Rownd a Rownd

You linked to them up here:

The summaries seem to try to avoid spoilers (perhaps so that they can be used in programme guides issued ahead of time etc.), so they tend to use a style along the lines of

John visits Mary, and is surprised to see who else is there. Paul wants to apologise to Sarah, but will his words have the desired effect?

But still better than nothing for catching up on some backstory!

1 Like

We all know that Mr Lloyd speaks a rather conservative Welsh.

There were two things I heard from him recently which I considered notable:

1. Mi rydach chiā€™n ddynes arbennig iawn ā€œYou are a very special womanā€ (to Megan) ā€“ with an r- verb form that reminded me of Cymraeg Fyw but here probably simply marks him as a bit formal?

2. gynna i (donā€™t remember the context, perhaps mae gynna i ofn) ā€“ I think I had come across this form before somewhere, but itā€™s not the form taught by WJEC courses as far as I know (they have gen i, as does SSiW-North if Iā€™m not mistaken).

Does anyone know how widespread this form is in the north? I think the sources I had seen this before from where from the north(-west) as well. One of them, I think, was a commenter on a Duolingo sentence discussion and I think he might have been from Anglesey.

There seems to be a song called Gynnai Ofn as well (and I had seen gynnai as one word before as well). I suppose it fits a bit into the pattern formed by gynn- as in gynnoch chi and -a i as in arna i.

1 Like

Itā€™s pretty common - Iā€™ve definitely heard it from people from Ynys MĆ“n - it doesnā€™t really feel like a different word, to be honest, so much as a pronunciation thing, so I wouldnā€™t be surprised if you could find people who vary between the formsā€¦

2 Likes

And I think that he has a really nice clarity of diction which makes him one of the easier characters to understand. [quote=ā€œphilipnewton, post:282, topic:578ā€]
rydach chiā€™n
[/quote]

Is how Iā€™ve heard older generation Welsh speakers in our area, particularly while gossiping outside Chapel!

2 Likes

Thanks both!

1 Like

Could someone fill me in, please, on who Gareth is and what he did to Philip and Terry+Glenda that he wants to apologise for now?

Philip says Gareth caused him to lose his wife and nearly lose his job?

1 Like

Terry and Glenda took Gareth in as a foster child last year. He is not the first foster child they have taken in, but that history is before my time. They tried very hard with him, but he was a very troubled child. I donā€™ t think his father was in the picture, and his mother was hospitalized for her own issues. People were really trying to help him - especially Glenda, and Mathew, who encouraged his talent for running at school. But in the end, after Kylie (whom he liked) broke a date and made fun of him, and Mathew wouldnā€™t let him run in a big race after he shoved a teacher at school (Llio), he got angry and wanted revenge, and he set Philipā€™s shop on fire. Alwena was upstairs, sick, and on hearing the alarm tried to go downstairs, but ended up falling down the stairs and being seriously injured. She almost died. Her difficult recovery is what sent her to Spain, and that was the beginning of the end of her marriage to Philip. The shop/cafe were significantly damaged in the fire, and they were closed for quite a while, and had to be renovated. Gareth hid for a while after the fire, injured, but when he decided to contact Mathew, he ended up getting caught and taken away by the police. Thatā€™s the last weā€™ve seen of him, until now.

Hope that helps! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Just to add to AnnaCā€™s excellent summary, Terry and Glendaā€™s previous foster child, a girl, was by contrast a poster-child for successful fostering. After a difficult start in life (which was before my time as well), she did well at school, and had a place at Durham University. She did make one mistake, which was to become pregnant after a drunken one-night stand with someone she didnā€™t like. But she made the best of that, still passed her A levels, and went off to uni as a single mum, but with the father (who wanted to be a supportive Dad) also going to Durham U. to be there for her. She regarded T & G as parents, and they regarded her as their child.

So she couldnā€™t have been more different from Gareth, and Gareth, who was difficult in any case, suffered by comparison.

2 Likes

Thanks for that backstory, @mikeellwood!

Just to add a little theory to @AnnaC and @mikeellwoodā€™s accounts I think the reason that Gareth rebelled so much is that it would be impossible for him to live up to his dadā€™s expectations. After all, being the son of God (in the show Dim Byd) would have put a huge amount of pressure on any young personā€™s shoulders and it was only a small slip to the dark side. :joy::joy::smiling_imp:

Sorry. :wink:

3 Likes

Oh, so this is why his dad is absent in RaRā€¦heā€™s in another show! :grin:

Since I wasnā€™t able to watch Dim Byd, your analysis really clears things up for me! Diolch! :joy: :wink:

1 Like

Exactly, you canā€™t really be a deity, be gaffer of the heavens and the earth and be expected to successfully raise a kid. :blush:

Thatā€™s why, in my opinion, God is depicted as a man. No hope when it comes to real multitasking. :wink:

1 Like

Really enjoyed the awkward conversation between Meical and Vince in the latest episode, just how a couple of guys would tackle that sort of problem. :joy:

3 Likes

It does indeed, thank you very much AnnaC!

I had also not heard before why Alwena had gone to Spain, so that ties up part of that loose end for me as well.

Thanks also to Mike for some more foster-children backstory.

I thought much the same :laughing:

ā€œOh, but Michelle will be so disappointed! - Iā€™m sure; and so will Cathryn!ā€ :joy:

Also, that Megan, driving up in her car and parking in the disabled spot at the hospital to change into the bus with all those commoners.

Her facial expressions at times made me wonder how much longer she can keep up that mask of doting friend if it seems such a burden for herā€¦

1 Like

Heh heh ā€¦ we still havenā€™t got the full backstory for Megan have we? But it looks like she must be married, and apparently quite well off (but obviously keen to take Mr Lloyd (I canā€™t quite bring myself to use his first nameā€¦he is always ā€œMr Lloydā€! :slight_smile: ) for as much as she canā€¦although sheā€™s only managed to get a few hundred so far hasnā€™t she? (on the telly).

2 Likes

Iā€™ve been wondering exactly the same thing.

Or has beenā€¦maybe she marries rich older men to get their money when they pass on, in serial fashion? Not that I want anything bad to happen to Mr Lloyd, heā€™s so sweet!

2 Likes

Omaigod! (Copyright: Aran Jones): thatā€™s her plan is it? Get him to change the will thenā€¦

ā€¦ā€œThis coffee tastes a bit strange Megan fach? Is the milk off or something?ā€

ā€œI thought you were starting a cold Edwin cariad, so I put a little drop of whisky in itā€¦drink it up quick now, so itā€™ll do you the most goodā€¦ā€

3 Likes

This plot needs an unlikely hero.
Maybe Arthur will deliver a parcel to her real address and become suspicious.
(ivā€™e never written for a soap, honest).

There could be a fun list of alternative scenarios here, and see who is nearest.

Cheers J.P.

2 Likes

I did wonder when I saw @aran write this recently how ā€œrealā€ it was - one of those words like Ć“lreit, which I find amusing! :slight_smile:

Oh, no! I was actually thinking she just waited for them to die, not that she was a serial killer! :scream: Now you have me worriedā€¦

You are absolutely right!

Www, fun! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Well Iā€™m pretty sure Dani used it fairly recently. :slight_smile:

Iā€™m not sure that sheā€™s all that much younger than Mr Lloyd, so Iā€™m not sure that she can afford to wait around for nature to take its course.

Anyway, look on the bright side; it might mean weā€™ll have another court case heard in Welsh! :slight_smile:

2 Likes