Oxford Welsh learners group

For the Christmas Lunch looks as if Friday 14 Dec or Tuesday 18 Dec are preferred dates, being good for @Betterlatethan @cat-1 RIchard W, Clive and me, with Wednesday 19 Dec as an alternative if needs be (if interested, do any of those dates work for you @RichardBuck @rebecca @Laura_P_87 @s-coates1 @rachaelseculer-faber @mikeellwood ?)
Any favourites or suggestions pawb for where we might go?
Also does 12:00 suit or would a later start work better for people?
Hwyl, John

1 Like

12 is better for me as the school run beckons at three. :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Yes, 12:00 is good.
Sue

1 Like

Hi! Sorry to be late to this … Tuesday 18th would work for me but not the other dates :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Diolch pawb - so it’ll be 12:00 Tuesday 18th for the cinio Nadolig :christmas_tree:- maybe we can siarad am what type of food and where at the meetup today? :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Thanks for organising- I might be able to make time to come along - let me know and and if you need a definite for booking etc.

1 Like

Now that we have a date for cinio Nadolig, for those still in Oxford over the holidays, how about arranging a walk out in the fresh air (:partly_sunny: :cloud_with_snow: :wind_face:) after Xmas (plantos/partners, welcome of course)? :slightly_smiling_face:
For those interested, here’s another Doodle poll to select a suitable date: https://doodle.com/poll/6k4ncer4nef7qiv2
Hwyl, John

1 Like

Two suggestions so far for places to go - the first, Ox Brookes Catering School Training Restaurant, turns out to be fully booked until the New Year :disappointed: . The second suggestion comes from Welsh Mike who’s offered Cafe Bap as a venue:

• As an option, Cafe Bap would love to host. We can source a menu especially if we know numbers and what people will want. We’ll guarantee all of you a table and cerddoriaeth cymraeg!

I’m checking with him though whether he could fit us all in - we have eight so far which could be a tight squeeze! :worried: Also would having it at Cafe Bap in Abingdon Rd (about 200/300 yds the other side of Folly Bridge) make it awkward for people to get there and back in time to do whatever needs doing in the afternoon?

Other suggestions for places to eat still welcome!
Hwyl, John

2 Likes

Whilst it might be a tight squeeze, I think it would be really nice to go there - how special would a Christmas lunch be when you get served in Welsh too?
I wonder what kind of food he has in mind…
:poultry_leg::poultry_leg::poultry_leg:

3 Likes

Yes, it’s certainly a nice idea - let’s see if Mike thinks he can shoehorn us all in! :family_man_woman_girl_boy::family_man_woman_girl_boy::family_man_woman_girl_boy:.

2 Likes

Helo @RichardBuck @rebecca @Laura_P_87 (and anyone else who’ve not yet been to Cafe Bap and are planning to, or would like to join us, for cinio Nadolig on Tues 18th), re Welsh Mike’s offer to host us at Cafe Bap (see earlier post), its location is on this map marked as Deli Cafe. Still waiting to hear from Mike if he can fit the eight of us, but as it’s out of the city centre, I just wanted to check with you that you’d have enough time to get there and back to whatever you need to do in the afternoon…

1 Like

Just received this e-bost from from Mike:

• Yes we could fit in that many. You could park in the pub. We could close the business for 2 hours to accommodate you. Like I say, no pressure but it may work for all! Hwyl, Mike

So looks as if we have a venue if everyone can get there and back to work etc in time - waiting to hear from @RichardBuck @rebecca @Laura_P_87 about this - the pub by the way is on the corner across the road from Cafe Bap

1 Like

Sorry, I thought I’d said a definite Yes in the pub - Yes, my Tuesday morning class will have finished by then, and I don’t have to rush off, either. I’ll be there!

Diolch @RichardBuck !

Can’t wait! :mrs_claus:

Has Mike said what sort of food he can provide? And does he want us to order in advance?
Sue

Not yet (I’ll ask) but, yes, I’d think he might want our orders in advance

Helo pawb - while Mike is coming up with some menu ideas for the 18th, does anyone have specific preferences(:fries:?) / dislikes (:broccoli:?) or allergies (:cold_sweat:?) that you’d like me to tell him about? I know there’ll need to be a vegetarian option/options :slightly_smiling_face:
Hwyl, John

No allergies, and strong dislikes only of certain things like some offal that are unlikely to be relevant, but definite preference for free-range/higher welfare animal products (& happy re paying appropriately for same) if at all possible.

1 Like

No allergies. Not keen on boiled cabbage.
Sue

1 Like