Oxford Welsh learners group

Helo pawb - just to confirm that this week’s meetups are following the new regular Tuesday/Friday lunchtimes pattern:

• 12:00 Tuesday 10th November
  • 12:00 Friday 13th November

Let me know if you should need the login details

Hwyl a chadw’n iach
John

Hi all

Just a quick post to say that as I mentioned in the sgwrs today I did decide that, given the Eisteddfod theme of Mewn Byd Rhyfedd I could plausibly shoehorn some of this summer’s more salient events into that category for the prose composition.

Obviously that means that for those who already know the story, any chosen ffugenw is quite pointless, so I did consider saying “please just don’t vote for it,” but perhaps that doesn’t make sense. However, the point of writing it was to try to express what happened and to take advantage of the ffugenwau to do so relatively anonymously: I would probably be gutted to write something so personal and have it get no votes - but were it to win I’d strongly suspect a sympathy vote for the circumstances, rather than any real credit on what was written.

So in the end I’m going with “vote for it or not, entirely as you see fit” - but please, please don’t feel any compulsion to do so if there’s something else you think better. I’m personally going to try to completely ignore the whole thing now it’s submitted, and remain anonymous even if it should win.

And if anybody has submitted anything else - good luck, and I’ll be reading & voting in the other categories :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I shall look forward to reading it. I hope I have improved enough to give me a chance to guess which might be yours.

Sadly work has got in the way for me this time so unless I can do something in the next 24 hours I will just be spectating this year.

2 Likes

Interesting article in BBC Cymru Fyw about @mohinigupta, who is apparently now based in Oxford. So - Diwali llawen, Mohini, and if you fancy joining us on Zoom @johnwilliams_6 can send you details :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Oh lovely to see that there is a group here! Would love to join the Zoom sessions when possible, do share details please :slight_smile: Diwali Hapus, bawb!

5 Likes

Lovely to hear from you @mohinigupta :slightly_smiling_face: - I’ll send you the details you need shortly. Diwali hapus!

Wwps - Meant to link to the article:

2 Likes

Helo bawb - it’s the now usual pattern for this week’s Zoom meetups:

• 12:00 Tuesday 17th November
  • 12:00 Friday 20th November

These usually last for an hour to an hour and a half, but there’s no fixed duration so we carry on as long as there’s someone who’d like a sgwrs/chat. Also, no problem if there’s some English in the mix or if you’d prefer to hang back and just listen for now. :slightly_smiling_face:
Get in touch if you need the login details or have any questions

Hwyl a chadw’n saff
PS Finally realised there’s a treiglad meddal after Helo :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

Hi @johnwilliams_6 Just a note to say that I’d like the login details if possible. I think my Welsh level is too minimal at present to contribute much of interest particularly via Zoom (I’ve just finished Level One) - but no doubt it’ll improve over time.

I see from previous posts you occasionally walk at Wytham. I’m one of the researchers there, I run the Japanese kilns and the studio. If you’re planning a group walk I’d love to join you all, if timings permit.

3 Likes

It will be lovely to see you on zoom @robinwilson I started around the same level as you last year. I spoke a lot of Wenglish (still do!) but the group are lovely and very patient.

A walk in Wytham sounds lovely. Still not made it there myself yet - here’s hoping for next year…

1 Like

Hi @robinwilson - good to hear from you! I’m sending you a PM (personal message) now with the login details and we’ll look forward to seeing you on Zoom when you can make it, and hopefully on a walk in Wytham Woods in the not too distant future
Hwyl, John.

Brilliant, thanks @ruth-connor and @johnwilliams_6, looking forward to it.

Helo bawb - two more meetups via Zoom for this last week (maybe … :slightly_frowning_face: ) of amser clo /lockdown

• 12:00 Tuesday 24th November
  • 12:00 Friday 27th November

Do get in touch if you’d like to join us and I’ll send you the login details
Hwyl a chadw’n iach
John

Helo bawb - our first mis Rhagfyr / December Zoom meetups this week:

• 12:00 Tuesday 1st December (plus three Welsh anniversaries :slightly_smiling_face: - see PS )
  • 12:00 Friday 4th December

Get in touch for login details if you’d like to join us or if you have any questions - all welcome, whether new beginner or fluent speaker :slightly_smiling_face:
Hwyl a chadw’n saff
John

Helo bawb - it’ll be the usual pattern for our Zoom meetups this week:

Newcomers welcome :slightly_smiling_face: Do please get in touch if you’d like login details for our Zoom meetups or have any other questions
Hwyl a chadw’n iach
John

Helo eto - no Welsh anniversaries for Tuesday and Friday this week (unless anyone can suggest one :slightly_smiling_face:), but we’ll still be having our meetups via Zoom:

• 12:00 Tuesday 15th December
  • 12:00 Friday 18th December

Do get in touch if you need the Zoom login details or would like to know more. Newcomers always welcome! :slightly_smiling_face:
Hwyl,
John

Just to say I might be a few minutes late for today’s meetup as I have an appointment … :slightly_smiling_face:

:bangbang: For 2 weeks only :bangbang:

Next week our Zoom meetup days will be different

• 12:00 Monday 21st December
  • 12:00 Thursday 24th December…

… and also for the week after Christmas

• 12:00 Monday 28th December
  • 12:00 Thursday 31st December

Contact me for login details or if you have any questions. Hope you can join us.:slightly_smiling_face:

Hwyl a chadw’n iach
John

Helo bawb - do hope you’ve all been having a good Christmas / Nadolig (even if, under the circumstances, somewhat different from usual) :slightly_smiling_face:
Just a quick reminder that we have our next Zoom meetup tomorrow, Monday, lunchtime

Hwyl a chadw’n saff
John

A quick memory jog that tomorrow, Nos Galan / New Year’s Eve, we have our last Zoom meetup of 2020, from midday onwards :slightly_smiling_face:

Hwyl a chadw’n iach
John