Oxford walks

OK - that’s fine - see you there (I’d completely forgotten about the water pipe works as well :roll_eyes:)

1 Like

We had a wonderful walk round Abingdon in yesterday’s sunshine. Thank you to Sue for being an exemplary tour guide! We even had an unscheduled lightning tour of the Unicorn Theatre.

3 Likes

I wasn’t expecting the Abbey Buildings to be open, so that was a bonus. Thank you all for coming.
It’s a good thing you didn’t go back via Radley, @johnwilliams_6. The four way traffic lights at the roundabout didn’t seem to be working at all. We waited for ages with a red light, then our bus driver got out, walked to the front of the queue and pointed out to the drivers in front that, since lights in all four directions were permanently on red, they should go with caution. We went. Otherwise we might still have been there. BT have dug up the Radley Road and this will last for several weeks. Then Church Road at the other end of the village has been completely closed for 6 weeks or so, is currently open one-way, and will close again shortly. That’s for work associated with the new houses. Ofnadwy!
Sue

1 Like

Helo bawb - we’ve two walks lined up for the rest of the month on Sunday 19th Sept and Saturday 25th Sept with the latter will be forming part of Cymdeithas Yr Iaith’s Supporting New Welsh Speakers Day/ Diwrnod Cefnogi Siaradwyr Newydd (see: https://forum.saysomethingin.com/t/supporting-new-welsh-speakers-day-25-sept/33156) - details for both walks coming soon! :slightly_smiling_face:
Hwyl a chadw’n saff, John

1 Like

Helo bawb - on Saturday 25th Sept, for Cymdeithas Yr Iaith’s Supporting New Welsh Speakers Day/Diwrnod Cefnogi Siaradwyr Newydd, we’ll be heading to Port Meadow for our walk+sgwrs, meeting up at 12:00 by the Oxford Bull statue opposite the entrance steps Oxford Rail Station. All welcome (incl. families)! :slightly_smiling_face: Get in touch if you have any questions :
geograph-2874239-by-Robin-Sones-1 (photo by Robin Sone)
Details for the earlier walk on Sun 19th coming shortly :slightly_smiling_face:

For the walk this Sunday we’ll be meeting up at 12:00 at Thornhill Park & Ride (next to the A40 from London as it enters Oxford from the south-east) and following footpaths on a circular route to Forest Hill, Beckley and back (route details here: cwshotover2.pdf (184.4 KB)).
All welcome, as always - and do let me know if you have any questions :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Diolch @chris-roberts and @rachaelseculer-faber (not forgetting Caesar :dog:) for an enjoyable walk today.
We have another walk+sgwrs next Saturday 25th Sept as part of Cymdeithas Yr Iaith’s Supporting New Learners Day (https://cymdeithas.cymru/digwyddiadau/diwrnod-cefnogi-siaradwyr-newydd?amp%3Bqid=).

As it says in the poster we’ll be meeting up at 12:00 by the Oxford Bull statue opposite the main entrance to the rail station - all welcome! :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Yes the walk was most enjoyable, thank you both, and Rachael’s eagle eyes even noticed an unexpected bit of Welsh on our way:

4 Likes

Hi all - I was hoping to join you this Saturday, but unfortunately we have Covid in the house and are having to hynan-ynysu :frowning:

Oh, bad luck, Richard - hope none of you get anything more than, at the most, cold-like symptoms

Diolch @Betterlatethan @rachaelseculer-faber Alan Iwi & Richard Williams for a very enjoyable walk+sgwrs to Port Meadow on Saturday - and diolch eto Rachael for the great suggestion of stopping for what turned out to be bite to eat blasus iawn at the riverside Medley Farm pop up cafe

By the way, everyone, if you’re able to complete the October Doodle poll, that’ll be a great help in settling on a date for our next walk. We’ve usually been meeting up at midday for these walks, but if a different time would suit you better, just add a comment when you complete the poll (maybe many of us would prefer a different start time time, but don’t like to say! :slight_smile: )

2 Likes

Yes, thank you all. Especially thanks to @rachaelseculer-faber. That stew in the cafe was amazing.
Sue

Helo bawb - looks like next Saturday 16th Oct and the following Saturday 23rd Oct are going to be the best choices for our next two walks+sgwrs. Routes still to be decided, but I’m thinking that, with autumn colours developing nicely, it would be a good time to have another walk in Wytham Wood. Let me know if you think you might be interested or have alternative suggestions
Hwyl a chadw’n iach
Johh

I’m still up for Sat the 16th. Wytham Wood sounds good.

1 Like

Sorry, I can’t make either. I have promised to go to Henley with Carol on 16th and I have a Sadwrn Siarad on 23rd.
Sue

1 Like

Suggesting meeting up at 12:00 in the Port Meadow car park in Wolvercotefor this Saturday’s (16th Oct) Wytham Wood walk+sgwrs if that’s OK for everyone? (NB Buses available to Wolvercote from Abingdon and Central Oxford)

Linda asks if we might start a little later. Would 1pm be OK for you @chris-roberts @hannah-26 and any others who might be interested?

:watch: UPDATE :watch: : Please note that we’re now planning to meet up for this walk at 1.30pm instead of 12

A good walk+sgwrs yesterday - diolch i @chris-roberts @hannah-26 Linda, Clive & Stephanie :slightly_smiling_face:. Still a bit early for autumn colour, but maybe there’ll be more next Saturday, 23rd Oct, when we have another walk+sgwrs. I’ll post the details later in the week - route suggestions welcome! :slightly_smiling_face:
Hwyl a chadw’n saff
John

1 Like

A diolch i ti hefyd, @johnwilliams_6.

1 Like