Oxford Welsh learners group

PS Another possibility, of course, might be to have our own regular Oxford virtual meetup via Slack :slightly_smiling_face:

I did visit Siaron’s show and tell on Slack a few times before the laptop went on strike and they failed to hear anything at all from me although they could see me. (Microphone was OK and on, Skype was working as well as it ever does.) It could be done, but it’s nicer to meet people in real life if possible.
Sue

2 Likes

Cafe Bap on a Friday would be good for me. I could also meet on a Tuesday or Wednesday. I would prefer to meet people in person rather than a virtual meetup if possible. :blush: Bethan

2 Likes

Looks like Friday in Cafe Bap is the best option - would starting at 10.30 rather than 11 be a problem for anyone?

If we’re going to stick with having a second weekly daytime meetup (are we :question:), I get the feeling that maybe Tuesday or Wednesday would work better, and with a city centre-ish venue (the RB is chef-less, by the way, so no food there now) - any preferences for one rather than the other :question::slightly_smiling_face:

10:30 on Fridays would be all right for me. As I attempted to say today, I have signed up to extra shifts in the shop on most Fridays in May, but I should be able to come from June onwards.
I have a preference for Wednesday rather than Tuesday. Yes to city centre. It would be good to go somewhere where food is available, but where it is reasonably quiet.
Sue

1 Like

Should have added that any time on Tuesday’s OK for me buton Wednesday I could only make 10.30

Also a quick headsup from the Oxford walks thread that our May walk will be this bank holiday weekend or the following weekend, depending on who can make it (partners & plantos welcome, of course - and dogs too :dog2: if no one minds) - let me know if you think you might be interested :slightly_smiling_face:
Hwyl, John

I’m happy for a 10.30 start at the Bap on a Friday too.
My Tues/Wed usually depends on work so I can sometimes be there. but probably not both in one week. If there are no chips to be had at the RB then maybe we should go for the King’s Arms (where I end up by mistake!) or the lovey Turf Tavern? Both serve food, and neither suffer from echoes!

1 Like

I’m afraid I can’t do Friday mornings, but I’ve been hoping to fit a lunchtime scwrs into my week, so either Tuesday or Wednesday would work, if we’re fairly central (either of the pubs Cat suggests would work for example).

1 Like

A quick reminder about tomorrow’s meetup …

… and a ‘WATCH THIS SPACE’ :face_with_monocle: for our revised schedule which will start next week :slightly_smiling_face:

So… @cat-1 @RichardBuck @Betterlatethan @rebecca @rachaelseculer-faber @jane-18 @bethan-williams-1 @mouselovinlady @Laura_P_87 @s-coates1 from next week onwards our daytime meetups will be on Wednesdays in The King’s Arms, Holywell St and on Fridays in Café Bap in Abingdon Road in each case starting at 10:30am. Do get in touch though if you have any questions/comments, either here on the forum or via PM.

Hwyl, John
PS @s-coates1 any changes to the meetup on Wed evenings?

1 Like

@Deborah-SSi - it seems I can’t tag more than 10 people at a time so for the newsletter I’m tagging you separately about the changes to the Oxford group meetup days/times
Diolch yn fawr, John

1 Like

Thanks John. Not yet sure if I will be able to come along to a morning meetup, but I’ll see how it goes!

1 Like

This week coming we start our new meetup schedule

• Wednesday morning, 8 May from 10:30am in the King’s Arms, Holywell Street
  • Wednesday evening 8 May 8.30pm in James Street Tavern , James St., East Oxford (but best to check first with @s-coates1 on this one)
  • Friday morning, 10 May from 10:30am in Café Bap, Abingdon Rd

I’m tagging everyone just to make sure - no need to respond if you’ve already posted about the changes: @cat-1 @RichardBuck @Betterlatethan @rebecca @rachaelseculer-faber @jane-18 @bethan-williams-1 @mouselovinlady @Laura_P_87 @s-coates1

Hope you can make it to one (or more!) of these - and, as always, new faces welcome! :slightly_smiling_face:

Any questions, comments or suggestions, do let me know via the forum or a PM (if you prefer email, let me know and I’ll PM you the address)

Hwyl, John

Helo @cat-1 @RichardBuck @Betterlatethan @rebecca @rachaelseculer-faber @jane-18 @bethan-williams-1 @mouselovinlady @Laura_P_87 @s-coates1 !
With summer on the way, maybe a good time to brush off some suggestions from last year for other activities which could provide the space for us to practise a bit of Welsh in a relaxed environment and which, if they wish, would also allow partners, kids and maybe dogs to join us:

• Some pub lunches
  • A few picnics in the summer - @cat-1 suggested one at a polo match in Kirtlington - don’t have to watch the match if you don’t want to :slight_smile:
  • River trip - Folly Bridge-Abingdon
  • Meetup with another SSiW group (Milton Keynes, Coventry, Bristol etc ?), maybe somewhere midway
  • Visit to an Oxford museum or Colleges etc, etc (Ros Temple hsa kindly offered to give us a tour of New College in Welsh during the summer vacation)
  • A central Oxford walk - Botanic Gardens, University Parks, Christchurch Meadow etc - could perhaps invite members of Cymdeithas Dafydd ap Gwylim to join us
  • A trip round Oxford on the hop-on hop-off open top bus

Further suggestions welcome :slightly_smiling_face:

Also, don’t forget we have an invitation to Prof Bob Evans’ garden party in Sunningwell, nr Abingdon, on Sat 8 June from 1200 (children welcome and there’s a supply of toys and games if needed).

Hwyl, John

Thanks for the updates John. I’m in Oxford most Friday mornings but not free til after 11, how long do the Bap meetings usually last?

2 Likes

Helo Meg - we’re generally there for around 1-2 hours and we don’t have a cut off time, so, really, we’re there as long we want. Hope you can make it :slightly_smiling_face:
Hwyl, John

A quick memory jog that there’ll be the first of our Wednesday morning meetups tomorrow from 10:30 in The King’s Arms, Holywell St. and that the second of the week’s daytime meetups is no longer on Thursdays but is now on Fridays from 10:30 in Cafe Bap.
Hwyl, John**
PS Don’t forget there’ll be a walk on Sun 12th - see Oxford walks for details

… and another quick reminder about the first of our weekly Friday meetups, from 1030am tomorrow in Cafe Bap, Abingdon Rd

And typically, just as I’m brushing up my Cymraeg with glee, an emergency at work comes up and my Friday morning disappears, just like that. :roll_eyes:
Have fun, you lot. I’ll be there next week…
:slightly_smiling_face:

O bechod - what rotten luck, Cat! :disappointed: Tan wythnos nesa, 'ta :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like