Pump am y Penwythnos / Friday Five 01/03/2019 5️⃣

Bore da and a Dydd Gwyl Dewi hapus to you all!

1. Do you have any plans to celebrate Dydd Gwyl Dewi today?

2. What would be your ideal Dydd Gwyl Dewi - where would you go, who would you be with, what would you do there, what would you eat and drink?

3. Today at 1pm @aran will be live on the Jeremy Vine show promoting the learning of Welsh and giving a mini Welsh lesson live on air. If you had the opportunity to speak to the nation to raise awareness for any subject, what would it be?

4. You have been chosen to promote Wales and Welsh on the international stage, therefore considering songs, books, food, drink, locations, celebrities, activities etc, what would be in your presentation?

5. Make up your own St David’s Day related question and answer it.

2 Likes
  1. What would be your ideal Dydd Gwyl Dewi?

Today, sitting in sunshine under a tree, looking at the flags flying on Owain Glyndwr’s Senedd building, and listening to Aran teaching Welsh on national radio. I felt a huge sense of pride. Which may sound a bit bumptious, as I had nothing to do with either man’s achievement, and I’m not even Welsh. But, yes, it was definitely pride. Happy St David’s Day, everyone!

2 Likes

Unfortunately not. However, my son has taken the car (and his girlfriend) to Caernarfon today which means I can ‘celebrate’ my Welshness in London knowing that a part of me is in Wales. Well, that would have been the case if he hadn’t just phoned me asking what breakdown cover the car has as he is currently on the hard shoulder just outside Oxford.

2. What would be your ideal Dydd Gwyl Dewi - where would you go, who would you be with, what would you do there, what would you eat and drink?

Not wishing to sound to sycophantic I think it would be randomly walking into a bar, buying a glass of wine and a packet of crisps, sitting down next to someone I didn’t recognise, start up a conversation in Welsh only to discover it was, well, Aran. And that’s exactly what happened last night after my welsh class in the London Welsh Centre.

3. Today at 1pm @aran will be live on the Jeremy Vine show promoting the learning of Welsh and giving a mini Welsh lesson live on air. If you had the opportunity to speak to the nation to raise awareness for any subject, what would it be?

Following the sycophantic theme I think I would just refer this one over to Aran. What an amazing half hour of radio today!!

4. You have been chosen to promote Wales and Welsh on the international stage, therefore considering songs, books, food, drink, locations, celebrities, activities etc, what would be in your presentation?

Oh, I have probably written too much already so I can’t go into too much detail on this one. However, I think I would do something around songs, books, food, drink, locations, celebrities, activities etc

Q. Which of these children from Bryn Mawr school became famous?

A. Ah, I know but not telling!!

4 Likes

Please tell! They all look starry to me, but my money’s on the girl at the far left of the second row down…

Second from the right, second row down. Blue jumper.

1 Like

It was lovely to meet you, Peter - thank you for such a warm welcome and lovely evening at the Centre… :slight_smile:

2 Likes
    I specifically grew daffodils and narcissi in the garden, and they appeared yesterday in flower. I knw I’d b busy lambing, so had nothing planned off the farm
    I’d stay here - home made bread, some cheese from the local produce place in Carmarthen, maybe a nice glass of white while watching a bit of TV in the evening, in between checking on sheep
    I listened to Aran, it was fabulous, and he really made it clear how it worked, and how successful it was being. I was very proud to be a tiny part of it. If I had to do something similar, it would be on horse treatment and horse behaviour.
    Local things like the Carmarthen food online store that promotes local producers, and allows them to distribute local food without needing a shop. Local music, and where they play, and resources specific to this area - sea food, hiking, coastal paths, mines, heritage, and of course the language. 2nd most spoken language in the UK behind English.
    If a lamb is born on St Davids Day, and all your other lambs are named after chocolate products, like Aero, Mars, Snickers, Bounty, Rolo etc. And this latest lamb is absolutely enormous, do you still name him David, or go with 5kgCateringPack… because of his size ?
1 Like

Re. 5 - NOOOOO! How about Double Decker? Or if Canadian chocolate is allowed, Mr. Big, or Wunderbaaaaa…

1 Like

There is a DoubleDecker - but loving the idea of Wunderbaaaa !

I give in - who is he?

Photo, please!

I will be really, really impressed if you guess. The he is a she. If inspirationless (um, just like when I type Welsh words I got that sguigilly red line underneath it, oops, another sguigilly line under sguigilly) by the end of the day then all will be revealed.

Is this Bryn Mawr in the USA? Could it be Michelle Obama perhaps??

His mother has carefully left him next to her food bowl. Her current 2 favourite things !

2 Likes

Poor @bronwenlewis, pipped to the post by you John. Yes it is. The name of the school has changed now and, of course, it is not in Wales but the USA.

2 Likes

No probs, I’d still be guessing in a year’s time, especially as I thought she was a boy…

2 Likes