Learners in PortTalbot

what is Slack WSP please

1 Like

See www.saysomethingin.com/wsp :slight_smile:

1 Like

2nd thoughts, possibly not Francos as it is more of a restaurant. Glenda and I might have a look around over the weekend. Any excuse for a trip to Aberavon :grinning:

2 Likes

Hi Carin Iā€™m in Margam, Iā€™d be more than happy to meet in The Twelve Nights, Margam Dear or Francoā€™s. Tuesdays Thursdays and Fridays (evenings) are usually good for me. Happy to ā€˜hangoutā€™ in Slack too. Helen

2 Likes

Hi John, Remoā€™s is another option for Aberavon. It can get a bit noisy on times, but the evenings, around 7pm, this time of year are not too bad. Helen

2 Likes

FYI Been to The Margam Dear this afternoon for lunch, and the music is very loud plus 2 TV screens going. Not sure what the evening would be like say mid-week? Twelve Nights is roomy - most times and days ok for me, just let me know. Thanks

1 Like

Remix is very noisy. I s
Donā€™t know if anyone read my message but I did suggest Aberafan Hotel, is usually very quiet and I know there is a welsh group that meets there in a Friday morning.
MAybe we could hold a meeting there at a different day !

3 Likes

Aberafon Beach Hotel on the front? Yeah fine with me. Day or evening fine with me. I know John can only do evenings because of workā€¦is that right John?

1 Like

Yes its on the front, there is plenty of room, its quiet, they do a nice coffee, or you could have a drink if you wanted.
The group that meets on a Friday is an experienced welsh speaking group that have been meeting for a long time, they used to meet in Remos but found it too noisy.
If we could get a beginners group meet, then after we felt more confident with speaking we could maybe ask some of them to join us once in a while to encourage us and give us more confidence to speak
I can do any day other than a Wednesday in the day, and any night other than a Friday, or Saturday.

Good morning all, I am also living in Port Talbot and I started the course about 9 months ago. Iā€™m really enjoying but unfortunately donā€™t get to use it daily due to lack of welsh speakers in the area. I would love to use it more often.

4 Likes

Nice to know there are others in the Port Talbot area trying to learn Welsh, would be great if we cound sort our meeting up.

Yes, I work, mostly day shifts. I canā€™t manage Tuesday nights. But didnā€™t let that put you off arranging a day if it suits you better.

Sorry should have been ā€œdonā€™t let thatā€¦ā€

1 Like

Ok ā€¦ for an evening meet, how about a Monday evening starting the 25th Feb meet at The Aberavon Beach Hotel for 6.30 - 7pm? (Iā€™m away this Monday)
For an afternoon meet we could start Wednesday 20th say for 12.30pm ?

Both open to location day/time change if not convenient, just throwing it out there to get something sorted.
Iā€™m free to attend both evening and daytime meets :slight_smile:
Wish we could do a poll on hereā€¦can we? If not itā€™d be good if you could say when you can meet up.
Diolch
PS. Perhaps we should all wear a daffy so we know each other lol

3 Likes

Hi Caz & All.
Given a 100% choice Iā€™d go for Wed eve or Thurs Eve, but Monday Evening would be OK.

As I said, donā€™t worry too much about me, as I get chance to talk Welsh on a fairly regular basis anyway. So, the main thing is that you all get together, whenever you can make it.

Edit: Hi @toni-matthews . To be honest I thought the same about the lack of Welsh speakers. But Iā€™m surprised at how many of my friends and acquaintances turned out to be secret speakers (well a few anyway), although admittedly it did take me several months to suss them out. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I can do a Wed evening John, so if itā€™s easier for others fine with me too.
See what the others say and weā€™ll go from there?
So votes please and we can get a regular meeting starting in Port Talbot for us SSIW learners.

2 Likes

Wednesday fine with me .

2 Likes

Yes, Wed eve sounds great. Itā€™s 50/50 if I can make next Wednesday, but the one after should be definitely ok.

1 Like

Helo,
I would prefer to meet in the day time, but cannot do a Wednesday, Monday 25th would be ok for a first meeting, but I do not think I would be able to meet every Monday. But if that is when people want to meet thats fine, I could come when I could.
Sandy

2 Likes

Yes, I think it would be good for you to pick a mutually suitable day and time. As I said, donā€™t miss out because of me, as Iā€™m ok with finding Welsh speakers anyway. Obviously Iā€™d be happy to come along though.

1 Like

Iā€™m really variable with the days and evenings I can do, because although I only work 3 days a week, I donā€™t work set days every week. Iā€™ll do my very best to make the first meet up on Monday 25th Feb though. Iā€™m working all day but I will try to make it by 6.30pm. I do a class with my teenage daughter in the Aberavon Fitness Centre just next door to the hotel at 8pm on a Monday/Wednesday so meeting in the hotel is great for me. Helen

1 Like