Oxford walks

Up till now details about Oxford SSiW weekend walks+sgwrs have been posted on the Oxford additional meetups thread: https://forum.saysomethingin.com/t/oxford-ssiw-additional-meetups/1880/271 but it’s probably a good idea to have a separate thread now.

Some background: walks in town or country provide a good and relaxing opportunity to practise speaking and/or listening and there are always new things cropping up to talk about - either in Cymraeg or Saesneg - and as we walk any gaps in conversation feel quite natural. Walks are usually on a Saturday (but could be any day if there are 2 or 3 people who can make it); they’ll be ‘circular’ walks around 5-6 miles starting from somewhere easily accessible by public transport, and, as always, all are welcome from first language speakers to raw beginners! (see other thread for past walks)

Next walk: we’re thinking about either Sat 8 April or Sat 15 April - route still to be decided. Do get in touch if you think you might be interested or would like to suggest a route inthe area or an alternative date.
Hwyl, John

2 Likes

So far only one walker for Sat 8th April and two for Sat 15th April :disappointed:- perhaps too many are off doing other things (yng Nghymru efallai!:slight_smile:) given that it’s Easter time.
If people are interested in having a walk+sgwrs on different weekend in April - or perhaps even a weekday - please don’t be shy about suggesting an alternative date as there’s no reason why we can’t have a couple of walks in the month if that fits better with people’s commitments.
There’s a post on the ‘additional meetups thread’ with some suggested routes but, as with dates, don’t be shy about asking for more info or suggesting other possibilities!
Hwyl fawr, John

1 Like

Just to confirm that our April walk+sgwrs will be on Sat 15th April. Hopefully there will be fritillaries in flower in Oxford’s meadows so I’m going to suggest we meet up at midday outside Oxford Station (by the bull statue opp. the entrance steps), but if anyone would like to make an alternative suggestion do please let us know.
And, as always, all welcome - newcomers and regulars, locals and visitors, brand new learners and first language speakers! Get in touch if you’d like more info.
Hwyl, John

2 Likes

Noswaith da John.

I have to send my apologies for the walk+sgwrs on 15th. Hedd and I are down in Plymouth visiting my parents.

Have a lovely day.

Helen

1 Like

Diolch Helen - enjoy the trip to Plymouth
Hwyl, John

1 Like

A quick reminder about the Oxford walk+sgwrs on Easter Sat, 15th April, meeting up at midday outside Oxford Station (by the bull statue opp. the entrance steps) - a good opportunity to see fritillaries in flower in Oxford meadows, so do join us if you can - as usual all welcome. Get in touch if you have any queries or would like further info.
Hwyl, John

2 Likes

A final memory jog about tomorrow’s walk+sgwrs (Easter Saturday). Not much sun about accroding to the forecast, but at least it’s likely to be dry. Meet up at midday opp. Oxford Station entrance by the bull statue - newcomers and visitors especially welcome if you can make it (if you think you might not be able to make it by 12:15, say, please let me know before 11:00am tomorrow so we don’t set off without you). Hwyl, John

2 Likes

PS It’s not too early to start thinking about next month’s walk+sgwrs, so please do post any suggestions for dates (usually a Saturday, but could be a Sunday or weekday if people can make it) or for places to go.

1 Like

To help settle on a date for our May walk+sgwrs there’s now a Doodle poll (https://doodle.com/poll/fzevwyua2xdzb8nn - just click the link, enter name/initials and click convenient dates).
If preference for a particular date doesn’t emerge from the poll, I’m going to suggest Sat 6th May as ‘fallback’ date, but at the moment any Saturday is possible so do let me know - via Doodle poll or this thread - if you have a preferred date or dates (Saturday’s the default but a Sunday/weekday walk might be possible, so do say if this might work for you. The starting point and route for the walk, by the way, we can settle on once we know who can join us
Hwyl, John

2 Likes

Helo John!
Diolch am dy ebost yn diweddar!
Apologies for not replying sooner. Unfortunately we have missed the April walks.

I will circulate your post to the Milton Keynes group, but perhaps we could keep in touch with regards to dates and location, etc? I’ve not been on SSiW website for a long time so your email has prompted me back. Am talking more and more Welsh with my bilingual grandson though, now aged 4.5, who is starting to teach me! And he’s teaching me all the Welsh songs he learns in school! It’s brilliant, I am so pleased I started learning when he was born.

Maybe you could let me know the date of the next walk?

Hwyl am y tro,

Cofion cynnes,

Jan

2 Likes

Helo Jan
Good to hear from you again - my turn to apologise now for a delayed reply!
How really nice to be able to enjoy your grandson’s company and practise Welsh with him too!
For the May circular walk I was suggesting Sat 6th, but that date’s getting close and no takers yet, so Sat 20th May looks like it’s going to be a better bet. For the route, there are one or two walks we could take from Islip village (on Oxford-Bicester line) but it depends how accessible by public transport that might be from MK - hopefully we can find a starting point which is easy to get to for everyone who’d like to come.
Hwyl fawr, John

2 Likes

Helo John,
I will share this date with the MK group (20th May). Is there an email address they/I can contact you on rather than having to log onto SSiW? Unfortunately I won’t be able to join you on 20th, but do keep me posted with future dates. I wouldn’t worry too much about public transport. Most of us have our own transport and if necessary could car share.
Hwyl am y tro
Jan

Helo John,
It’s me again! I just had a thought! Were you on a Welsh walking weekend in Snowdonia at Plas Tan y Bwlch in early May 2015? I think we may have met?!
Cofion cynnes,
Jan

Helo Jan
Yes, you’re quite right, I was on that PTyB Welsh walking weekend so we have indeed met!

It does make things a bit easier using the SSiW forum as a ‘one-stop shop’ for arrangements but if people prefer to use email they could contact me using this address: percolin2000-cymraeg@yahoo.co.uk
Cofion cynnes
John

Helo eto John!
Many thanks for your prompt reply:). So, I was right! I think
I sent some photos to you after the weekend. I did enjoy the weekend!

One member of the group is interested for definite, but can only join the walk on the 20th if it is in the morning. What time is it planned for?

Can you send further details. Our group meets tomorrow night, so this might preempt further queries.

Hwyl fawr!

Jan

Helo Jan - yes, you did send some photos - thanks again for those!
The circular walk’s on the 20th’s planned to start at mid-day. I’m afraid. It’s likely to be 4-6 miles long but the route’s going to depend a bit on where people are coming from, so if people are coming from MK it’s likely to be somewhere to the NE of Oxford, e.g. from Islip village or perhaps along the Oxford canal - we’re very open to ideas though
Hwyl, John

Hi John,
Thanks, that’s a shame, but never mind. I will share details with anyone else who is interested. Do let me know when you have dates for future events.
Cofion cynnes
Jan

A quick reminder about the walk scheduled for this Saturday (20th May). The plan is to start at midday by the Trout Inn next to the Thames a short distance from Wolvercote (buses from Oxford and Port Meadow car park) and then head off to walk around Wytham Wood and back via Wytham village (pub and teashop).
Please don’t forget to let me know beforehand if you’re planning to come along!
Hwyl, John

2 Likes

Hi John, i had PM’d you before is saw this map, ignore PM, i will see you at the trout.

Cheers J.P.

1 Like

With this Saturday’s May walk fast approaching, it’s probably not too early to start planning next month’s walk - that’s going to be on Sat 10th June (details to be posted later) and, as usual, all welcome!
Hwyl, John

1 Like