Plygain 2017/18

It is coming to that time of year again. Could someone create a diary/calendar of some sort so that plygain services can be put in? I can kick it off with 1st Dec St Silin Church 7:30pm Llansilin, Powys (nr Oswestry) but there are quite a few locally and I will post the time and dates when I know.

2 Likes

10th December Hirnant Community Centre (St Illogs) 4pm
27th December Llanarmon Dyffryn Ceiriog 7pm
29th December Capel Cefnblodwel Nantmawr, Oswestry 7pm
14th January Plygain Fawr Llanfihangel yng Ngnwnfa 6:30pm

1 Like

I’m trying to find a plygain on Pen Llyn and I’ve been told there’s one every year at St Rhedyw’ Church , Llanllyfni, 7am Christmas morning. I’m trying to check this still goes on so would be grateful if anyone else knows about this one. :slight_smile:

I’ve just seen the details for the Plygain service in Llandysul:

Plygain Carols in St Tysul’s Church, Llandysul

Wednesday 20th December, 7pm

1 Like

Gwasanaeth Plygain, Eglwys Unedig Rhos-y-Gad, Llanfairpwllgwyngyll

NOS SUL, NOSWYL NADOLIG, 24AIN RHAGFYR 2017 AM 7.00YH

Eitemau gan unigolion a phartion lleol

Casgliad tuag at Cymorth Cristnogol - Apêl Corwynt Cariad a Digartref Ynys Môn

Croeso cynnes i bawb, dewch yn llu i gefnogi.

2 Likes

Sunday, 7th January 2018. Plygain Welsh Carol Service at Jewin Chapel 70 Fann St, London EC1Y 0SA. 5pm

2 Likes

7 January 2018, 2-3pm
Cost Free
Suitability All
Join the congregation of Capel Minny Street at St Teilo’s Church for a ‘Plygain’ Service in celebration of Welsh Christmas traditions.

This is at St Fagans, outside Cardiff.

2 Likes

Is this that gorgeous little medieval church in the grounds of St Fagans? It would be amazing to hear plygain sung there!

Another one in January in Ceredigion:

Sul 14 Ionawr
Gwasanaeth Plygain Cymdeithas Ceredigion, Capel Blaenannerch 7.00yh. Croeso cynnes i bawb.

1 Like

St Teilo’s used to be in the Pontarddulais area. The associated grave yard is visible from the M4. I think the church ceased functioning as a church in the 50s or 60s and was moved to St Fagans later on and opened, and I think reconsecrated by Archbishop Rowan Williams in 2007/8. As it was a fairly ancient church it had been remodelled over the years and the historians and curators had to decide which era to recreate. Hence the somewhat unusual paintwork, to our modern eyes.

1 Like

2 Likes

Having watched a piece on Dal Ati Bore da on Plygain, i have realised that one of our smalll Methodist Churches on Gower had such services every year and may still do, for all I know, but I’m not sure how many still go there now. All the Churches in the Circuit were welcome and the Anglicans too. It was always the week before Christmas not after and, of course, in English, but by candlelight - yes, after dark - yes! The Church in Wales in our village held the Watch Night service on Christmas Eve and most of us went to,that as well!

Plygain

There is one in Abermule Montgomery in January Will try and find out when.

The one on the 12th Dec in Welshpool was cancelled due to the snow

We went to the one at John Hughes chapel Pontrobert at 6 on the morning of the 25th December. Amazing but discovered the hard way that my Welsh was not up to much lol

Have a picture if I knew how to put it on here.

1 Like

@tatjana can you explain how? I am not as good as you at explaining!

All about handling photos on this forum you can find in the topic “Let’s say something about (handling and uploading) photos (on this forum)”. I hope this helps.

1 Like

Diolch @tatjana

1 Like

Hi there. The problem seems to be in moving it across from my photo library. All I get is the code not the picture.

Have you seen @tatjana’s addition to the instructions? I just click on the uparrowonaline and then on the pic I want to insert, but that is on my laptop and is small enough. I am hopeless on anything complex!

Hi i am on an ipad/ iphone. usually it is simple enough but not today.

On my android phone I only see the code until I hit reply. You could try it and if, indeed, you only publish the code and not the picture you can always delete the message.

1 Like