Oxford Welsh learners group

Thanks to all for the interesting conversation yesterday, a diolch i Richard am y coffi. I hope I didn’t come across as too argumentative about do/naddo. I’m not sure I’ll ever fully get the hang of the intricacies of yes and no in Welsh! :thinking:

Croeso!

Not in the least…

…which is why I’m a fan of do/naddo :slight_smile:

1 Like

Arguments about do/naddo are a perpetual delight. As you noticed, I become speechless when required to say yes or no. Long ago I once asked my mother how you say yes and no in Welsh. She suddenly became much too busy to answer.

Sue

1 Like

Is anyone else going to be at Cafe Bap tomorrow?
Sue

I am planning on being there, but I may have to wait in for a delivery, unfortunately.

Not sure yet whether I’ll be able to make it, but I’ll confirm one way or another tomorrow morning

Sorry, I’m not going to be able to make it today - got some sort of bug and was hoping it might have cleared by up this morning, but seems not :disappointed:

Brysia wella!

1 Like

Gobeithio y byddi di’n well yn fuan, @johnwilliams_6.
Wnes i ddarllen llyfr yn y caffi am hanner awr. 'S dim ots, ces i’r cyfle i fynd i M&S i brynu sanau. Mae’n ddrwg 'da fi os rhywun wedi dod yn hwyrach ar ol i fi fynd.

I hope you’ll be better soon, John.
I read a book in the cafe for half an hour. It’s OK, I got the chance to go to M&S to buy socks. I’m sorry if someone came later after I went.
Sue

1 Like

I did – but don’t be sorry: it’s my fault and I’m sorry I missed you. (I was just about to leave when I had to write a long reply on the forum about grammar, and that delayed me…:slight_smile: )

1 Like

What better way to start July than coming along to a meetup! :slightly_smiling_face: This week it’ll be:

• Wednesday morning, 3 July from 10:30am in the King’s Arms, Holywell Street
  • Wednesday evening 3 July 8.30pm in James Street Tavern , James St., East Oxford (check first with @s-coates1)
  • Friday morning, 5 July from 10:30am in Café Bap, Abingdon Rd

Hwyl, John
PS Iawn rŵan - diolch @RichardBuck @Betterlatethan am y negeseuon gwella :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Sorry everyone, I can’t make it to the King’s Arms today. I’ve got a nasty cold.
Sue

Oh, bad luck Sue - hope you’re feeling better soon

Thanks, @johnwilliams_6
I’m still coughing and sneezing so I shall not be there on Friday. I have a meeting on Wednesday 10th so I can’t come then either. Hoping for Friday 12th.
Sue

Get well soon, Sue, and see you on Fri 12th, croesi bysedd :slightly_smiling_face:

I’ll be there in Café Bap tomorrow and maybe Clive, now he’s back from France - who else is thinking of going?
Hwyl, John

I’m expecting to be there, too.

1 Like

Helo Oxford folk (i.e. @cat-1 @RichardBuck @Betterlatethan @rebecca @rachaelseculer-faber @jane-18 @bethan-williams-1 @mouselovinlady @Laura_P_87 @chris-roberts, anyone else I might have inadvertently omitted and any potential newcomers)!
Our current meetup days/times/venues might not work very well for some of you, so if you’d like to come along but the current schedule doesn’t suit or if you’d prefer a different format, do please do let me know either via this thread or by personal message (PM) - don’t be shy! :slightly_smiling_face: Happy to make adjustments so that as many as possible have the chance to practise some Cymraeg (If you’d prefer to email me or phone, do say and I’ll send you a PM, i.e. personal message, with my contact details)

Also, with the approaching school holidays potentially making it difficult for those of you with kids - what about a parents+kids meetup somewhere where the kids can enjoy themselves while you get the chance to practice a bit of Cymraeg? Do post a message to let others know if that appeals. :slightly_smiling_face:

Hwyl, John

Helo, I’m just back from lovely holiday. Very sorry you are not well Sue, hope you will be better soon. I’m hoping to make it to King’s Arms on Wednesday 10th and also to cafe Bap on Friday. Looking forward to seeing you all. Hwyl Bethan

1 Like

Just to confirm this week’s meetups - hope to see you there :slightly_smiling_face:

• Wednesday morning, 10 July from 10:30am in the King’s Arms, Holywell Street
  • Wednesday evening 10 July 8.30pm in James Street Tavern , James St., East Oxford (check first with @s-coates1)
  • Friday morning, 12 July from 10:30am in Café Bap, Abingdon Rd

Hwyl, John
PS If …

… see my post of 3 days ago :slightly_smiling_face:

I’ve been doing the course for a few weeks and still very much a beginner, but I should be in town on Friday, so hoping to drop by Café Bap and try to remember a few words!

3 Likes