Northern vs Southern

Hello!

Sorry if there have already been lots of posts already about whether to do the Northern or Southern version, but I would really appreciate some advice. I am from Mid Wales and did a Mynediad course there and a few lessons of the SSIW Northern version, but recently moved to Cardiff and started a Canolradd evening class. I learnt Northern Welsh in the Mynediad course but now we are doing Southern Welsh in my evening class. I would like to start doing the SSIW lessons again but prefer the Northern version so I would like to continue with that, but I am not sure it would make sense. I am worried my Welsh will be a real mix of both of them and sound odd if I say things like baswn i and af i and then mi fydda i and mae oā€™n. What do you think?

Thank you! :smile:

1 Like

Hey, I wouldnā€™t worry too much. Pure logic says switch to Southern but, two of my best friends do Southern and I do Northern and we get by fine. I just use my Northern and they use their Southern and everybody is happy and understands each other.

3 Likes

I use a mixture, and donā€™t really think about it. It doesnā€™t seem to matter when it comes to communicating. We had a stand-in tutor in my Welsh class on Friday who is a northerner, and she says she often uses southern phrases but in a northern accent. I wouldnā€™t worry about it :smile:

4 Likes

Thatā€™s good to know! :smiley: I didnā€™t know whether I should try and stop saying the northern forms I have learnt so far and learn the southern ones, and I donā€™t want my progress to be hindered either. I just prefer the northern accent :wink:

1 Like

Seriously, with those examples, no-one would even notice :sunny:

And even if you did - say you had ā€˜Saiā€™n moyn mynd i fyny grisiauā€™, it wouldnā€™t matter at all - besides, once you get into the pattern of using your Welsh regularly, youā€™ll naturally gravitate towards the patterns you hear most often - so play it any which way you like, Iā€™d say :sunny:

2 Likes

Iā€™m doing Southern course but by some coincidence (or not, who knows) until now I have spoken to only people who speak-learn Northern version. Interestingly enough (since my problems with learning appear to be somehow (too) notorious on this forum :slight_smile: ) I didnā€™t (and now even less) have any problems with this. Either I understood each and everyone or I didnā€™t and when speaking I donā€™t really bother too much which version word to use. Of course Iā€™m more keen to Southern words since Iā€™ve made all courses this way but I donā€™t bother with this anymore. My strategy right now is just to have a word to express myself and most of all to be understood what Iā€™m trying to say. I also donā€™t worry too much anymore whether I sound strange or not and Iā€™ve noticed one more thing during the conversations (might be @aran experienced this most in conversation with me) and this is Iā€™m using German words for words like ā€œonā€, ā€œaboutā€, ā€œofā€ etc but even more Iā€™m using word ā€œamā€ for just everything what needs to be connected together ā€¦ catching myself doing this during the conversations I usually just blurt out the next word which (mostly) tends to be right and it might be no one even notices (except for trained ear as Aranā€™s is though) what Iā€™m actually doing.

So, what my message here is (oh, Iā€™m ā€œtalkingā€ too much again): just go for what you think is right and proper. Occassions will teach you what to use and when/where in time ā€¦

I also decided, despite Iā€™ve learnt all those shortenings of South, I wonā€™t bother when I actually wonā€™t use them. To be honest long, simplier forms are my friends for now and many of those Iā€™ve spoken with (as that there really were so many - hehe) could confirm I rather go for long (and for me) more ā€œconfidentā€ forms.

Mutations and such stuff? They will sit on the proper place in time aswell ā€¦ If I remember them and am already saying things wrong I tend to correct myself or not, it depends but if I forget to use them ā€¦ I (NOW FINALLY) carry on. So, go for whatā€™s easier for you and youā€™ll do just fine I suppose/think.

Pob lwc!

2 Likes

Another thing to point out; both courses here are based on regional dialects. You will hear a mix of both in more formal Welsh, and in fact in regular conversation. When I started learning, it was to talk to people in Pembrokeshire (definitely South Wales, even if the government calls everywhere north of Cardiff ā€œMid Walesā€); where the people I spoke to used a lot of patterns from both. So honestly; my advice would be to not worry. The language is basically the same regardless; the differences lie (mostly) in vocabulary, and if youā€™re using the language regularly then your vocabulary will shift towards what youā€™re hearing. When I went to bootcamp, I believe Rambling John was the only person who had been using the Northern course (though I may be wrong), but there werenā€™t any real difficulties for us understanding him or him understanding us.

Either way, donā€™t worry about mutations or shortenings - use them if they come to mind easily; or donā€™t if the longer form comes to mind first. For mutations? Everybody misses them on occasion, and few people will ever notice. Itā€™s like how people commonly miss consonant sounds from the ends of words in English; people tend to notice the overall content rather than the minute details, and tend to gloss over the differences as regional variations.

3 Likes

Curiously I still canā€™t reliably & quickly pin down a speaker to ā€œnorthā€ or ā€œsouthā€ by the accent alone (and Iā€™m pretty sure some people can). Funny, because I hear English accents right away in a few words usually.

1 Like

I think it depends on context. There was a series on TV set somewhere a lot north of Cardiff and they cast someone, I think the lass Eve, who was in Torchwood, and made it really clear she was supposed to be born and raised there. Her accent defintitely didnā€™t fit!! But that is an extreme example!
To @Moochi
As a mixed up speaker (forgetter) of north and south mixed upā€¦ it only matters when doing SSiW challenges and finding you just naturally donā€™t say that!! So, do the course you naturally fit with, north in your case! If you have actually found a community in the south that speaks Cymraeg, you will soon get fluent in the lacal version. If not, youā€™ll get fluent through SSiW!!

1 Like

My girlfriend went to Glantaf in Cardiff and her, her brother and sister, and all of their friends speak a real mix of both. Itā€™s fun to test her. She says she speaks Southern, ask her how sheā€™d say something and more often than not itā€™s a Northern reply. Her Mum is a Gogg and but has lived in Cardiff since the 80s so she speaks a mix too. I really donā€™t think it matters.

Iā€™m learning from the Northern Level 1 and going to Sylfaen gwersi and I enjoy the mix. Sometimes I confuse people in the class but Iā€™m not sure if thatā€™s because Iā€™ve said something Gogg or it just didnā€™t make sense haha.

3 Likes

And thatā€™s probably the most important comment in the threadā€¦ :thumbsup:

1 Like

Thank you to everyone for all of your replies! It is good to know examples of people who use a mix of both and that it wonā€™t matter in the end :smile:

1 Like

I havenā€™t found a community yet apart from my Welsh class. I have yet to really speak Welsh outside of my class apart from a few odd words. I would not feel comfortable yet as I donā€™t feel like I have the bases of the language in place in order to have a conversation with someone!

Paid a becso. You will know when you are ready. Pob lwc.

1 Like