Learners in Conwy / Llandudno

I have been trying to learn to speak welsh seriously for the last five years or so - having completed super-uwch and super meistroli last year and also doing a ‘desuggestopedia’ course with Popeth Cymraeg - which I still attend each Friday am in Bodelwyddan… These sessions are just some of the ones that I am aware of. There are a number of others that I am only vaguely aware of or know a little about - I am more than happy to share whatever information I have - but am not a particularly active member of this forum.

I am always trying to seek out opportunities to practice and develop my understanding - so would welcome the opportunity to meet to chat.

There’s a group that meets Mondays, Castle View Bar and Restaurant, Maggie Murphy’s Hill, Deganwy. Tel. Ifor Williams 01492 582012 for info. Sometimes the venue varies.

Hugh, I’m so jealous - I’d love to do the super- courses. Such a great way to get immersed in it. Unfortunately I work full time so no chance of that.
Thank you for the offer - it’s actually the Canolradd exam I’m doing, as we’re only partway through the Uwch course, so it’ll be this time next year I’ll do the Uwch course.

Thanks Harvey. There certainly seems to be a lot going on! It’s a shame there’s no one place (website or similar) with all the details of all the groups that meet.

Lizzie - the offer still stands, many people helped me so it is only fair that I pay it forward if I can, although I would also gain from the experience so my offer is not wholly altruistic.

Thanks Hugh, that’d be great. Speaking is the area which I feel is my weakest and I’m aware that there’s a 20 minute speaking section, so that’d be helpful if we could work on that. I’ll have a look online at past papers and see the speaking topics that have previously cropped up.

Hahaha typical that we all can’t do different days :roll_eyes: my work commitments change from week to week so I would suggest choosing dates and I’ll do my best to set up work around them. That’s hardest to do on Tuesdays and Wednesdays, but if I can’t come I can’t come.

Thanks for all the info on other opportunities, there’s loads!

Here are some that I don’t think have been mentioned so far:

Be’: Grŵp i siaradwyr Cymraeg a dysgwyr i sgwrsio.
Pryd: Bob dydd Sadwrn (10:30 - 12.30p.m)
Lle: Centre for Cultural Engagement, 10 Ffordd Greenfield, Bae Colwyn LL29 8ES
Cyswllt: Sioned Jones : jones31s@gllm.ac.uk / 01492 546 666 (ext.1545)

Be’: Dewch i ganu ac ymarfer eich Cymraeg hefyd!
Pryd: Bob dydd Mercher (2:00 – 4:00p.m)
Lle: Capel Peniel, Tŷ Mawr Road, Deganwy
Cyswllt: Cynthia Beesley: cynthiabeesley@btinternet.com

Be’: Dewch i sgwrsio ac ymarfer eich Cymraeg!
Pryd: Nos Iau olaf y mis (6:30-8:00p.m)
Sesiwn 1af: 22.02.18
Lle: Tafarn Yr Albion, Conwy
Cyswllt: Sioned Jones: jones31s@gllm.ac.uk / 01492 546 666 (ext.1545)

Be’: Sgwrsio yn Gymraeg dros baned
Pryd: 4ydd (4th) Sadwrn y mis (10:00-11:30a.m)
Lle: Beach Café, Bae Penrhyn

Be’: Sgwrsio a rhannu profiadau
Pryd: 2il (2nd) nos Lun y mis (7:00-9:00p.m)
Lle: Tafarn y Bont (Bridge Inn), Conwy

Be’: Sgwrsio yn Gymraeg dros baned
Pryd: 2il (2nd) Sadwrn y mis (10:00-11:30a.m)
Lle: Siop Lewis, Stryd Madog, Llandudno

Every week there are friendly and informal sessions in Llandudno at 10.30am on Wednesdays in the cafe in Venue Cymru.

3 Likes

Wow Diolch Camilla! Very helpful, thanks.

Just wondering if it’d be worth me setting up a Facebook group for learners to join with all the different groups listed. People could then meet others and have confirmation of when groups are running / stopping for hols etc. Do people think there’s a need for this? Don’t want to do one if it only ends up being 4 or 5 of us in it! Camilla and Hugh do you know others who would join?

1 Like

Yes I think it would be very appreciated - there used to be an app called digwyddiadur,which listed many meetings, but after the reorganisation of welsh for adults it has disappeared.

Note - the 2nd Saturday session in Siop Lewis was moved to 1st Saturday in both May and June. Also the 4th Saturday session will not take place in May and, as I suggested in an earlier post, location for future meetings will be Rhos Fynach in Rhos on Sea.

A Facebook group would be handy for info such as the changes you’ve just mentioned Hugh. Right, I’ll create one now and let you all know the link to it. Please join!

Hello,

My name’s Laura. I live in Llandudno and saw this thread. Ive only just started learning but would like to the opportunity to practise. I’ll keep checking in occasionally. A Facebook group seems a good idea.

Hi Laura. There are lots of dates above for current groups that run, and hopefully more to come.

Here’s the link for the Facebook group everyone, obviously I’ve just created it but will keep adding info:

https://m.facebook.com/groups/201324420475611

The group is up and running but only 4 members so far, so please get sharing! Hugh I’ve added most of what you put above, with the exception of the couple you were going to check.

I will come to the meet in Venue Cymru this morning if that’s ok ? :slight_smile:

Hi I’d like to join in too if possible- I live near Abergele. Diolch!

Hi Sam, did you go to Venue Cymru?

Hi Barbara, are you on Facebook? If so, I’ve just set up a Facebook group and am adding details of all the panad a sgwrs sessions that we know about. It also provides an opportunity for people to arrange their own meet ups. https://m.facebook.com/groups/201324420475611

I’ll hopefully organise one soon for all us SSiWers!

1 Like

Yes I did go and would recommend it to anyone else who is thinking of going. There are a really nice group of people who go there.
I had a really interesting conversation there with a lady who is 99 years old ! It turns out that she grew up on the same road that I did in Penmaenmawr. She was telling me a lot of interesting history and tales of how life in my village used to be . She told me how her friend’s mum was the only person in the whole village who didn’t speak Welsh , but when she moved out of Penmaenmawr 70 years ago there were a lot of English people moving to the “posh” end of the village
The Facebook group is a great idea , I will join it now :slight_smile:

I think I’ve just approved your request to join! I’d like to go to the Venue Cymru one but Work Mon-Fri 9-5 so no chance of that. How lovely to find out all that history. Do they meet weekly and what time? I’ll add it to the Facebook group.

1 Like

Yes they meet every Wednesday morning at 10:30am . It’s a shame you can’t make it. There is a good panad a sgwrs once a month on Saturday morning at Caffi Llan in Glan Conwy if you are able to make that :slight_smile: