Collddail - Deciduous /lose leaves.
Bytholwyrdd - Evergreen.
Corgimwch - Prawn.
Cimwch - Lobster.
Pryf genwair/Mwydyn - Earth worm.
Brigau - Twigs.
Boncyff - Trunk (of tree).

Cheers J.P.

After last weekend’s crwydro a sgwrs yn yr haul, time to think about our next one. Sat 6th Feb seems to be the day that suits most people. There’s still much to explore in Wytham Wood, but it looks as if it might be ‘closed for maintenance’ that weekend, so the suggestion’s been made that we try Shotover Country Park this time - a former royal hunting forest with it’s own myths & legends and much wildlife, it should make a good substitute (and @ramblingjohn & @pippapritchard it also has it’s own mossing group!).

2 Likes

Grwp mwsogl tydy, byddyn ni’n mawnhau dw i’n credu.

I should be able to make this date or the week after.

Cheers J.P.

1 Like

Shotover looks like it could keep us busy!

1 Like

Bydda, siwr o fod! Welest ti faint o ffurflenau ‘downloadable’ am y bywyd gwyllt bod a’r tudalen wefan ‘About Shotover Wildlife’?

1 Like

Plenty of time yet before we need to decide where best to meet for the walk at Shotover on Sat 6th Feb but it’s probably worth explaining briefly how to get there for anyone who’s still undecided about joining us. There are a couple of options for places to meet:

a. Easiest to find and to get to: Thornhill Park & Ride waiting room with plenty of buses from Oxford centre and station; footpath through fields and trees leads up to Shotover (alternatively, and not much further, we could go via the CS Lewis Nature Reserve and then up through woodland to Shotover).

b. Not so easy to find and get to but immediately adjacent to Shotover Forest: the parking area at the top of Shotover Hill; travelling by bus there’s a 15 min walk up from the nearest stop, with less frequent buses and a less direct route.

I’ll post more detailed directions nearer the time, but let’s see which is going to work best for people.

1 Like

I looked at map and notice i can walk up the ‘old road’ and straight into main car park,

Cheers J.P.

That’s a long list! Looking like some reading needs to be done before the crwydro! Chuffed to see Cobalt Crust on the Fungi page. Looked for @ramblingjohn on the ‘Venerable Naturalists’ one but he’s not included. Must be an oversight.

I can do the 6th, and will meet you at the main parking area just by the park, if that’s OK? If it ends up moving to the 13th (Rambling John said he could do either), I’ll be in Dolgellau so can’t come.

Diolch Carolyn - yes, that’s fine, we’ll plan to meet there at 12:00 on the 6th (I don’t think Pippa can make the 13th either).

2 Likes

Here’s a quick map showing how to get to the parking area on Shotover Hill for our walk on Sat 6th Feb when the plan is to meet up at 12:00 - everyone welcome as always:

If coming by bus, by the way, the parking area’s about 15mins walk up from the nearest bus stop, but if anyone feels uncertain about navigating to the Shotover parking area and would prefer to meet at Thornhill Park & Ride (see earlier post) let me know, as it might be possible for some of us to arrange to meet there at 11:30 before walking up to Shotover to meet the others at midday.

3 Likes

Keeping an eye on the weather forecast with the hope it will be as good as last time.

Cheers J.P.

1 Like

A quick bump for our walk+sgwrs at Shotover this Saturday, 6th Feb - do come along if you can make it (for details, see above)

Also, don’t forget the Oxford Welsh Male Voice Choir St David’s Day Concert on Saturday 27th February.

3 Likes

Diolch am eich cymnu chi gyd - thanks for all your company.
That was a day with more wind than we wish for the rest of the year.
And of course i made some mistakes confusing myself and others no doubt.

Ymenyn y eithin - yellow brain fungus. (yes we have seen it before and i blame the confusion on the difference between welsh and English names).

Ymenyn y eithin : translates as ‘The gorse butter’ Ymenyn being butter.
The English : brain fungus translates back as ‘ffwng ymennydd’ (notice the similarity between Brain and Butter in Welsh.

Now lets look forward to a year of progressive mistakes and hopefully i will improve.

Canol oesoedd - middle ages ; was mentioned today. and we all struggled with the word for centuary (Canrif).

But word of the day goes to JW. Dilys - Authentic.

For anyone thinking of joining us, we are aiming for Witham wood some where in the beginning of March.

Cheers J.P.

1 Like

Diwrnod wyntog iawn oedd hi heddiw ond diwrnod dda - diolch i fyng nghydgerddwyr (??=fellow walkers, I hope) am y sgwrs. However I can’t claim credit for ‘dilys’, the word of the day (it would be annilys =false of me, in fact), as the credit goes to Pippa for that one

3 Likes

Diwrnod arbenning o dda unwaith eto ac er y rhagolwg oedden i’n sych.
Other words that cropped up:
Hungry = llwglyd (not that we were as our pop up cafe was well stocked)
Heath = rhostir
Cherry tree = coeden geirios
Stoat = carlwm
Sand = tywod
The yellow brain fungus plot thickens. In llyfr natur Iolo he tells me it is ‘tremella mesenterica’ in Latin. I thought your mesentery was in your gut not your head.
Two different black fungi. Firstly one that looks like black buttons & according to our learned friend @ramblingjohn this grows on oak branches the year after they have fallen. The unfortunate oak tree, that fell last year, is believed to be 400 years old & now it is giving new life.

2 Likes

Well done Pippa, your photo is better than mine. and i’m so pleased you could make sense of what i was trying to explain about when and where i see these (yn cymraeg).
It is Bulgaria inquinans - black bulgar though have heard them called Bishops buttons. (sorry no Welsh name).

As for the brain fungus i gess we are going to come across quite a few head scratchers when jumping languages.

Cheers J.P.

1 Like

Hoping for some Spring sunshine for our next walk+sgwrs shall we settle on Sat 5th March and Wytham Wood? It was suggested yesterday that we could repeat last year’s very successful walk setting out along the Thames Path and stopping for a break at the Talbot Inn near Swinford Bridge before heading back through Wytham Wood (Coedwig Pentrefanwyn??), and stopping for tea and cake(!) at the Wytham Village Stores, Post Office & Tea Shop

I could make that. Sounds good.

A quick reminder about tomorrow’s (Sat 27 Feb) St David’s Day concert in Oxford (6.30pm, Wesley Memorial Church, New Inn Hall St): http://www.oxfordwelshmvc.org.uk/documents/autumn2015.pdf
And, while I’m about it, don’t forget there’s another walk+sgwrs to Wytham Wood planned for the following Saturday, 5th March
Hwyl,
John

3 Likes