Pump am y Penwythnos / Friday Five 13/03/2020 5️⃣

Now seems like a good time - and this forum seems like a good place - for us to stick together and help each other keep our spirits up! Here goes…

1) Which song, never fails to make you feel happy? Please share a link if you have one.

2) If I were to watch a feel-good/funny film this evening to lift my spirits, what would you recommend I watch?

3) Go on, I know you want to … tell us a joke! If you have one in Welsh and English, then go for it!

4) When is the last time you laughed till you cried?

5) Has a book ever made you laugh out loud?

6) Make up your own good cheer Friday Five question and answer it…

Much love and laughter and a happy weekend to all! :smile:

6 Likes

1) Which song, never fails to make you feel happy? Please share a link if you have one.

I asked the team here and they said “Gaston” from beauty and the beast:

2) If I were to watch a feel-good/funny film this evening to lift my spirits, what would you recommend I watch?

I love the film Green Book. It’s a very heartwarming story

3) Go on, I know you want to … tell us a joke! If you have one in Welsh and English, then go for it!

Man walks into a library and says: “do you have any books on turtles?”
Librarian:“hard back?”
Man: “and little heads, yes”

This isn’t the last time but, there is a recipe for Christmas Vodka cake on line, it never fails to make me cry. Especially if I read it aloud.

Yes. I can’t think of which one but yes. Also, my dad said he used to go to the library to read Spike Milligan because he couldn’t laugh out loud so it made it funnier.

What did the fish say when he swam into a wall?
Dam

6 Likes
  1. Which song, never fails to make you feel happy? Please share a link if you have one.

The Proclaimers, 500 miles. With a Scottish, walking husband and family connections to Auchtermuchty, their home town it ticks a lot of boxes.

1. If I were to watch a feel-good/funny film this evening to lift my spirits, what would you recommend I watch?

Babe, the sheep pig. Or anything by Nick Parkes. Wallace and Gromit. Shaun the Sheep. Chicken Run. Curse of the Werewolf. Things that adults will pick up that their children will miss.

1. Go on, I know you want to … tell us a joke! If you have one in Welsh and English, then go for it!

Out of jokes at the moment. Catrin knows why.

1. When is the last time you laughed till you cried?

Can’t remember. But my husband was fixing a computer for an acquaintance who had been scammed by ‘BT’. This woman is absolutely terrified of computers and Roland said that she had ‘the technical nous of a mouldy carrot’ which kept us all smiling.

1. Has a book ever made you laugh out loud?

Lost for Words, by Deric Longden. I remember reading, out loud, the passage about his mother’s cat Whisky using the catflap, backwards. I was heavily pregnant at the time and I’m sure it brought labour on.

1. Make up your own good cheer Friday Five question and answer it…

The weather, for once is good. What are you doing over the weekend to celebrate it?
Tooting Bec park run, although I only walk it.

4 Likes

:heart::heart::heart:

1 Like

Hello Muddah, Hello Faddah
No brainer - ask Aran - Blues Brothers :smile:
Physicists roll on the floor at this one:
Niels Bohr (Danish Nobel winner) on visiting Ernest Rutherford (Kiwi Nobel winner) at his laboratory in Manchester University spots a horseshoe nailed to the lab door.
Niels “Look here, Ernest, you don’t really believe in this stuff, do you?”
Ernest: “Of course not, Niels, but I understand it works even if you don’t believe in it” :rofl::rofl:
When my trousers fell down in front of my mother-in-law over Christmas. She is 93 and laughed so much then and for the next week that I thought we might lose her.
Most of Terry Pratchett, Douglas Adams, James Thurber as well as Pickwick Papers (believe it or not)
Q: Who can I get lovely, warm cwtshes from whenevr I want?
A: Pala our girl kitten (but not her brother, Pili), Izzie my granddaughter (if I ask nicely); Maureen (ditto) and my son’s smelly Labrador Oscar (no questions asked) :sunny::smiley:

Back at ya :heart:

5 Likes

Also, just to brighten your day. Here is my son, Trystan Wyn, dressed as a zebra

12 Likes

So sweet! :heart:

1 Like

1) Which song, never fails to make you feel happy? Please Lovely Day - Bill Withers share a link if you have one. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7s6VbOEnsgk

2) If I were to watch a feel-good/funny film this evening to lift my spirits, what would you recommend I watch? Yesterday – Beatles music based movie from last year

3) Go on, I know you want to … tell us a joke! If you have one in Welsh and English, then go for it! Knock Knock! Who’s there?
Control Freak. Con… OK, now you say, “Control Freak who?”

4) When is the last time you laughed till you cried? Watching this 4 minutes long but well worth it … https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3yRv5Jg5TI

5) Has a book ever made you laugh out loud? Anything by Nick Spalding

6) Make up your own good cheer Friday Five question and answer it… What is your favourite children’s TV show?

