Oxford SSiW - additional meetups?

Just an idea.
I’m thinking of going to Oxford one day with the idea of seeing ‘snakes head fritillaries’
on the iffley meadow area.
It would be a short (2 mile) walk from the railway station on the Thames path.
I don’t know Oxford very well but it looks like i can wander down the path then
cross river at the Donnington bridge to reach the site.
So if others would like to join me we could call it an extra meetup.

Cheers J.P.

1 Like

Syniad gwych! You can count me in JP - I can usually be fairly flexible over dates although I probably couldn’t make the weekend 23-24 April
Hwyl, John

1 Like

Maybe the 16th then, i will wait to hear what others think.

Britheg - Snake’s head fritillary.

I may go one day in the next week just to find my way around and see it there are any yet.

Cheers J.P.

1 Like

For anyone who might be interested there’s an International Dylan Thomas Day guided walk in Oxford on 14th May (I’m told the guide gives interesting talks/walks - Geoffrey of Monmouth, Gerald of Wales, ‘Beau’ Nash, T. E. Lawrence and others from Cymru who found themselves in Oxford will be mentioned as well as DT).

3 Likes

I saw the forecast and went to Oxford today, the weather was excellent, the Iffley meadows were very wet.
Its raining again now and the forecast is lower temperatures at the weekend.
The walk was very good as well as easy, plenty to see in the future though of course the fritillaries will have gone by then.

Cheers J.P.

Well, I guess there’s always next year for the fritillaries. Maybe we could go on to Iffley Meadow to see what’s emerged since after the visit to the Botanic Garden suggested by @carungo ? Of her suggested dates, 21, 22 May and 25, 26 June seem to be the most feasible

2 Likes

Back now in Rhydychen and time to think about the next crwydro+sgwrs.
We have a spread of dates from @carungo from late May to late June for the suggested visit to the Botanic Garden and tu hwnt.
There’s also the possibility of fitting in a longer crwydro if people are available - maybe Wytham Wood before the bluebells disappear? All suggestions welcome!

1 Like

Please go ahead with any dates you choose and i will do my best to attend, but i am going to be rather busy for a while (really don’t want to miss out on the fun).

Cheers J.P.

1 Like

Helo @carungo - for the Botanic Garden visit, are 21 & 22 May and 25 & 26 June still possible dates for you?
Hwyl, John

Yes, John all are OK still, thanks for reminding me.
Caroline

We have 4 suggested dates (diolch @carungo) for a trip+sgwrs to Oxford Botanic Garden followed by some of Oxford’s green spaces, e.g. Christchurch Meadow, University Parks etc - for those who might not know Oxford, the Botanic Garden is in central Oxford, opposite Magdalen College on the banks of the River Cherwell. The suggested dates are Saturday or Sunday this weekend (21st/22nd May) or Saturday 25th June or Sunday 26th June and all welcome. Let me know which date/dates are good for you if you’re thinking of coming along.
Hwyl, John

1 Like

Stop press, sorry, this Sat 21st is now no good.
hwyl,
Caroline

As it’s now rather late in the day to arrange something for this weekend, let’s pencil in Sat 25th June for our proposed Botanic Garden trip+sgwrs (if it’s raining there’ll be the option of visiting instead e.g. the Natural History or Pitt Rivers Museums in Parks Rd)
Let me know if you’re interested in coming along on Sat 25th June or would like more info (or see http://www.botanic-garden.ox.ac.uk/) - as always all are welcome
Hwyl, John

2 Likes

We already have the trip to Oxford’s Botanic Garden on Sat 25 June but another crwydro+sgwrs in the cefn gwlad might also be possible in June - these are usually on a Saturday, but no reason why it couldn’t be another day if people can make it - suggested dates welcome!

3 Likes

Would it make any difference to people if we made it the 26th, Sun, rather than Sat ? Would now mean I have to come back from N.Wales a day earlier otherwise…. Sorry but I have to compromise with other family members plans.

Sunday might be possible for me but it primarily depends, of course, on what fits in best with other people’s plans (as a reminder, the idea is for a walk+sgwrs and maybe picnic in Oxford Botanic Garden followed by crwydro+sgwrs around Oxford green spaces or if wet visiting instead the Nat History and/or Pitt Rivers museums).

Is there anyone out there who might be interested in coming on Sat 25th June but couldn’t make it for Sun 26th - or who might be interested in coming on the Sunday but couldn’t make it for the Saturday? Let me know if you have a preference for one day rather than the other.
Hwyl, John

1 Like

I’m good for Saturday June 18th (long time since we went round Witham woods and many other places) or Saturday June 25th for the day around Oxford.
Will try to fit in with what ever the majority can do.

Cheers J.P.

1 Like

Thanks, JP. Either (or both) of those Saturdays would be good for me, which would make the majority vote (3 of us, at the moment) for Sat 25th if @carungo could still make it for that day
Hwyl, John

1 Like

I’m sorry I won’t be able to join you. Our house move to Cymru is going ahead on Thursday. I’ll be keeping an eye on this thread & who knows, I might be able to combine a crwydro with a visit back to Oxfordshire before too long. Pippa

2 Likes

Hi Pippa ! Newyddion cyfrous ! Ble rwyt ti’n mynd yng Ngymru ? Mae gynnon ni hen dy yn y Rhinogau, ger Llanbedr, rhwng Barmouth a Harlech. Wyt ti’n mynd rhywle yn agos yma?
Caroline