Oxford Welsh learners group

Sorry all, wont be there today. :cry: stuck attempting to balance unbalanceable budgets!
Hope you all have a great sgwrs.

1 Like

Oh bad luck, Ruth - hope you manage to sort out the problem(s) soon :slightly_smiling_face:
Hwyl, John

Lovely to see everyone in the Royal Blenheim today. Advance notice of another Welsh event in Jesus College:

St Davidā€™s Day Evensong
The Annual Welsh Evensong for St Davidā€™s Day will this year be held in Chapel on Friday 28th February at 5.30pm, when the preacher (in English) will be Professor Ceri Davies, Jesus alumnus and notable student of Welsh renaissance scholarship, and biographer of John Davies, also a Jesus alumnus, whose Welsh Bible was published in 1620.

(Sadly I donā€™t think I can make it this year, but you will all be most welcome. Traditionally the sermon is given in English and the services and singing are all in Welsh.)

2 Likes

Diolch yn fawr, Owen!

No surprises about this weekā€™s meetups :slightly_smiling_face:

• Wednesday morning, 22 Jan from 10:30am in CafĆ© Bap, Abingdon Rd
  • Friday morning, 24 Jan from 12:00 in the The Royal Blenheim, corner St Ebbes/Pembroke St

Hwyl, John

1 Like

Sorry, I canā€™t come on Wednesday. Iā€™m not sure about Friday. My daughter is arriving some time that day, but Iā€™m not yet sure at what time.
Sue

2 Likes

If anyoneā€™s up for a double dose of celebrating Dydd Gŵyl Dewi/St Davidā€™s Day, as well as Jesus College Chapel on Fri 28th thereā€™ll also be the rare opportunity to do this on Sat 29th Feb at the Oxford Welsh Male Voice Choir concert in the University Church on the High St at 7.30pm: https://oxfordwelshmvc.org.uk/2020photos/st%20dave%20poster.pdf

Would anybody know of a local celebration on the day itself, i.e. Sun 1st March? If not, how about coming up with some sort of celebration of our own? :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Iā€™m sorry I wonā€™t be able to make it to RB today. Hope to be at cafe Bap next Wednesday. Enjoy yourselves! Hwyl Bethan

1 Like

Same pattern as always for next weekā€™s meetups :slightly_smiling_face:

• Wednesday morning, 29 Jan from 10:30am in CafĆ© Bap, Abingdon Rd
  • Friday morning, 31 Jan from 12:00 in the The Royal Blenheim, corner St Ebbes/Pembroke St

Hwyl, John

2 Likes

I shall not make it today. A virus is lingering. I hope to be better by Friday.
Sue

Oh, bad luck, Sue - hope youā€™ll be feeling much better soon :slightly_smiling_face:

Take care Sue! We missed you today. Hope you feel better soon. Bethan

Sorry to hear youā€™re not well Sue. Hello from Ffrainc everyone. I hope to be at the Cafe Bap next week.

Iā€™m hoping to make it to RB tomorrow! Look forward to seeing everyone. Hwyl Bethan

3 Likes

Iā€™m new and Iā€™ve just started SSiW but I hope to be at the St Davidā€™s Evensong at Jesus College. Iā€™m sure I wonā€™t understand a word but Iā€™m sure itā€™ll be fun. :grinning:

4 Likes

Brilliant! Weā€™ll hope to see you there, then. Do you think you may be able to make any of our regular meetups? :slightly_smiling_face:
Hwyl, John

I hope soā€¦ busy next week by possibly the following weekšŸ˜€

3 Likes

:writing_hand: Date for the diary: To celebrate Dydd Gŵyl Dewi /St Davidā€™s Day, Sunday 1st March, weā€™ve settled on a family lunch in a child-friendly pub with a garden or, even better, a childrenā€™s play area. Also, depending on weather/ground conditions, some of us may go on a walk+sgwrs either before or after lunch, so somewhere with pleasant walking close at hand would be preferable - suggestions please! :slightly_smiling_face:
Hwyl, John

1 Like

No surprises about this weekā€™s meetups:

• Wednesday morning, 5 Feb from 10:30am in CafĆ© Bap, Abingdon Rd
  • Friday morning, 7 Feb from 12:00 in the The Royal Blenheim, corner St Ebbes/Pembroke St (still only pork pies and crisps to eat, but the coffee :coffee: machine is working again! :slightly_smiling_face:)

Hwyl, John

1 Like

@cat-1 suggests the Ben Jonson pub, Weston-on-the-Green (veggie, vegan, gluten-free options and childrenā€™s play area) as a possible venue for Dydd Gŵyl Dewi /St Davidā€™s Day lunch. What do you think? Transport from central Oxford could be arranged if needed. :slightly_smiling_face:
Thatā€™s one good possibiliity, but further suggestions welcome!
Hwyl, John
PS Quick reminder about tomorrowā€™s 10:30am Cafe Bap meetup :slightly_smiling_face: