Northern Luxury Bootcamp - 17th to 24th April 2015

Well done you, that’s brilliant! :blush:

3 Likes

So many highlights but this was a real conversation stopper as we all just stared towards the horizon. Magical. Brilliant picture too Ian. :blush:

2 Likes

You do sound like a first language Welsh speaker for most of the time. I’ve learnt a lot from listening to you. If only my memory was better… I’ve been learning 2 more years than you, but I’m way behind being fluent. Da iawn ti, Geraint. Bod yn falch iawn. x

1 Like

I’ve really enjoyed everyone stories. Anne you’ve been through a week of Bootcamp and been understood… Well, that’s what I call fluency. It was sixteen years before I reached where you and Geraint are.

6 Likes

I think I clicked the wrong reply button! Karen - ti’n siarad yn dda hefyd - ond fy neges ydy i Geraint! x

1 Like

Dim problem @annesuggate! Will you let me know via email or skype message, when you are most often free to siarad! Loads of love! :kissing_closed_eyes:

Something similar happened (well, at least once), on the Tresaith Bootcamp (involving two other bootcampers, so I’m not blowing my own trumpet) - they were complimented, not just on the fact that they were speaking Welsh (and only Welsh), but on the quality of the Welsh.

3 Likes

Prowd iawn ohonot ti, Geraint :star: :star2:

2 Likes

Kev has started a whatsapp group for all bootcamp 2015 survivors so if you’re not already on it but want to be just send your details to him, I’m sure a pm here will work fine. :blush:

1 Like

Fantastic!

When we finished the week in Sarn, I couldn’t bear the thought of driving back to England and switching back to speaking English feeling like I’d only been speaking Welsh with my fellow boot campers in our little bubble. It all started to feel a bit artificial. So, before I drove home, I drove the 5 minutes to Traeth Towyn near Tudweiliog (a place where I’ve been on holiday many times and hardly used more than a few words of welsh) to buy a couple of gifts from the little craft shop “Cwt Tatws”. I spent 10 minutes in that shop having a conversation in Welsh with the lady who was there, including describing how I felt apprehensive about speaking english again because i was “thinking in welsh”. She told me she has the same problem - talking to people in english in the shop whilst thinking in welsh! She thanked me for having a discussion with her and wished me luck with my Welsh. Never once did either of us refer to it as “learning”, just “speaking”. I think this was one of the best experiences for me so far.

Geraint – You speak so naturally to 1st language speakers (the people in the shops, cafes, pubs and streets we went to on the bootcamp) it was a real inspiration to me and encouraged me to do the above little trip. It does not surprise me that mae’r dyn o ynys môn didn’t think of you as a learner - you come across very natural and even the pauses and shrugs are a part of the language. Even 1st language speakers do this, I’ve seen!

I think I know how you feel. Here’s to letting go of self-consciousness a jyst mwynhau’r sgwrs!

6 Likes

Da iawn ti, Rob. Last year one of my best experiences speaking Welsh was on the last day - we were in Caernarfon, and I wandered round on my own - and in the process had two quite long conversations with staff in a book shop and a gallery. I was able to understand and speak with them because they took interest in our conversations and allowed me time to pause and think, and encouraged me with smiles. It’s a great feeling when that happens.

6 Likes

Back in the U.S. now - it has taken me a few days to get over the feeling of having one foot in Wales and one foot in Wisconsin and to remember that I don’t have to be saddened by the fact that I can’t hear Cymraeg go iawn anymore because its such a part of me now that its always with me.
What a privilege it was to spend a week with such a committed, positive and genuinely lovely group of people. I don’t know why bootcamp is so soul shaking for me but it is. After all, its just a group of people who want to learn a particular language gathered together for a week using a very effective tool (don’t use any other language) to encourage the mental process of acquiring that language. I suppose @karendevlin_1 it has something to do with people sharing a common desire creating a powerful focus that unites energetically, neu rhywbeth fel 'na.

Oh, funny Vaughan, I didn’t even know you were teasing - must have gone dros fy mhen (not unusual) - unless it was the ‘doeth’ discussion - so anyway whenever it was, Thanks! because I am waaaaaaay too serious!

[quote=“gruntius, post:345, topic:929”]
Emotions will run high but let’s make them positive ones, ones that push is forward,
[/quote] yup, I think everyone would agree that about sums up every day…

Really grateful to for Vaughan and Mark for offering a ride to Blaenau to catch my train which extended bootcamp a tiny bit as we had a few more hours of shared Cymraeg, along with Jen…

6 Likes

Sorry, managed to post that too soon. After bootcamp I spent 2 days in Llandudno tramping around Trwyn y Fwch (the little Orme). Besides having some personaly interesting history going way, way back, the landscape is really, really amaazing.
Then I spent a week in Y Bala staying at a 1st language Welsh b&b who were generously patient enough to conduct all of our interactions during the week yn y Gymraeg. I managed to turn something that should have been pure fun into an emotional rollercoaster ride ranging from timidity and lack of confidence, complete awe and love for the culture which my hosts proudly shared with me, love of the landscape and its history but also some confident moments of discourse with the folks of Y Bala. The week reinforced my gratitude for bootcamp. Walking around and hearing Cymraeg everywhere - families in the streets, in shops, caffi, over a pint at Plas Coch - just casually conversing in this language that I love, I though to myself that perhaps these people have no idea how lucky they are to have been raised with Welsh as their 1st language. They may indeed love their language but they do not know what it feels like to not be able to comfortably speak it. But everyone at bootcamp knew that feeling and the value in being part of that community is immeasurably helpful.

The memory of the practice in Capel Nebo is nestled lovingly in my being along with another wonderful experience of this trip - while in Bala I was privileged to listen in at the practice of Cor Meibion, Llanuwchllyn. wow to both.:

Aberderon, my breakdown day. Sorry team, wish I could have been more help.

Wel, chwarae teg, it was a hot day and he was thirsty.

Caernarfon. Lots of fun exploring with Anne, and a lovely walk across and along the banks of the strait with Anne and Alun. A bit away from the city center with new scenery to inspire us to stretch our muscles Cymraeg.

Heartfelt thanks to Catrin for the delicious first night meal and the careful planning of activities. The balance of activities vs. non activities was just right. Manon Steffan Rhos was just as amazing as everyone has said and I was hanging on every spoken/sung word. I finished ‘Al’ on the plane home and can’t wait to read some more.
And thanks to Aran for being so supportive, encouraging and understanding. Oh yeah, and for writing the courses too.

This link I feel between two worlds ( Wales and the U.S.) is something I don’t really understand. But I’ll continue traveling back and forth across that bridge as long as I can. :smile:

11 Likes

There were some people talking about you in Taro Deg this morning, Deb - the women you were talking to outside Plas Glyn-y-Weddw - praising your attitude and your Welsh and asking Catrin when you were likely to be back… :sunny:

Part of you will always belong here now, never mind how often you can actually get here :sunny:

3 Likes

Oh, wow.

1 Like

Really good to hear all about your adventures after bootcamp Deb. I was really looking forward to spending the week with you again after two years ago and I wasn’t disappointed at all, it was a real pleasure to converse with you and just absorb your gentle, elegant enthusiasm. You are a real inspiration (I’m not just talking about the welsh language here either). Thank you.

5 Likes

That was great thing to watch such a long and natural sounding conversation between local 1st language speakers and bwtcampers.

Unfortunately I wasn’t one of those involved in the conversation! But it gives me hope that I can get to that point where it comes so naturally :smile:

2 Likes

gheesh Geraint, wyt ti’n trio gwneud i mi crio?

3 Likes

Wel, it actually felt rather overwhelming but thanks Rob…

3 Likes

I haven’t forgotten about the questionnaire my friends. :wink:

2 Likes