New Year's Resolution - Aged Dragon's Quest!

With the isio (or moyn, if you’d prefer) you’re good to go. Of course it doesn’t matter if you choose to go with more southern language that comes more readily to mind.

1 Like

Diolch, but I can’t help feeling if I am supposed to be becoming a gog, I’m not doing well if i use lots of southern idioms! I have just heard you tell me, at the end of 2.14, how well I’m doing, but you can’t hear me! Mistakes are one thing, long pause followed by gabble of mistakes is another!

If you look for reasons to feel negative about yourself, you’ll always (like everyone else) be able to find them…:slight_smile:

I don’t need to hear you - I know enough about what you’re doing because of the lesson you’ve reached.

No, it’s the same thing. It’s mistakes, and mistakes are good. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Just ‘finished’ 2.15! Read blurb for 2.16 and can assure you, confetti will fly yfory!

3 Likes

I have a mental block which is definitely Freudian! I find it impossible to learn ‘you should be proud of yourself!’ Clearly I know in my gut, heart even head, that it isn’t true!

Well, it’s time to straighten yourself out, because anyone who has kept their resolution and has done all of Level 1 and more than half of Level 2 in about 2 months should most DEFINITELY be proud of themselves! :slight_smile: :star2:

3 Likes

Yes, but my memory is terrible and nothing sticks for long! Probably only the bits I’ll never need to say! I’ve just finished 2.16 and I suddenly realised that I was talking about walking here, there and everywhere, whereas, in real,life, I am trying to apply for a blue badge because I am, “unable or virtually unable to walk”!

That’s such a dreadfully sad thing to read.

henddraig, did you pay attention to @tatjana’s journey?

She was determined to be unkind and negative to herself, and it took a huge amount of step-by-step detail and measuring before she would begin to believe that the process was actually working for her… and look where she is now.

Roughly what % of the phrases in 2.16 would you say you got somewhere near?

1 Like

OK it wasn’t that bad. I didn’t count and most is so alike what comes before that it’s virtually impossible to get wrong. When you suddenly pop in something from the day before or three days back, blank! If it pops up again, I may hazard something pretty close, but I still get tenses wrong! Yfory 2.17!

1 Like

so do i , along with a lot of other people.

Cheers J.P.

3 Likes

Hey @henddraig! It’s 0:45 here and I was aimed to go to bed, but I just had to stop here, allerted to one mighty draig needs a bit of warm encouragement so here I am.

PAID!!! poeni, really. OK?

It’s what @aran says. I was determined to beat myself to the last (mind) bone with the pure fact (false though) that I’m literally unable to learn the language. I claimed the same - that I don’t improove at all, that I don’t remember anything at all …Better you don’t know how my measuring looked like. I’ve made the whole scientific/calculating process out of measuring my progress, making an Excel sheet which would (inserting particular letter for false or right answer) calculate my percentage automatically … And for the top of the iceberg, I didn’t recognize partly right/wrong answer. It was all black and white - or said was right or wrong, there was no middle point … Oh, boy … Apart from learning some bits of Excel I maybe wasn’t too familiar yet, the measuring (very accurate measuring) was more or less too pointless, making me more frustrated but it had that good side effect of knowing I’m improoving.

You don’t need to do something like this. You don’t need to feel frustrated. What you really need is making a lesson a day (according to your plan) and some speaking to other Welsh speakers/learners and you’ll be just fine.

Tenses? I know exactly why you’re mixing them. Because I do that too. You’d never mix tenses so much in real life speach than you’d always do that in a lessons. In the lessons you pay attention to which tense is the sentence/structue said in and when the Engllish bit is finished you all of a sudden find yourself not knowing which tense was used at all, especially if there is mix of two sentences each in slightly different (tense) form. I mix tenses very often in the conersation even now especially when it is the case of past tense.

As much as I could hear you speaking, you’re doing just fine. I hope I see you in next group chat again. :slight_smile:

So C 17 today, right! Can you do it? - YES YOU CAN!

A friend who’d like to cheer you up!

@aran Thank you for your kind words here and endless thank you for your time to chat with me in the past and much, much more.

5 Likes

Diolch yn fawr @tatjana fach! I do think you were a lot more self-critical than I am, as I have carried on my plan without repeating a challenge and very little use of pause, except to stop when, say, going to make my cocoa!! (I’m not sure if you have cocoa in Slovenia, it is an old fashioned chocolate drink you make by whisking the powder with sugar in milk being heated to boiling point on the stove! Hot chocolate is a powder containing dry milk and sweetener, so is just made with boiling water. As you can’t adjust the strength or sweetness, I much prefer the old fashioned way!).
Anyway, I do realise I am learning something and that ‘real’ conversation is totally different. In fact, conversation with fluent speakers is easier, as they can work out what you are trying to say, whereas in Skype sessions we have a mix of de/gog and all sorts of accents and none of us are perfect at either speaking or understanding!
@aran your last comment to me, asking how much I got right did actually cause me to rethink and stop concentrating on my ‘forgetting’ and mistakes!
So diolch to you both! :thumbsup:
And to @Pete2 en route from Norway who, in a brief, mainly English Skype, brightened my morning!

2 Likes

I would be very happy indeed to see that… :slight_smile:

Your response wasn’t very clear, but it made it sound as though you were doing far, far better than you realise - I’ve seen people learn with real success even when they’re only getting about 10% of the material ‘correct’…

2 Likes

Wel i’m back, battered and bruised, and that was just from fainting at paying £11 for a pint.

Perhaps i should hope for saysomethinginnorwegian, it was my fifth visit in two years!

2 Likes

Clearly, you like snow" nb Norway was the place where a friend who learned Norwegian could never speak it, because everyone was insulted if he tried because they thought it implied that they were too uneducated to speak English!

2 Likes

I don’t think I’ll finish 2.17’tonight, too tired. And a lot of rugby yfory! We’ll see!

1 Like

Well @aran I ‘did’ the rest of 2.17 bore’ma! On the + side, my voice is better at this time of day, however, my memory was really struggling, I haven’t a clue what percentage I got wrong, it was probably easier to count the little I got right! I’ll see how 2.18 goes before I give in and repeat! But I doubt I’ll have time today.

1 Like

I just started 2.18 but I really don’t feel like it. Maybe watching my poor country lose made me too sad to want a challenge! I shall give up until tomorrow and cwtch up with Toffi watching programmes which need no concentration, like Bones and Casualty!

Always a good idea to be kind to yourself and not push on when you don’t feel like it…:slight_smile:

1 Like

@aran how vital is word order? Damn I had an example in my head and it’s gone, but if I said, rhoi iddo fo rhywbeth, instead of rhoi rhywbeth iddo fo, would it matter? Actually I nearly always say iddo fe! Oh dear, I am struck damn! If I get three words out for any one sentence of 2.18, it’s a miracle just now! What is wrong with me! Thinks, do I plough on with mainly just listening and then try 2.19 or do I stop and try tomorrow? I think I’ll plough on!
Decided lengths and speed are all too much for me. Maybe I’ll start 2.18 again tonight and divide it into 10 minute chunks, try those one or two a day and see how that goes? Ideas?

1 Like