2 Likes

Hilarious book! Nearly fell off a ladder listening to that.

1 Like

Gogol Bordello - I Would Never Wanna Be Young Again. A song of utter abandonment and joy. It’s my perennial birthday song. https://youtu.be/BU9btoj-z9o

I’m struggling to think of a film that’s both funny and feel-good, which says something about my sense of humour! I’ll go with Captain Fantastic.

I’m terrible at jokes, but here goes…
A cruise ship was sailing past a tiny island.
“Who’s that guy over there?” said the first mate, pointing to a man in rags running up and down the shore, waving his arms wildly.
“I don’t know”, said the captain, “but he goes crazy every year when we pass him.”

I can’t tell you. It was reminiscing about one of those experiences that’s so terrible to live through that you have to lose your grip on reality to survive. Laughter makes you stronger.

I’ll tell you instead about the time my Auntie told me about returning a book to someone in a college, getting lost before she even got in the building and having to fight her way through a bush, then stumbling in through a back door and ending up walking (more and more slowly) along a corridor that had been freshly glued for tiling. I think I laughed tears for a week. It was even funnier than the time she knocked her teacher out with a clothes dryer.

Frequently. Ben Aaranovitch’s Rivers of London series makes me chuckle a lot because he writes Sierra Leonean women really well.

Q: What do you do to reset your mood?
A: Put on loud music and dance.

Ditto

7 Likes

“The Delicious Tomato Song” ~> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVDzInhTHYc

“Howl’s Moving Castle” by Hayao Miyazaki

A ghost enters a pub.
Bartender: “Sorry, we don’t serve spirits”

Last week ago at work, I think. We got a truly ugly blouse to write about for our company’s online shop and came up with lots of creative ways to describe it honestly - sadly, we couldn’t use either of those ideas.

Several, in fact. The last one was “Good Omens” by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman.

What do you do on a really hot day?
Go to my friend and say “Moisturise me!”

3 Likes

Hello Dolly - Barbara Streisand

Paul
Airplane
The Birdcage
Shaun of The Dead
The Heat
Planes, Trains and Automobiles
The Naked Gun
The Blues Brothers

Sorry, couldn’t stop… :rofl:

What do you call a woman balancing six pints of ale on her head?
Beatrix.

Probably sharing potty jokes with our 9 year old, Beuno - once he starts I can’t stop. I also have two sisters who will laugh at anything and will keep on going till they can’t breathe.

Harri Parri’s tales of Porth yr Aur

3 Likes

The Beatles - I Want to Hold Your Hand. It was the first song I ever learned in my life (at the age of 2), and I still remember sitting on a little playground wall in Liverpool while my much older/wiser (aged 6) cousin taught it to me.

Bride and Prejudice (musical Bollywood remake of Pride and Prejudice)

Sorry - I’m rubbish at remembering jokes.

Yesterday, watching a YouTube video of a little dog giving people advice about COVID19; but let’s give COVID19 a rest, shall we? One of the best “laughed till I cried” events I’ve ever had (and I’ve had a lot) was when my son was around seven years old. We were getting into the car to go to school/work and he was chirping away about a documentary he saw the day before: “Mum, did you know that elephants put their trunks in their mouths when they’re going to sneeze?” “No, Luv, I didn’t know that.” “Yes, it’s true. That’s why there’s no snot on the savanah.”
I laughed so hard I couldn’t start driving for a good 10 minutes.

Many! Off the top of my head, though, I’d say “A beginner’s guide to Acting English” by Shappi Khorsandi and (and I’m honestly not going for brownie points here) “Some Sex and a Hill” by our own Aran Jones.

If you had unlimited time and money (and things were normal in the world), where would you most like to be right now?
My answer: In Llandudno Junction, in my old house, in front of the fire, eating chokkie bikkies with Garry and Ronnie (cousins/brothers).

2 Likes

This was our first dance song :slight_smile:

1 Like

This classic. I have the soundtrack album which was produced the same year I was born - kudos for buying that Mum & Dad!

‘Galaxy Quest’ - A parody of science-fiction films and series, especially Star Trek and its fandom. It stars Tim Allen, Sigourney Weaver, Alan Rickman, Tony Shalhoub, Sam Rockwell and Daryl Mitchell.

This one works better in audio than in script, so I recorded it.

Watching ‘Foil, Arms and Hog’ sketches - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzb-6smlTg5UPirLdsdQ_cQ

Yes, several, but the one that sticks in my mind is ‘500 mile Walkies’ by Mark Wallington

What colour makes you happiest?
Green

3 Likes

And there was me, thinking that the three of us were the only sisters who laughed until our clothes were soaked with tears, we got stomach ache and hiccups, and finally had to go outdoors separately to recover. It used to drive my mother crazy.

2 Likes