London tube map - in Welsh!

Just came across this and thought it worth sharing (especially for London SSiWers - your tube journeys will never be the same!) :slight_smile:

11 Likes

Brynwimbl - I love it!

O, this is hilarious! :rofl:

However some are easy to catch like Brodyrddu…Croesbrenin (ha ha!), but others I can’t really figure.

For example:
Turnham Green = Maes Ynystroi. Ok maes and troi, but why ynys?
Chiswick Park = Parc Cawsfferm. Does it play with the sound of chis=cheese? But how does wick become fferm?
Wimbledon = Brynwimbwl how does it turn into that? @KateM ?

Not that it is necessary, but just curious now since I enjoy this way of playing with words. :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

The ynys doesn’t necessarily mean ‘island’ (as we usually think), it can mean ‘river meadow’ or even a raised area in wet ground, or dry ground in a marsh - I presume Turnham met that criteria at some point.

Chiswick was first recorded c1000 as the Old English Ceswican meaning “Cheese Farm” :slight_smile:

The name Wimbledon means “Wynnman’s hill”, but ‘Wynnman’ has got mangled into ‘Wimble’ over the centuries.

4 Likes

Oh ok, thanks!
So the answer for those that are not obvious might be in the origin of the English name then. It’s going to be a long research, i can entertain myself for a couple of months. :laughing:

2 Likes

Oh yes, place names are fascinating in all languages!

2 Likes

Aha, I just found this too and was wondering if any SSiW people had come across it yet! It does make me wonder if Mr Smith has maybe a little too much time on his hands, but it’s just brilliant. (And no, I’ll never look at the Tube map in quite the same way again, even though I barely know a few words of Welsh so far.)

Mind you, this has now inspired me to take up the challenge of translating the entire Tube map into Cornish… :grin: (Seriously, there’s a very avid lot of Cornish speakers and learners in and around London, so it IS a useful idea. Sort of.)

1 Like

That’s brilliant! There are some fantastic translations in there! “Ffynnonystwn” for Stockwell and “Stryd Triporthladd Fawr” for Great Portland Street. I wish he’d changed “Mornington” to “trefore” or something similar. But this is keeping me very entertained

2 Likes

I also didn’t realise that Llinos is the name of a bird (Finch in English) and I have now learnt what Llannerch Vineyard is gamed after (a glade or clearing). I love the name Llannerch Llinos for Finchley.

2 Likes

I thought the same, so I did a bit of searching online and found that the name Mornington (the crescent itself and the station were named after the Earl of Mornington) comes originally from a village in County Meath and is an Anglicisation of the Irish Baile Uí Mhornáin , meaning “Town of the Mariner”. So if we want to take it right back to its Celtic roots, it’s really Treforwr.

3 Likes

Oh good digging! I like Treforwr too!

2 Likes

So do I. Actually I did the Cornish first — Trevarner — and looked up the Welsh. (No, I haven’t had time to re-do the entire map in Cornish yet… :flushed: )

Ron i’n arfer byw yn Llannerchllinos blynyddoedd yn ol! Love it.

2 Likes

If I had ever lived somewhere without a Welsh name, this would certainly pique my interest in finding a Welsh name for it!

My home town of Monmouth - Trefynwy in Welsh today - had an older Welsh name of Abermynwy, ‘mouth of the Monnow’, of which, of course, Monmouth is a closer translation than ‘Town of the Monnow’. But then if they’d stuck to Abermynwy, I wouldn’t have learnt the mutations for T so quickly… o Drefynwy, yn Nhrefynwy, a Threfynwy… :rofl:

3 Likes

I’ve never lived in a town with a Welsh name, even though my current village of Uralla could be pronounced in the Welsh way. My place of birth is Helmond - low mound/tumulus - so it is now Iselgrug :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Well, this map has certainly got around a bit. I live in London and my four adult children don’t follow anything Welsh but, this morning, after discovering my son had stayed over (late party somewhere in Brixton) the first thing he said to me was ‘have you seen the Welsh tube map’!

4 Likes

I live in Thornbury (near Bristol). What about Tredraenen? Or probably Treddraenen? (or some other better suggestion?)

Apparently, Thornbury was originally derived from the Old English thorn broc which means “the stream by the thorns”, so how about Nantyddraenen? :slight_smile:

Nantyddraenen sounds good. I shall have to get some stickers made up to stick on the town sign’s. ‘Croeso i Nantyddraenen’! I wonder if there is some sort of official register or list where alternative names in Welsh can be registered?

This is the only one that springs to mind, but I’m not sure they cover as far as Thornbury - sorry - Nantyddraenen!
https://www.cymdeithasenwaulleoedd.cymru/en/