Receiving S4C and Radio Cymru outside Wales in the UK

The coverage map in this link shows that Moel-Y-Parc could be your culprit after all.

1 Like

You probably live in an overlap area where you are able to choose which transmitter you would like to view from. I also live in an overlap area. Where I am I can get Wales or West of England. Although my aerial needs to be facing towards the correct transmitter or it won’t pick anything up!

That said, it would be interesting if smart TVs are capable of sourcing regions outside of your own - like Scotland or even London from Manchester. Let us know your results! :smiley:

As I’ve said before, i used to live in South Manchester (Rusholme) and we could pick up S4C and Welsh telly on terrestrial! Then when digital came in, you could choose any region, so could happily flick between regions for BBC & ITV and get telly from home. I don’t know if they are all still transmitted; it’s a lot of bandwidth for a niche reason.
Presumably if you still have an aerial you just need to point it towards the nearest Welsh transmitter (ours was pointed the other way to the others in the street for some reason, they knew I was coming or something.) Hopefully this won’t involve clambering around on the roof!

3 Likes

I think this is the case, I’ve tested and I can get North West England, Wales or the Isle of Man…

1 Like

I actually live in Wales, but not having a TV I rely on watching S4C online. I was happily doing this until recently when suddenly it stopped working on my iPad Mini. I go to the Clic website, click on the programme I want and it flashes the beginning for an instant, then goes to a grey screen with just technical information written in white.

I have a Windows laptop so I’ve had to start watching S4C on that, but the iPad Mini was a handy size for watching Pobol y Cwm at the kitchen table while eating breakfast.

Is there anyone that might have a suggestion as to what has gone wrong? Could it be just an issue with my iPad? The website on my laptop has changed recently too. Even though I have the latest Adobe Flash player installed, it asks permission to use it every time I go to the S4C/Clic site. It didn’t used to do that.

Have you tried to use the S4C app?

1 Like

Ah, no, that didn’t even occur to me. I’m so used to having ‘Download our App’ screamed at me if I go to a website on my phone or tablet that when that doesn’t happen I don’t think of it!

I tried it this morning though, found the app, and it was a bit weird to use at first - in other words different to the website - but I found ‘Pobol y Cwm’ and watched it with breakfast. Diolch yn fawr Rob :thumbsup:

3 Likes

Croeso!

One thing to watch out for (I use the Android version, so your mileage may vary) is that the link to watch live is confusingly difficult to find - you first have to click the Gwylio S4C button and then hit the ‘hamburger’ menu on the top right and choose Gwylio’n fyw from near the bottom of the menu. I don’t know why they’ve hidden it away like that, or if it’s more obvious on the Apple version. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Well, considering I only found Pobol y Cwm by going to the timetable for ‘Ddoe’, then scrolling to the evening programmes, I think that tip will be very handy :smile:

2 Likes

And if you don’t already do so (on your iPad), you can also listen to Radio Cymru via the iPlayer Radio app (well, I also only have Android, but I’m sure there is one for the iPad).

There is.

I’ll definitely have to do that. My old transistor radio (anyone remember those?) emits a very annoying humming sound all the time now so it’s pretty much come to the end of its life span. Sounds like I need the Radio Cymru app!

2 Likes

It looks like I am in the coverage area for Moel-y-Parc (just about) in Farnworth near Bolton. But as I am renting the house, the Landlord might not appreciate me pointing the aerial away from Winter Hill.

Maybe I should mount my own spare aerial somewhere it can easily be removed and point in Westwards…

You may not need to. According to the Freeview website:

" In nearly all cases, when you tune your TV or recorder your aerial will pick up signals from only one transmitter with the correct channels and appropriate regional variations. However, it is possible for an aerial to pick up signals from more than one transmitter when it’s positioned in an area where the coverage of two or more transmitters overlaps."

Just doing what RachelH did may be sufficient (selecting Wales as your region). If not then your solution sounds good.

The good news from this thread is that learners who live within say 50 miles of the border are pretty well catered for in respects of Welsh language radio and television!

Here’s a link to some info from S4C for international viewers :smiley:
https://www.s4c.cymru/en/international/