Oxford SSiW - additional meetups?

Well, that was fun. and now for some words said and heard today.

Blodyn menyn - meadow buttercup.

I used perthi for hedge but this seems to also mean bush, gwrych maybe a better translation of hedge.

I use cae for a field that had a hedge this seems correct as it also means enclosure.

I heard dol for meadow which i will try to remember.

Ysgawen - Elder (the tree).

Iorwg - ivy.

Tafol - Dock (plant) one of many i couldn’t remember when asked.

Cheers J.P.

2 Likes

And I particularly liked learning bysedd cwn (foxglove), meillion (clover) helygen (willow), llygaid y dydd (daisy) dant y llew (dandelion ) and iar fach yr haf (butterfly).

Diwrnod hyfryd, diolch i chi oll, cyfeillion.

Now keen for J.W. to confirm next date and place so hopefully i can attend.

Hopefully this format will prove useful to people and numbers will grow over time.

Cheers J.P.

Helo pawb - I think we can settle now on Sat 13 June for the next ramble and I think too we were all agreed during the spring Charlbury ramble that it would be nice to go back and see those woods and meadows again in summer, so let’s do that and aim to meet up at midday in the cafe in the centre of Charlbury (JP, do you remember the cafe’s name?) - for those of us coming from/via Oxford the 11:23 train arrives at Charlbury at 11:40.

PS A quick reminder about the meetup tomorrow, Tuesday, at 5.30pm and the meetup this Saturday 6 June at 11:30am, both downstairs at the Jericho Cafe, Walton Street

John W, memory fails me on the cafe name. anyway i sure look forward to the charlbury return.
Fair weather will mean abundant wildlife, oh and i will try to remember biscuits.

Cheers J.P.

PPS to my last post. Probably a good idea also to quote this post to the ‘Different day for Oxford meetups?’ thread

I’ve finally set up a Doodle poll http://doodle.com/u6eg646uii68ychp1
with
the days of the week and morning, lunchtime, afternoon & evening
timeslots to help us try and find the day or days which suit the most
people.

All that’s needed is to click on the ‘Yes’, ‘No’ or ‘(Yes)’(=perhaps)
choices - just concentrate on the day of the week and timing, and
ignore the dates (Doodle needs you to enter a specific set of dates, so I
simply chose a week at random).

Also add a comment if you like about the frequency you can fit in,
i.e. weekly, fortnightly or monthly, or to suggest specific times or
places - it doesn’t have to be in the Jericho Cafe (most of my own
choices are Yes or (Yes) but probably for most people there’ll be a much
greater proportion of No’s than Yes/(Yes)'s).

1 Like

After a quick look at Charlbury via Google Streetview, it looks as if the cafe in Sheep Street where we had a bit to eat before the previous Charlbury ramble was “News & Things”, so let’s say everyone meets up there at midday, if not beforehand on the 11:23 from Oxford.

By the way, as Pippa suggested out at the meetup yesterday, Charlbury is not so far from other places where there are SSiW people - if anyone else wants to come along, the more the merrier! (e.g. I had a quick look at possible trains arriving at Charlbury from the other direction and there’s one at 11:11 from Worcester arriving at Charlbury at 12:08, or from Birmingham the 10:04 or 10:55 from Banbury links with the 11:23 at Oxford)

3 Likes

Once upon a time when I was visiting there, a local said to me “everyone discovers Charlbury eventually”. :slight_smile:

1 Like

A quick reminder about the meetup 11.30am today, Saturday 6 June, downstairs at the Jericho Cafe, Walton Street

Sorry John. I didn’t see this reminder in time, and to be honest, I don’t think I knew it was happening. Must have passed me by.

Dim ots, Mike - I think it was announced when you were away and I was a bit late in posting the reminder, anyway

I’m busy hoping for good weather next Saturday.
Wild flowers, biscuits and good company. Mae’n swnio dda.

Cheers J.P.

2 Likes

Hi John, I tried the doodle poll
but it came up as ‘doesn’t exist’ and asked if I was looking for other areas of doodle, and i didn’t know what to put. I think your link may not be specific enough.

I don’t know if I can make the 13th yet…transport problems.

Hi Carungo - I see what’s happened. A ‘1’ seems to have attached itself to the pasted link above. If you click on http://doodle.com/u6eg646uii68ychp that should work OK

At the moment the weather forecast is good for Saturday.

Cheers J.P.

Diolch John.
I plan to be there.

EDIT:

I noticed that another group are having what they call a Welsh Wander. All’s fair in love and Welsh, so shall we steal this name, but Cymraeg-ify it, and call it a Crwydro Cymraeg?

(Or in this case, a Charlbury Crwydro Cymraeg).

:slight_smile:

I withdraw this suggestion. Felt more like a route march than a crwydro today, and a rainy one at that. :frowning:

1 Like

Oh dear, the forecast was wrong and i got wet but that happens (to often when hiking).
Anyway i will try and remember some of what we saw and talked about.

First i had forgotten many words as usual, one question was the name for a teasle in cymraeg.
(Criau’r pannwr gwyllt) yep i said it had a long name.

Strangely one of the first sights was a lot of large snails (Malwen rufeinig).

Elingod - woody nightshade.

There was much discussion about plurals of things including Slugs!. Gwlithod/ gwlithenni which rymes with abergavenny (or it did to us).

Mae’r ysgawen yn dechrau blodau - the Elder is starting to flower.

Why the word for lazy came up i don’t recall but its (diog).

And at times while trying to photograph something the team got well ahead.

now a horse chestnut tree caught pipa’s eye and i was close at remembering it’s name. (Castanwydden y meirch) though her’s was a red variety so probably has goch added yn cymraeg.

Llygad llo mawr - oxe eye daisys . absolutely abundant in some places.

When i got home i removed wet socks and rued the forecast but of course it was my fault for not wearing my better quality boots.

Is there a problem with these outings Yes. days are far to short, if it had been June sunshine insects would have been abundant, it would be easy to spend twice as long doing this route and exploring all nooks and crannies where life exists. But of course it would have been dark by then.
Ho hum, do what we can with time.
Thanks to JW for planning the route (9 miles) and guiding us round it successfully.

There was a suggestion that next time we meet in Goring, i’m happy to sit on the river bank and watch for what goes by (it’s real pretty there).

Cheers J.P.

Following up JohnP’s post, starting from Goring was indeed the suggestion for the next ramble. There’s this circular route of 8.5 miles which looks quite good which starts from Goring and, in part, follows The Ridgeway (see below).

The weekend 4th-5th July seemed to be OK for everyone, so shall we say Saturday 4th? By train from Oxford or elsewhere, Goring & Streatley Station is convenient (on the main line between Reading and Didcot Junction) and, as before, we could aim first to meet up somewhere at midday for a bite to eat - I don’t know it, but the Boat House Deli & Cafe looks as if it might be a good spot as it’s on the river and not far from the station. Hwyl, John

1 Like

Looks good to me JW. those downs give the possible sighting of a not to common butterfly, the Adonis blue. (i better look up it’s welsh name).
Cheers J.P.