Oxford Welsh learners group

I’m sorry I won’t be able to make today’s zoom meetings after all, look forward to seeing you all on Sunday in Radley for walk! Bethan

1 Like

Helo pawb - we’ll be following usual pattern for this week’s Zoom meetups:

• 10:30am Wednesday 16th September (celebrate Owen Glyndŵr Day via Zoom!)
  • 12:00 Friday 18th September (anniversary of successful 2nd Welsh devolution referendum, 1997)

Let me know if you need login details. As always, newcomers welcome!
Hwyl,
John
PS Evening Zoom meetups may be possible on an ad hoc basis - get in touch if you think this might help you to join us

1 Like

Helo pawb - same as usual times/days for this week’s Zoom meetups:

• 10:30am Wednesday 23rd September
  • 12:00 Friday 25th September

If you need login details or an other questions do get in touch
Hwyl a chadw’n saff ,

1 Like

Helo pawb - as we edge into mis Hydref/October (and, confusingly, also Hydref/Autumn) here’s the schedule for this week’s Zoom meetups:

• 10:30am Wednesday 30th September (Diwrnod Waldo, remembering the poet Waldo Williams - see also Wikipedia)
  • 12:00 Friday 2nd October

Let me know if you need login details or have any questions. Newcomers welcome, as always :slightly_smiling_face:
Hwyl a chadw’n iach,
John

Helo pawb - same pattern as usual for this week’s meetups Zoom (if you’re a newbie and would like to join us, do let me know and I’ll send you the login details, likewise if you have any questions or concerns about using Zoom :slightly_smiling_face:);

• 10:30am Wednesday 7th October
  • 12:00 Friday 9th October

Hwyl a chadw’n saff,
John

Date for your diary: the Cymdeithas Dafydd ap Gwilym (Oxford University’s Welsh society) are advertising the Welsh carol service at Jesus College for 5 p.m. on Monday 30 November. Where it will take place - in the chapel or on screen - is very much To Be Confirmed!

4 Likes

Helo pawb - it’s Wythnos Dathlu Dysgu Cymraeg this week so, if you haven’t already, why not join us for one of our meetups via Zoom this week.:slightly_smiling_face: Even if you don’t yet feel confident enough to join in the sgwrs you’d be very welcome to just listen, or ask questions in English if you have any - for the login details just send me a PM (Personal Message) :slightly_smiling_face:

• 10:30am Wednesday 14th October
  • 12:00 Friday 16th October

Hwyl a chadw’n iach
John

2 Likes

I’ve been enjoying the series “Am Dro” on S4C - people chatting in Welsh while walking through some spectacular scenery. And a fair amount of niwl a glaw!

1 Like

I’ve recorded Am Dro but this encourages me now to actually watch it! :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Am Dro is great. Naturally they mix people with very different ideas about walks and picnics in order to make better TV. Very interesting.
Sue

1 Like

I am learning welsh …level 1 challenge 21. Does the Oxford group still meet. ? I would like to find people to practice Welsh !

2 Likes

Yes, we do, twice a week via Zoom. :slightly_smiling_face: At the moment it’s from 1030am on Wednesdays and from 12noon on Fridays, although we may be changing the Wed meetup to Tuesday lunchtime. Let me know if you’d like to join a Zoom meetup and I’ll send you the login details via PM.
We’ve also had some walks in Port Meadow, Wytham Wood, and Radley over the last couple of months providing a chance for us to practise some (socially-distanced :slightly_smiling_face:) Welsh
Hwyl, John

Helo pawb - it’ll be the usual schedule for this week’s Zoom meetups (there may be a change for the following week)

• 10:30am Wednesday 21st October
  • 12:00 Friday 23rd October

Do let me know if you need the login details
Hwyl a chadw’n iach,
John

I have been inspired so started watching this in my lunch break today. Cheated a bit with English subtitles. It’s good.The narrator is the same as Cariad@iaith and he’s great.

2 Likes

I have definitely also been cheating with subtitles! Yes the narrator is amusingly dry and sarcastic at times…

2 Likes

Sorry, pawb - it looks as if I won’t be able to make tomorrow’s meetup due to choir practice (this time,
‘mask-to-mask’ but socially distanced in a barn somewhere near Bicester!)

He’s Aled Sam(uel) and he’s presented a number of other interesting programmes on S4C, e.g. travel, traditional Welsh houses, another on interesting modern homes and their design, and he also writes a whimsical column each week in Golwg

1 Like

I hope the choir goes well, @johnwilliams_6.

I shall be around at 10:30 if anyone cares to join me.
Sue

Helo pawb - we’ve decided now to start the new schedule from this week, so the first of each week’s meetups will now be on Tuesday lunchtimes:

• 12:00 Tuesday 27th October
  • 12:00 Friday 30th October

Do let me know though if this should make joining our meetups awkward for you :slightly_smiling_face:
Hwyl, John

Sorry I missed everyone this week - I didn’t get my act together in time on Tue and today we gad a plumber in doing an expensive repair to our boiler! Lwc gwell y wythnos nesa, dwi’n gobeithio!

3 Likes

Helo pawb - as it seemed to work quite well last week, we’re going to be be sticking to Tuesdays and Fridays for our Zoom meetups for the time being:

• 12:00 Tuesday 3rd November
  • 12:00 Friday6th November

Do get in touch if you’d like to join us (or have any questions) and I’ll forward the details you need to connect via Zoom
Hwyl a chadw’n saff
John