Liverpool SSiW at Bethel

Angela,

If you have a look nearer the top of this thread you’ll see that Aran has been actively supporting our group at Bethel by arranging for it to be publicised in the regular SSiW emails!

Mike F.

2 Likes

Hi folks. Apologies for being absent these past weeks. I hope to be back at Bethel on Monday 4th of April. See you then
Frank

Hi @FrankL!

We look forward to seeing you again on 4th. Dal ati!

Mike F.

1 Like

Pasg hapus i bawb!

1 Like

I saw this thread and clicked on it because I was puzzled. I have spent many happy days in and around Bethel. But I realised soon enough that you meant Capel Bethel, not Bethel, Gwynedd!

@henddraig Yes, we’re at Capel Bethel, near Penny Lane in Liverpool. You’re welcome to visit us if you ever happen to be in The 'Pool on a Monday evening (except on the bank holiday tomorrow, when we’re not having a meeting).

@AngelaL Pasg Hapus i chi hefyd! Dw i’n hoffi’r wyau!

That would be heralded by the appearance of herds of pigs towing me in a carriage of thistledown!! (It is all I can do to stagger down to my friend’s car and travel 3 miles to,the town!) :smiley: :pig:

@henddraig I’m very sorry to hear that. For the next seven days, however, the iPlayer will at least let you see what Capel Bethel looks like without you needing to visit us in person. The S4C programme Mamwlad featured Ffion Hague interviewing Dr Rees, the minister, about Betsi Cadwaladr in the same corner of the chapel as is used by our beginners’ group every Monday. The relevant section starts at 8 minutes and 20 seconds into the programme.

Best wishes from Liverpool, even if we won’t be able to meet you!

1 Like

Hi, I live in Gayton on the Wirral and would be keen to come along and learn with the Liverpool group. I’m originally from Cardiff so have been doing the southern course, did courses 1 and 2 then switched to level 2 after reading the forum and am on challenge 4 at the moment. I did O level Welsh in 1984 so again it is a bit rusty and feel I would benefit from speaking to others rather than just practising on my own. Please let me know where and when you meet. Thanks, Mike.

2 Likes

@mikewake We meet at Bethel, the Liverpool Welsh Centre and Chapel in Auckland Road, L18 0HX. It’s near Penny Lane. Doors open at 7:15 for a prompt start at 7:30 every Monday evening. You are very welcome to join us! See you on Monday?

1 Like

I did see this!
I was very surprised. I expected a very tall Victorian chapel with a gallery inside and a huge organ requiring a huge organ loft. Instead Chapel Bethel seems quite low and small! Mind, Bethel, Gwynedd is quite a small, unassuming place, so maybe it fits!!

@henddraig The very large and leaky part of the building (which did have a gallery and a large pipe organ) was demolished when the premises were modernised a few years ago. It only dated back to the late 1920s, not Victorian times. It is commemorated now in a stained glass window.

Mike, Thanks for the reply. I am preparing for an interview for a job in the next week or so therefore will probably not make it for a few weeks however I am keen to come. How many usually attend?

@mikewake Somewhere between 10 and 20 of us, usually split into a beginners’ group and a conversation group. I recommend the conversation for you, based on how far you have progressed through SSiW already. Good luck with your interview!

1 Like

Impressive window! Building pictured is not far from what I imagined. I guess Morriston Tabernacle or Brunswick, Swansea were in my mind!

Shwmae pawb! Just in case you didn’t see the flyer for Mrs Reynolds and the Little Rascal that Dr John was handing out last night, here’s a link to the production’s web page:

http://theatr.cymru/portfolio/mrs-reynolds-ar-cena-bach/?lang=en

The play will be performed at Theatr Clwyd on May 10th and 11th. It’s in Welsh, with a special app available to help learners follow the performance in English. The app is called Sibrwd (“Whisper”) because it whispers a summary of the action into your ear while it’s happening. Here’s a short video to show how it works:

1 Like

Just a quick reminder - we’ll be meeting this evening at Bethel as usual. Doors open at 7:15 for a prompt 7:30 start. Tea and biscuits follow at 8:30.

1 Like

Hi:

I’m very keen on visiting you all at Bethel, if I can get home from work in time to make it from St Helens. I’m on Level 2 (Northern), but have probably forgotten a lot of Level 1, because I can only speak in Welsh to myself!

1 Like

@EvansianE - you’re most welcome to visit, as often as you wish. We’ll be meeting at Bethel as usual next week, but please note that the following Monday is a bank holiday and the chapel/centre will be closed.

We hope to meet instead in a pub just across the road. I’ll post details here once I’ve checked with the pub manager about being able to use a quiet corner without piped music.

1 Like

That’s fine, as it will probably be a week or two before I can make it. I think it’s great there are enough Welsh learners in Liverpool to have a meeting like this!

1 Like