Reading Welsh

Folks cananyone suggest some easy reading for the Welsh learner please? Ssiw is superb but I would like to give the ears a break from time to time and just read. Thanks. Richard

2 Likes

I started with Lingo Newydd, it is bi-monthly magazine and has learners vocab boxes next to articles etc. Easy to google and find out where to get a copy. Pob lwc :smile:

5 Likes

Hi Richard, I came across a site recently that you might find useful:

http://readlang.com

They have articles there, ranging from beginnerā€™s stuff to more complicated ones, and it translates words and phrases you donā€™t know right on the page for you.

There isnā€™t much for Cymraeg, as itā€™s still in the beta stage, but Iā€™ve found it very useful.

3 Likes

Thanks everyone

(Hope Iā€™m allowed to hop in ā€¦)

Thanks for this @Karla from my end too. I see there are more languages and all of those Iā€™ve learnt once so yup, again something to revive my knowledge. And something what works on mobile devices what is superb.

Diolch yn fawr iawn.

1 Like

Youā€™re welcome, just glad I can help!

And of course youā€™re allowed to jump inā€¦I donā€™t see why you wouldnā€™t be! :smile:

1 Like

Or you might like the bite sized wildlife descriptions in Iolo Williamā€™s Natur Cymru, or his other Bird or flower books. Yes, it is for adults but youā€™ll spot some real gems with words like ā€˜colldailā€™ (lose leaves: deciduous). Or another bite sized offering might be one of Elliw Gwawrā€™s baking books - a bit of context, a good helping of dictionary and something nice to eat at the end.

I believe Iā€™ll sign for this one and try to do some reading and learning on my tablet while Iā€™m on the bus. Would use some reading in German and Italian aswell so this is ultra useful! And for the pure knowledge, it contains Slovene language too (Slovenski jezik) also BETA yet but Iā€™m surprised itā€™s there at all! :slight_smile:

Diolch once again. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thatā€™s great! I do really like the fact that they donā€™t just have the ā€˜popularā€™ languages on thereā€¦I was even a little shocked they had Cymraeg, to be honest!

1 Like

So am I delighted too and I was more shocked that they have Slovene language as itā€™s almost nowhere to find on those sites (however memrise has it too).

I donā€™t actually know why, but, for the difference of you I kind of expect Cymraeg to be everywhere and am not surprised if I actually find it elswhere. Iā€™m actually very pleased that many things are developed for Cymraeg and in Cymraeg. This is good sign for the language. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I agree, I think itā€™s wonderful that it has such a global community working to keep it alive.

I suppose I never expect sites to have it because a most of the more mainstream language courses which Iā€™ve come across only have 8 or 9 of the most common languages for tourists to learn and nothing else.

If you are prepared to try a book - The Diary of Bridget Jones by Bethan Gwanas - was specially written with learners in mind. There are so many books available written for learners that it is impossible to list them. They all usually have a list of words at the bottom of the page to help you understand and are good tyo help you improve your vocabulary. It is often said that some of the childrens books are good for learnersā€¦

2 Likes

I just started to dabble with reading (I am currently in the early lessons of Course 2). Iā€™ve bought two books so far, both meant for learners. One is ā€œE-ffrindiauā€ by Lois Arnold. Itā€™s written as an e-mail correspondence between two learners, and the language gets more complex as they learn more and the book goes along. I have read the first two chapters, and I am quite thrilled to be able to read a book in Welsh, even if it is an easy one so far! (I imagine Iā€™ll have to put it aside for a while when the characters have learned more than I have. :slight_smile: ) The second one is ā€œCant y Cantā€, which is 100 non-fiction essays, each 100 words. Iā€™ve only read one or two so far, but it also seems great for a relatively early learner. Both of these books have vocab at the bottom of the page, which is very helpful.

Iā€™d like to check out Lingo Newydd. Unfortunately it doubles the price to ship it overseas, but perhaps when my birthday comes, Iā€™ll put it on my list. I also want to try the Bridget Jones books. But I know itā€™s more important for me to focus on my SSiW lessons than read, so I need to not let myself buy too many books!

3 Likes

Hey Anna,

Sgŵp by Lois Arnold was great, too. And agreed on the cost of Lingo Newydd! I emailed them once to suggest/plead with them to do an e-version (since they do already for some of their other publications), but they didnā€™t even bother to answer my email. I would love to subscribe myself, but itā€™s too cost prohibitive for me, also in the US.

Joanie

4 Likes

@joanie Oh, thanks for that, I didnā€™t know about Sgŵp! An e-version of Lingo Newydd would be perfect - too bad they didnā€™t respond to your request :angry:

Just a note: Iā€™ve tried Readlingo this morning (yup at approximately 5:40 am) and found it prety useful especially as you, when reading, only tap on the word and it translates as it translates the whole sentence if you mark it. So far so good. Iā€™m satisfied. :slight_smile:

@AnnaC I have to say you had woken interest in me for that ā€œE-ffrindiauā€ book. Iā€™m kind of ā€œtech personā€ so this sounds interesting to me as it goes through e-corresponence. It might be I get some idea what to do and how to do next. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Helo everyone, I am also mid-way through reading e-ffriendiau. Wish I had a penfriend now :slight_smile:

1 Like

Those of you who are reading, about what level would you say you are? Or how much SSiW have you done? I love reading, but am a bit trepaditious about how much Iā€™ll understand. The only book Iā€™ve read in Welsh is Ffrindiau Gorau, all 16 pages of it, found in the box of Tomā€™s toys from when he was a toddlerā€¦ Persi Ceidwad y Parc was too difficult :pensive:

If itā€™s going to knock your confidence then leave it for a while. The main thing is to become a confident speaker and once you have a re-assuring feeling that you can speak Welsh (albeit with a ton of mistakes :wink: ), it will be much easier for you to get over the hurdle of the new challenge of reading.

1 Like

Any of the books by Ifor Owen - lots of help with the grammar, interesting stories and the pages of translations are at the back which I find more helpful than at the bottom of the page - it stops me cheating!!
Also the Blodwen Jones books by Bethan Gwanas, although I find the three books written by Lois Arnold the most useful as they are written in South Wales Welsh.

1 Like