as ‘SSI’ courses!

Just out of interest, this article about the Irish language was shared recently on the Cornish Language Fellowship’s Facebook page: Learning My Father’s Language I don’t have any connections with Ireland myself, but I found it very thoughtful and moving and thought others here might like to read it as well.

“Thirty-five thousand native speakers, and none of my actual Irish family members is counted among them. Not one of them is even in the half million or so who are categorized, generously, as competent second-language speakers of Irish.”
This is the same for myself. I have more than my father and, sadly, now I know I have more than an Irish couple I have recently come into acquaintance with. They learned Gaelic at school…:disappointed_relieved:

If it’s any reassurance, I read the article and thought gosh, we Cornish speakers would just about kill (not literally, I hope) for 35,000 native speakers, 500,000 competent second-language speakers and even a tiny region similar to the Gaeltacht where you can go out and find people speaking the language to each other as they go about their lives. We’ve got perhaps 500 fluent speakers, almost no native speakers except for the handful whose parents deliberately brought them up speaking Cornish at home, and nowhere where the language is actually used in the community as people’s day-to-day means of communication. But then, that’s up from no fluent speakers at all 150 years ago or so, and the numbers are gradually growing, so that’s something. It at least gives one hope for Irish and other endangered languages too, that if enough people just keep putting in the effort and absolutely refusing to let their language die, it CAN grow stronger again…