Oxford Welsh learners group

For the next term I think my weekday teaching schedule is basically going to mean that I can’t normally make M-W lunchtimes but could make Th/Fri. At weekends we usually do the main weekly shopping around Cowley Road on Saturday late morning and early afternoon, but don’t have regular Sunday commitments.

1 Like

A quick reminder about tomorrow’s meetup …

… and a reminder about these reminders :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hello I’m very sorry I won’t be able to meet today at RB as I am still having work done on my house! Look forward to meeting you all again after Easter. Pasc Hapus iawn I bawp. Bethan

2 Likes

Dim problem Bethan - hope the work on the house is going OK :slightly_smiling_face:
Hwyl, John

Diolch John. I can’t wait for it all to be finished! Hwyl Bethan

1 Like

And a reminder on the Oxford walks thread:

2 Likes

Helo pawb, - re New term, new schedule?? we can agree any changes later, but for next week it’ll be the usual schedule:

Hwyl, John

I’ll be there tomorrow. Unlikely to be on time (as ever), but I’ll do my best :slight_smile:

1 Like

Sorry, I’m working tomorrow and I shall probably be out walking on Thursday unless it rains hard.
Sue

1 Like

Sorry I can’t make today. ( Spending Bank holiday with my family). Hopefully I will make it to RB on Thursday. Bethan

1 Like

Turns out Cafe Bap’s closed today (despite what they said last Monday :frowning: ) so I’m afraid we’re going to have to cancel

Helo @mouselovinlady - thinking about the possibility of resecheduling our meetups, has it been finalised yet which day of the week you’re going to be having off post-Easter?
Hwyl, John

A quick memory jog for our meetups tonight and tomorrow …

Also, re New term, new schedule??, how do people feel about shifting our Thursday meetup to Fridays? I think that should work for @RichardBuck and @bethan-williams-1 and, at least potentially as well as Thurs, for @Betterlatethan and should be better for @cat-1 (while still maybe leaving open the option for @cat-1 and @mouselovinlady to teach their dogs Welsh of a Thursday lunchtime :slightly_smiling_face:) - @rebecca and @jane-18, how might this work for you? Let me know
Hwyl, John
PS And, of course, there’s also @rachaelseculer-faber’s suggestion of a Sat/Sun a.m. meetup which could work sometimes for @Laura_P_87 - is anyone else up for weekend morning meetups?

Hello John, yes, a Friday may suit both myself and Richard well. Many thanks, Jane

1 Like

Helo pawb - looks as if shifting Thursday meetups to Friday would work quite well, while @cat-1 & @mouselovinlady and anyone else interested could perhaps still meet up on Thurs for a spot of Welsh+dog-walking :dog2: :slightly_smiling_face:. Occasional Sunday a.m. meetups also seem a possibility.

BUT in an email today Welsh Mike has thrown us a bit of a curve ball :frowning: :
We’re thinking of closing Cafe Bap on a Monday for the next few weeks to see how it goes with staffing etc. That means that Monday 29th (this Monday) will be as normal but we may be closed for Monday 6th and subsequent Mondays. We really enjoy hosting y grŵp though and hope that you decide to schedule us in on a Thursday or Friday

So do we move the Monday meetup (which seems to be the best day for @Betterlatethan) to another venue? Or drop Monday altogether and take up Mike’s suggestion (with the size of Cafe Bap meaning 11am would work better than 12 (which could be awkward for @RichardBuck)? Or … ? Over to you @cat-1 @RichardBuck @Betterlatethan @rebecca @rachaelseculer-faber @jane-18 @bethan-williams-1 @mouselovinlady @Laura_P_87 @s-coates1 for your thoughts :slightly_smiling_face:

For next week though we can stick with the current schedule :relieved:, with any changes being made in the following week:

• Monday, 29 April from 11am in Café Bap , Abingdon Rd
  • Wednesday 1 May 8.30pm in James Street Tavern , James St., East Oxford (but best to check first with @s-coates1 on this one)
  • Thursday, 2 May in The Royal Blenheim , St Ebbe’s/Pembroke St from 12 noon

Hwyl, John

Shame about Mondays at the bap. I think it would still be good to support Welsh Mike if we could with a meet up there, depending on who can do what and where.
I’m free to do anytime between 10.30 and 1.30 on Fridays at the moment so I could make Bap for 11.
If that doesn’t suit others then I’m happy to meet elsewhere, but maybe we could do the occasional Bap thing now and then?
:coffee::coffee::coffee:

1 Like

Mondays worked for me after a fashion because I was on the Abingdon Road and handy for the 35 bus. It was always a bit of a worry in case the bus did not come. I would be happy to drop Mondays rather than move to another location where I would have to leave much earlier to be sure of catching a bus back.
Sometimes I am free on Thursdays and sometimes I walk with the Ramblers in the morning. Sometimes I am free on Fridays and sometimes I fill in on the 9:30 to 12:45 shift in the village shop. On the days when I am free then I am likely to be free all day.

So - 11am in the Bap Cafe on Thursday or Friday would suit me, but I can’t come every week. I have been feeling a bit guilty that we might be taking up all the space in Mike’s cafe for too long, but if he is OK with that then it would be good to keep going there. They do a great roasted veg and hummus bap. Are afternoons any good to anybody?

Assuming that we drop Mondays, would Thursdays and Fridays be too much too close together?
Sue

Edited to add: I can come this Monday, but have to leave by 12 and dare not eat a bap before Pilates!

2 Likes

At the moment I don’t teach on Fridays (timetable may, of course, change next term), so Friday is, in fact, the only day I could make 11 o’clock - and Caffi Bap is fine by me.
I’m not likely to make Thursday and Friday, though.

1 Like

Cafe Bap at 11am on Friday is looking promising. :slightly_smiling_face:
Having meetups on consecutive days, i.e. Thus & Fri, could perhaps be quite effective in terms of reinforcing patterns of Welsh, but might make it awkward for some people. Could having the other daytime meetup on Tuesdays or Wednesdays work for some people?

1 Like

PS Another possibility, of course, might be to have our own regular Oxford virtual meetup via Slack :slightly_smiling_face: