Oxford Welsh learners group

Sorry to hear that you’re ill, @Betterlatethan and @cat-1 :nauseated_face: Hope you both feel better very soon.

@johnwilliams_6 and @mikeellwood I’ll see you in the Ashmolean at 10!

2 Likes

Sorry to hear that Sue.
Brysia gwella! (heard that recently on Rownd a Rownd… :slight_smile: ).

Oh dear, you too, @cat-1. Brysia gwella!
(Thanks for that expression, @mikeellwood. It’s a good one.)
Sue

1 Like

Thank you all for holding off on the plague season until I was safely away from Oxford…:wink:

7 Likes

A quick reminder that we’ll be having another meetup in the MOMA cafe from 12 noon tomorrow (Friday 13th) - as always, all welcome!
@cat-1 @Betterlatethan hope you’re both already feeling a lot better now and can join us tomorrow.
Hwyl, John

3 Likes

I sound a bit rubbish (more than usual, I mean) but take no notice! I’m coming! :grin:

3 Likes

Maybe. It depends on how long the electrician is here. I sound rubbish too.
Sue

2 Likes

Diolch am yr awggrym am rhaglen S4C “Ar Lafar”. Dw i newydd wilio hi a mae’n gwych iawn.

Many thanks (Cat and John?) for the tip about “Ar Lafar”. Just watched it, and it’s really good.
(Ifor ap Glyn seems to pop up everywhere! (and seems to be an all-round good guy, I reckon).

Diolch hefyd am y sgwrs wych heddiw pawb. :slight_smile:

Cerddwch yn iawn yfory. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Good wannit, wa? :grin:
Braf i gwrdd i ti Mike!

2 Likes

Just to confirm that we’ll be having (at least?:slight_smile:) two meetups this week:

• Tues 17th Oct from 10:00 in the Ashmolean Museum Lower Ground Floor Cafe

• Fri 20th Oct from 12:00 in the MOMA museum cafe, Pembroke St

All welcome! Hwyl, John

PS If anyone’s hoping Wednesday meetups as well, do post a message

3 Likes

I am on a retirement group outing on Tuesday - to the Ashmolean! I might manage the first 15 min before I need to join the group. I am hoping to make it on Friday.
Sue

3 Likes

I’m afraid I won’t make today’s Ashmolean meet up - delayed by car problems :frowning: And since we’re off to Wales Friday-Tuesday, I’ll next see you all on Friday next week! Let me hereby pledge not to be a scaredy cat and to attempt at least one Welsh convo with a stranger while I’m in Wales …

3 Likes

Wondered where you were - blooming cars!
Sending you brave vibes for wild conversations! Pob lwc (although does dim eisiau lwc arnat ti, yn wyr!).
I won’t be there next week as half term craziness beckons, so trying to get to both this week.
:spaghetti: (this might have started as a spaghetti emoji, but actually it’s my brain after two sessions siarading in one week). :grin:

2 Likes

Oh, bad luck! - hope all will be well with the car for the trip to Wales. [quote=“cat-1, post:414, topic:675”]
Pob lwc (although does dim eisiau lwc arnat ti, yn wyr!).
[/quote]

Yn hollol! :slight_smile:

Diolch both! And, doh, i forgot about it being half term next week so I won’t be there on Friday either :frowning:

Thanks for the pob lwc … I keep thinking about Roz’s comment about Pembs Welsh being different and wishing I’d asked her what she meant! Though I did understand that mum in a soft play centre giving her little boy a Welsh telling off for getting into stuff …

1 Like

I’m thinking if turns out to be very different, they must be quite accustomed to Welsh-speakers from other parts of the country not quite understanding them the first time, and maybe be quite used to being asked to say it again, so a good opportunity to use some ‘geiriau dianc:slight_smile:

I’ll send you Ros’ email via PM so you can ask her if you like - I’m sure she wouldn’t mind

2 Likes

Pob lwc from me too, @rebecca. I would be fascinated to know about Pembrokeshire Welsh - spoken by my Mum’s cousins, but not to us. The chances we missed!
Sue

2 Likes

Hi @rebecca - had a sudden thought that there might be something useful on this in Dweud Eich Dweud: A Guide To Colloquial And Idiomatic Welsh, and there was:

3 Likes

Some of those are really familiar! A mixture of things from what I’ve heard (on PYC and from listening to people speak in N Pembs/S Ceredigion), and some bits of the South lessons in there too. :relaxed:

2 Likes

Thank you @johnwilliams_6! And also for Roz’s email address. I might have known you’d have info about this somewhere in your vast llyfrgell :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Looking at this list, it seems very similar to @Iestyn’s pronunciation in the lessons/challenges, though I think he mentioned being from the south east.

2 Likes