Radio Cymru listen for 30 mins Level 2 challenge

The challenge this week for me is to listen to 30 mins of Radio Cymru and report on how it went. I listened to a section on business and I was cheerfully encouraged by how much I could pick up of the Cymraeg. Filling in the bits I didin’t know was easier as I understood a lot more of the Welsh.
Not all but I’m hoping that will come in time.
I have also listened in the last hour or so, but have to say I didn’t quite follow as much this time, maybe it was the structure of the show “Cat a cats” or my frame of mind today, not sure lol.

I do find however, and I’m sorry to say this, that the music content apart from the odd track is not to my taste at all.

I think that had a lot to do with todays session being less successful for me; my concentration was dulled by the music interludes (Sorry). The business section I listened to was all chat for the most part, which was “easier” to follow. I need to be more selective of the programme I listen to I think.
As with everything some content/presenters appeal and some don’t.
All in all though a positive experience because I’ve learnt what I do and don’t like to listen to on Radio Cymru :slight_smile:
Anyway that my 2 pence worth. I will continue to tune in…Diolch

6 Likes

Sounds like you’re doing good, for a first attempt! :wink:

When I started trying to listen to Radio Cymru, I randomly picked whatever was on in that moment and…oh well…I have to confess I had the same problems! :grimacing:

Since my first priority was/is improving my understanding of fluent spoken Welsh, I looked for programmes without music. It might be interesting for you to know…there actually are a few!
Sorry, I can’t remember the full list right now, but there’s one I’m sure of:

As for music, I haven’t done a lot of research yet but even though most programmes seem to like to put a bit of everything - some are a bit more selective.
I don’t know what kind of music you usually enjoy, but chances are that someday you will find one that suits your taste, then!

By the way, I’ve found one for me:

3 Likes

Diolch am yr help. Dw i’n hoffi cerddoriaith roc, dim llawer o werin @gisella-albertini :slight_smile:

1 Like

Radio Cymru does try a be a bit of everything for everyone. It does follow traditional radio formats. Music wise Radio Cymru does the Cymraeg version of daytime radio, Cymraeg ‘golden oldies’. The mid evening slots (7-10pm) are a bit more contempory, with the DJs all providing a general mix of contempory Cymraeg music and music from other languages, coloured by their personal tastes. Very generally it’s:
Mondays - Rhys Mwyn - Rock
Tuesdays - Georgia Ruth Williams - Folk (my personal favourite)
Wednesdays - Lisa Gwilym - Pop
Thursdays - Huw Stephens - Indie / Electronica
yet they all play a bit of everything

4 Likes

That’s the most important thing - well done! :star: :star2:

2 Likes