Oxford Welsh learners group

Another vote for the Turf.

1 Like

Iā€™d probably eat now & then if food was available but am not too bothered in general. Happy to try the Turf or the Blenheim.

1 Like

Diolch pawb for all your thoughts on alternative Friday venues - shall we try out The Turf and The Royal Blenheim and then make up our minds, starting with The Turf this week with the RB next week :slightly_smiling_face: So for this week itā€™ll be:

• Wednesday morning, 2 Oct from 10:30am in CafĆ© Bap, Abingdon Rd
  • Friday morning, 4 Oct from 12:00 in the The Turf Tavern, 4-5 Bath Place, off Holywell Street - hereā€™s a map in case youā€™re not sure where it is :slightly_smiling_face:

Hwyl, John

2 Likes

Excellent plan! Thank you @johnwilliams_6. We try them both. I love the map. I like to go in by St Helenā€™s Passage because it looks so unlikely. I shall be there on Friday.
I hope to be at Cafe Bap on Wednesday, but it looks as if I shall be late because of shop-related IT issues. I donā€™t know how late.
Sue

1 Like

I hope to be at the Turf on Friday.

1 Like

@johnwilliams_6 Shwmae John! If you wouldnā€™t mind tagging me when the group is making any changes so I can note those in the newsletter, that would be great - diolch :slight_smile:

1 Like

Will do @Deborah-SSi - just trying out a couple of new venues over this week and next before settling on a longer-term choice :slightly_smiling_face:
Hwyl, John

1 Like

Hello SSI Welsh Forumā€“I am a sleeper agent here and not an Oxford Welsh learner (although I did work for Plaid Cymru and took a year of Welshā€¦). I have a student group going to North Wales this term and I had lined up a lovely young lady to speak with them tomorrow Wednesday October 2 at 4 PM about Welsh Language. She is unfortunately in hospital and has needed to cancel, so I am desperately looking for an alternative, as I believe the students (all undergraduate university age) get so much more out of the trip when they know bit more about the language and how important it is to Welsh national identity and history If you happen to know anyone who is free tomorrow and might be able to have a chat with the students I would be most grateful. The time is paid, and we have some materials already so it should not be a horrible hardship. Iā€™m on 07850 079040 or solywoda@stanford.edu

2 Likes

Helo @stephaniesolywoda - Iā€™ve emailed and left a voicemail. Hopefully we can come up with someone to do this for you
Hwyl, John

1 Like

Hi @stephaniesolywoda. I could possibly do this if no one else can. Iā€™m far from being an expert but Iā€™m happy to share what I know. Iā€™d have to come straight from work so I wouldnā€™t have much time to prepare anything. Chris.
christophermarkroberts@hotmail.com

1 Like

Hi @chris-roberts - I told Stephanie as well that Iā€™d do it if no one else can :slightly_smiling_face: She has some slides already prepared which sheā€™s sending me. If youā€™d like to do it, though, Iā€™m happy to stand aside
Hwyl, John

1 Like

Thatā€™s fine John please go ahead! I just thought itā€™d be a shame if no one was able to do itā€¦

1 Like

Yes, thatā€™s what I thought as well :slightly_smiling_face:

this is what I thought as well. :slight_smile: I came to the UK to work as a Russian language researcher and got assigned byt he government to work in Wales and it was AMAZING for me, so I really want the students to know this magical place too. But, right now circumstances are conspiring! the weather! etc. So Im trying to keep calm and carry on. Thank you both for being so kind!

2 Likes

Helo pawb, - donā€™t forget that weā€™ll be in the Turf Tavern for our midday meetup tomorrow (Fri 4 Oct)! :slightly_smiling_face:
Hwyl, John

1 Like

Hello @johnwilliams_6 all being well I will be with you tomorrow :slightly_smiling_face:
Ruth

1 Like

Gwych!

Iā€™m aiming to join you today, too!

1 Like

Excellent! :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Thank you, everyone, for a warm welcome, especially John who was there when I arrived and helped me put together something I could definitely call a conversation! Really impressed that there were seven of us.

3 Likes