Learner badges

Diolch yn fawr Dee.I’ll try Nia.

Sorry! Menter Iaith.

I didn’t know there was a Menter Iaith Lloegr! I could give him a try :slight_smile:

1 Like

Dw i newydd dderbyn fy mathodyn y bore ma!
I’ve just received my badge this morning!

4 Likes

I emailed someone about Welsh learner badges but they didn’t back back to me yet. They’re £1 online but postage is double :rofl: so no point. Can you still get them? Maybe pay for a custom badge otherwise.

I think you can have them free of charge from Menter Iaith even if you dont live in Cymru. You need to be part of a bone fide group, but I think that to mentipn SSiW will suffice. Pethaps @carin-harris (Caz) can advise you or check with SSiW admin.

1 Like

They’ve got back to me :smile:

I’ve got a lanyard, like the orange Welsh speech bubble ones, but with ‘dysgwr’ on it.

Like this one (pic borrowed from the net).
Someone brought a few along to my Welsh course but I’m not sure where they got them from - Menter Iaith maybe?

1 Like

Uh…I would not wear the more common badges I’ve seen so far (like the orange one, and the cymraeg). :grimacing:

But I do like @RichardBuck’s L-Plate style design! (even though I’m afraid not many people would guess what it stands for, at the moment, maybe?)

In any case, in Wales I didn’t really feel the need for one: saying “I’m learning Welsh - is it ok if I practice/can we speak it?” worked fine for me.
Simple as that! :wink:

1 Like

I’m just a little shy. So if it helps great. If not time to work harder. I think it’s the learn Welsh website who’ve got back to me

2 Likes

Is it the website with pretty much the same logo as one of the badges? if so, it looks like they should have them.
Oh, of course if you feel it might help you, it’s a good idea to try it!

We’re all different.
By the way, it took me a while to overcome resistance and the little voice in my head going “oh no, you can’t really speak Welsh, you’re going for trouble!” :scream:
But once you go past the first three or four times, and see you survive, it gets easier. :laughing:

This is not meant to convince you not to buy the badge, just sharing my experience - and actually I realized it’s different for me cause…I sometimes still don’t understand what people tell me in English and they sometimes don’t understand what I say, in the UK, so…!!!

3 Likes

Got two badges and other goodies :slight_smile: not sure when I’ll wear the lanyard. Haven’t told everyone at work for various reasons and I don’t like to brag but might have to be brave if I’m going to siariad cymraeg just seems harder at work

4 Likes

Great! And lots of goodies! :astonished:
Although understanding this sort of flowchart is more complicated than learning Welsh itself! :laughing:

You can start with people you don’t know. At least if you’re not satisfied of the results, you don’t even have to meet them again! :wink: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

In work there’s so many questions to ask and it’s not always a relaxed or quiet environment to ymarfer siariad sadly. I’ll get there.

2 Likes

Yes, no hurry. From my experience, it’s good to practice in relaxed environment…like learners group or a random person waiting for the same train nowhere to be seen, a caffi or siop in a quiet moment. You’ll be fine!

3 Likes

When I worked in an office I started with simple things that I repeated every day - “Ti’n moyn dishgled?” (Do you want a cuppa?) “Mae’n braf heddiw” (It’s lovely today) - that kind of thing. The others in the office didn’t actually speak Welsh, though they remembered some from school days, but they responded happily and I had them using a few words of Welsh with me after a few months :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Thanks. I’ll have to start somewhere. Maybe I could say a few things in Welsh to the Welsh speakers who come into the shop. I’ll get confident enough or feel guilty enough at some point :rofl:

2 Likes

Thanks i need to remind myself there is no hurry. I’m not a patient person :rofl:

2 Likes

I usually go for the good-old British go-to of talking about the weather!

“Oooh, mae’n oer heddiw!”

“Mae’n braf y bore 'ma!”

Of course as the only Welsh speaker in my office, it’s all a bit of a waste!

4 Likes