Naid di , byddet ti, newch chi

Hiya, I’m getting a bit muddled with you will/ you would / would you.
Are these interchangeable? Naid di / newch chi/ byddet ti.
Or are there differences in meaning?

Thank you!

Erm, so…

Stating that you will do something…eg

I will go and get him first thing in the morning

…implies that this is going to happen - a statement of intent.

I would go…

…implies either than it isn’t going to happen…

.…but I don’t have car

…or is conditional and therefore only might happen…

if the car will start

…di and ti refer to the singular, familiar form of ‘you’ - pets, children, extremely close acquaintances etc…

Chi to the plural / respectful / non - familiar form of ‘you’…

So is newch chi just the plural/polite way of saying naid di? I’m thinking that naid di seems to apply to both will you and would you - is that right? But then sometimes i say byddet ti, but cat and Iestyn say naid di so I’m wondering if they are all different ways of saying the same thing like how sa i’n is the same as dw i ddim yn… But i may very well be getting it wrong :grinning:

Yes it is. And these are future tense endings on the verb - gwneud - to do - so they are familiar and polite/ plural version of ‘you will (do)’…

…and often another verb is added on to the end meaning that gwneud is just used to create the future tense.

Exactly the same can be done with ‘bod’ to be - bydd for the future - and have Byddi di and Byddwch chi…

With a broad brush they are equivalent - but in the same way that you use the pretorite for the past tense, for verbs which reflect actions/ doing things eg running, walking etc. - to a degree ‘doing things’ go with gwneud for the future too - and things which have a state (of being) - suit ‘bod’.

…but hey…

1 Like

…and the situation with condional eg would - is exactly the same principle - there are conditional endings. They are in practice used on very much fewer verbs…

So for bod (bydd)…

Byddwn i (Iestyn uses Bydden)
Byddet ti
Byddai fe/hi

Bydden ni
Byddech chi
Bydden nhw

Rich :slight_smile:

1 Like