Nerves on doing challenges!

This sounds, and possibly is, a bit mad, but my struggle is opening a challenge each time. Adrenalin flows. I enjoy them when I get going but get annoyed with getting annoyed with myself. This is not meant to be a riddle. It’s going fine but does anyone find themselves castigating themselves for mistakes?

1 Like

Yes, just about everyone… until they get used to the SSiW mantra - “don’t worry, mistakes are actually useful and it’s ok to make them!”. It sounds counter-intuitive but it’s true!

6 Likes

I get the same nervous adrenaline as I know I’m going to have to think quickly to get the answer out without using the pause button, but I suspect that adrenaline helps a lot with the process of forming memories so I’m trying to savour the excitement!

1 Like

Well that’s a relief! I thought it was just me. Sometimes it feels like an exam, but it’s great when it clicks.

4 Likes

Thanks - I really must get that mantra well and truly embedded - and remember the obvious, that is that we are doing this for ourselves and we are not being judged

4 Likes

Try and think of other achievements that have needed a lot of practice to get right as well - like a toddler learning to walk. They don’t fall over a few times then give up, and they all make it in the end. Tell yourself it’s fine to fall over as many times as you need to and that one day you’ll be running :slightly_smiling_face:

7 Likes

you are absolutely right - and encouraging - diolch

1 Like

Why as a race are we so hard on ourselves and each other? The philosophy of Ssiw whereby you are encouraged to make mistakes because it is proof you are trying and so will learn if you keep at it, is exactly the right attitude and so much kinder. Take into account this fforwm, always so accepting and encouraging. I want to live in a world like that please. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

6 Likes

what can I say? you are right, I am flawed, but I keep going … I will not give up … I will speak, fluently, eventually, the language my father learnt before he picked up English at school

1 Like

Lol, yes I’m getting annoyed with myself at the moment doing level 1 challenge 4, I keep getting fedra I ddim cofio and dw I wedi anghofio mixed up, along with others

1 Like

So I decided not to get nervous and to concentrate, especially in the second half of the challenge with those nasty long sentences. Halfway, going well, bring it on, I’m ready for the hard ones. It’s unexpectedly a sentence from a previous challenge. Pfft, easy, rattle it off and prepare for the hard one. And then realise that the ‘easy’ one that I rattled off was one of the hard ones that tripped me last time. The brain is weird.

4 Likes