Proud of her heritage

My daughter has international day at school on Friday. We are in England. Each class was given a country/continent to dress as or they could wear their own national dress. I’m 3/4 Welsh and so she decided that she HAD to dress Welsh. This arrived today :slight_smile:

She has also started using duolingo to learn Welsh. Has anyone had any success with children using SSiW? She in 9.

12 Likes

I’ve heard stories of people’s kids using SSiW; I forget the ages in question, but 9 seems plenty old enough to me. She might enjoy the old course more than the new one, since there’s more humour in it.

6 Likes

Quite a few people have either used SSiW specifically for their children, or found that doing it aloud with their children around had ended up with the kids picking a fair bit up - I’d say the key is probably to offer it to her in smaller chunks (maybe 5 or 10 minutes at first) and see how she feels once she realises that the memories are starting to build…:slight_smile:

1 Like

We’re trying SSiW with our 8 yo. (We’re all learners.) We do it in five minute chunks and there is fair amount of complaining. I do other things too like looking up welsh nursery rhymes to sing. We worked through to the first half of lesson 6a (South) in the old course and have got to Challenge 3 with her in the new course.

The best way it’s worked so far is when 8yo and me and my husband all sat down and all took it in turns to say the phrases. Mostly it’s just me and 8 yo taking it in turns. Hearing me practice encourages her I hope. I think 8 yo is doing well but she’s not keen at the moment. I hope that going to visit some welsh speaking friends before long might encourage her.

3 Likes

It all depends on motivation, doesn’t it? If you really want to learn something, you’ll try and work and your age is immaterial! If I was likely ever to live in Wales again, I’d put in a lot more effort! I know our young friend @Novem is a lot older than 8, but she is a wonderful example of someone who wanted to learn and did!
If your lovely young lady is proud enough of her heritage to want to dress the way her nain’s nain did, I bet she’ll do fine with SSiW @ElenTylwythTeg!

1 Like

I’d be inclined to back off a bit there, then - there’s a switch somewhere round about 8 where the ability to deal with longer sentences kicks forward a fair bit - but everyone gets to these points on a different timetable - so if it’s not giving her a sense of play and achievement right now, I’d let it slide with her for now (particularly if she can still hear you guys doing it from time to time).

I’m very keen to try and put something together specifically for younger children - I spent a year volunteering at my daughter’s school to get a better handle on which bits work when, and I think we could do something much more child-friendly. It’s tough to dig out the time, though - maybe before the end of this year, fingers crossed…

1 Like

Would it bean idea to use characters from Cyw? Or is that illegal? Someone here has started a thread on Cymraeg i’r teulu. Have you seen it @aran I can’t set up links when using iPad due to incompetence with touch key board!
Edit - thinks maybe Cymraeg i’r teulu is for very very young children?

That would be illegal without permission, yes.

1 Like

Thanks for the responses guys. I was driving her home from dance class this evening and put the first challenge on. We only listened to it for around 5-10 mins but by the time she got home she was making up her own sentences using the stuff from the lesson plus some other things I’d told her. She thought that ‘dwi’n hoffi coffi’ was funny but as she doesn’t like coffee she made me teach her ‘dwi ddim yn hoffi coffi’. And whilst there are other words for it, she loved popty ping :slight_smile: Also loved the fact that smwddio is to iron :slight_smile:

Odd sentences from her by the time we got home may not be grammatically correct but included:

Dwi’n moyn i popty ping ti
and
Dwi’n moyn dysgu sut i smwddio

I told her that the man on the podcasts says to just practice making up sentences. So she spent the rest of the evening doing just that :slight_smile:

9 Likes

@iestyn I think she means you! Moyn and hoffi gives away the fact that it was the southern course!

Kids are so creative with words, aren’t they!

That sounds as though you’ve managed to make it feel like fun for her - in which case, you’re on the home straight already… :slight_smile: :star2:

1 Like

I’ve got 6 children, the oldest (approaching 17) is speaking pretty good German now so I’ll celebrate her enthusiasm for that as a bilingual route. She only spends some time with us but the other 5 are with us full time.
We’ve a 12 year old who’s started at secondary school and is doing basic Welsh there, beginnings of Welsh as a second language course. She tried SSiW a few times over the last few months but never got past challenges 2/3. She tried but kept finding it too much of a challenge to accept her mistakes, kept going over the same bits and then was getting worried about getting it wrong, the worry was then making her switch off, (in fact one of the things she said when we were talking about learning Welsh was that she didn’t want to upset anyone if she got the answer wrong - dyna blant i chi! )
So a couple weeks ago I worked through challenge 2 with her getting her to listen to the English, try to say in Welsh, listen to Catrin, repeat with Aran every time, not to worry, not to be bothered by making mistakes etc etc. I’ve unleashed a linguistic beast! She’s flying through the challenges, is now choosing to do 2 back to back sessions every other evening and will soon be putting me to shame! It shows how sponge like childrens brains are!
Our 9 year old has been plodding through the challenges, slow and steady by himself without wanting me to help, up to challenge 10 and he has none of the fears I had or still have about speaking Welsh to other people. In fact the other day brother and sister were having one of their usual arguments in the car on the school run, but I didn’t stop them this time as they were arguing in Welsh (a fairly limited argument until thier vocab increases!) Each was trying to outdo each other with the angry sounding sentences they could construct!
Our 7 year old now wants to join in as she can hear brother and sister and me having basic gossips in Welsh. She asked this week if she could have a go at challenge one so maybe tonight, and the 4 and 5 year olds are picking up random Welsh words, but no direct SSiW.
So, apologies for the length of post, but it seems that they’re really keen to learn especially as we try to use bits of Welsh whenever we can around the home so it feels alive and natural to be bilingual or hopefully multilingual in time.

7 Likes

This was making me feel quite upset until you got to the spectacular happy ending!

Please tell her that we think she’s absolutely brilliant for having figured out back-to-back lessons on her own (and that we think it’s a particular excellent way to do it)… :star: :star2:

2 Likes

@Richmountart why ever did you apologise for the length of that wonderful post! It shows just how differently we all learn! Your 12 year old was like @tatjana aiming for perfection! When she realised she didn’t need to, wham! All of them teaching me that ‘why’ is less important than ‘what’ to say! Copy teachers, naughty dragon!!! And so on! Lessons for all! Inspiration for all! And a lesson for @aran that children certainly can learn with SSiW!