SSi Forum

Italian newspaper defines Welsh language "ignorant"!?

Yesterday I accidentally saw an article published about a month ago on a newspaper called “Il Foglio”. The title promised to list 10 reasons why Italian rugby team would not win against Wales.
I see he goes on listing just 7, for the most part quite ordinary and stereotypical, with a few anecdotes -supposed to be funny, I don’t know if true or not.
But he probably ran out of ideas around 5 or 6, and decided to write:

Because no language is more ignorant - ignorance in rugby is quality, talent, appreciation - than Welsh, which ignores harmony and disregards vowels.For example, Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch: it’s the name of a village on Anglesey island, literally means (adds translation in italian, probably found on wikipedia)

I guess that note about ignorance being a quality in rubgy was meant to make the whole thing sound better and not offensive but…I mean!!! :rage:

Probably just jealous that the Italian empire consists of Sicily, whereas the Welsh managed to spread to Patagonia :smiley:

Ah, the old days of the Roman Empire… :smiley:

But Sardinia is still part of Italy too!

…might be best left in pacem rwan :hushed:

There are a few Italians in that part of the world, as well :wink:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Italian_Argentines

I see what you’re saying… we should drive them out! :slight_smile:

One of those, family name Bergoglio, now pretty famous all over the world with stage name Francis. :rofl:

p.s. take this off the list, @stephenbranley, he’s already moved to the Vatican!

Ignoring the rudeness, perhaps you should help the poor writer/paper’s ignorance and educate them about Welsh vowels…?!

I did!
Also because, ironically, official Italian language has only A E I O U for vocals.

So I said I agree on the fact that rugby is in most Welsh people DNA (and not in ours). But the language has 2 more vowels than us and sounds beautiful (even though it might not seem so when you first see it written) and the team wins all the same! :grin:

They didn’t answer, but they did publish it as a comment. So if someone ever reads it, at least they know! :wink: